Sponsored

Anyone's dealer requiring large ($1k) deposit?

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They will eventually require some of money down to separate serious buyers vs folks who just put the $100 deposit.
If I was a dealer I would want all the phonies with $100 to place orders - I'd then hope they back out once the vehicle was built. Then I can start building stock that I can slap ADM on and tons of aftermarket parts and make a lot more money on the 1 vehicle, because someone backed out.
Sponsored

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I was a dealer I would want all the phonies with $100 to place orders - I'd then hope they back out once the vehicle was built. Then I can start building stock that I can slap ADM on and tons of aftermarket parts and make a lot more money on the 1 vehicle, because someone backed out.
That's a good point. I think all the dealers are going to be screwed the first year given how large the reserve list is. And I wonder if some dealers will limit how many reservations they'll actually accept.

Deposits will help, but if you have a lot of serious buyers then you are screwed on ordering ones for stocking inventory.

Shirt8u1

Wildtrak
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone had issues with their dealer?? I went to the dealer that was nearest to me and the one Ford provided. I went to order, and they want a $1,000 deposit just to order the vehicle. I can see some deposit (even on top of the $100 for the reservation), but a grand seemed excessive. Anyone else have this issue??
I stopped by my Ford dealer today.
8/12/20
And ask about a deposit to order.
He said no, but I was a Good Customer..
We will see.
I ask him questions about Broncos.
He doesnt know any more than we do.

Drinxxs04

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I spoke with my dealer as well about the xplan. They said they will be accepting it and don’t have many details yet, and will let me know as they know. The dealer has a specific rep for just the broncos and he reserved one for himself as well. He said he was not sure but he believes it will be like most all other vehicle orders anywhere from $500 to $1000 deposit to order for delivery, and said will have the option to put it towards the final cost. Metro Ford in Madison Wi. Completely acceptable upon ordering the vehicle. I did $600 for my Grand Cherokee in 2018.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why is everyone so shocked by this.....

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That's a good point. I think all the dealers are going to be screwed the first year given how large the reserve list is. And I wonder if some dealers will limit how many reservations they'll actually accept.

Deposits will help, but if you have a lot of serious buyers then you are screwed on ordering ones for stocking inventory.
There will be a good percentage backing out. Dealers will be making serious cash on those when they put them on their lot. The more they reserve the more odds they'll have some to sell at their price. That's how i'd be looking at it if i were a dealer.

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally I will be happy to give up to a $1000 deposit when I order mine in December. I want to know that Bronco is mine and that I have some recourse against the dealer if they try to sell it from under me. Make sure you get All the paperwork signed.

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I heard from someone that there's a dealer that wants 5K for the order and you'll still be charged the invoice price ?
That’s ADM (additional dealer markup). Go to another dealer.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

From what Ford has said it doesn't matter for that dealer if they get 5 or 500 reservations booked through (and subsequently ordered) through them - Ford is putting building and delivering reservation-based orders ahead of all other orders. So a dealer that limited the number of reservations they accept (don't see HOW they could do that and also can't see WHY they would) isn't going to be able to more quickly fill their lot with stock vehicles - they'll be sitting around with their thumb up their butt waiting for Ford to complete all of the other reservations before they turn their attention to the next round of builds.

On the matter of deposits I'm OK with a reasonable amount - up to $500. At this point it's entirely likely that my order wouldn't come until the end of the 2021 cycle or even early 2022 cycle. I don't have any desire to park cash in somebody else's account for what could end up being close to a year. I'd be willing to meet in the middle if a larger deposit is a firm requirement by upping the amount once the order progresses to a certain stage. I've ordered vehicles in the past that took ~4-ish months or more to build and deliver, never more than $100 deposit. If a customer balks after delivery the dealer isn't out anything other than some possible ill will with Ford if they have an amount that's deemed excessive but they get to ADM the crap out of all those no-buys.

Sponsored

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As of now my dealer is telling me no additional deposit on top of my $100 for reservation for ordering. I don’t know if that’s going to be their standard practice or because I work there

LalasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco (past), 74 Super Beetle, Ram, 70 MG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer said they weren't sure if they'd require one or not but if they did it would be $500 or $1000. I didn't ask yet if that is refundable or not. I am hoping that it will be only bc I'm nervous as hell to order a vehicle that I can't see or drive beforehand. I love it and want it. And it couldn't possibly drive harder than the 69 that I owned.....but I'm still nervous!

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer said they weren't sure if they'd require one or not but if they did it would be $500 or $1000. I didn't ask yet if that is refundable or not. I am hoping that it will be only bc I'm nervous as hell to order a vehicle that I can't see or drive beforehand. I love it and want it. And it couldn't possibly drive harder than the 69 that I owned.....but I'm still nervous!
Do NOT do it if it isn't explicitly stated as being refundable. A dealer requiring it to be non-refundable is not a dealer you want to be doing business with.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
a legitimate dealer will never ask for a deposit to place an order. I custom ordered a 2013 Raptor, 2019 Raptor and 2016 Focus RS and never left a deposit.

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In WA state they can require a deposit to make a special order, however, it's not a legal agreement to buy and you can back out at any time.**

**HOWEVER, if you custom order a car, such as the "Christmas 7-series" that a buddy who was finance manager for BMW Seattle was forced to order (740iL bright green exterior with bright red leather interior and white headliner, it was HIDEOUS!), by law the dealer can hold your deposit until the vehicle you ordered sells, and if you ordered something which must be discounted to sell, such as the Christmas 7-series, then you're liable for the market loss the dealer incurred.

In that case, 8 months after delivery the dealership had to wholesale the vehicle off for $7K under MSRP just to dump it and the person who ordered was required to stump up the remaining $6K owed to the dealership for his stupid order..... (he rolled the $6K into purchasing a non-Christmas 7-series).

All that being said, for the Bronco, they would sell the vehicle quickly due to demand and probably give you your $1K back as soon as you refused delivery.
Sponsored