Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This looks like a really long version of my road, but more fun because you don't have to drive on it when you're on the way to work. Is there a particular road/trail you took? We've been going to state forests and management areas on the weekend. There are some good 4x4 trails down by Croom I want to check out, too.
Different ones each time so far, since I'm exploring it all for the first time. In every case, though, I take a look at the National Forestry Service's Motor Vehicle Use Map for this particular forest. I've honestly had some trouble reading it, but it is starting to become clearer as I take my time out on the trails and frequently check the Avenza Maps app. That'll show GPS location on the MVUM trails, so I can be sure I'm on a legal path. So far I've goofed that up several times.

Apologies if I'm relaying stuff you already know. It's all new to me.
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Different ones each time so far, since I'm exploring it all for the first time. In every case, though, I take a look at the National Forestry Service's Motor Vehicle Use Map for this particular forest. I've honestly had some trouble reading it, but it is starting to become clearer as I take my time out on the trails and frequently check the Avenza Maps app. That'll show GPS location on the MVUM trails, so I can be sure I'm on a legal path. So far I've goofed that up several times.

Apologies if I'm relaying stuff you already know. It's all new to me.
I think the maps can be challenging as well. I think the state parks are marked better. I'm pretty sure waze has a toggle for "avoid 4x4 trails" or something similar. We just untoggle that and it takes us where we want to go as long as we have a name of a road. My husband just got info from a friend about a trail that crosses the state through the Everglades. Sounds fun.

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the maps can be challenging as well. I think the state parks are marked better. I'm pretty sure waze has a toggle for "avoid 4x4 trails" or something similar. We just untoggle that and it takes us where we want to go as long as we have a name of a road. My husband just got info from a friend about a trail that crosses the state through the Everglades. Sounds fun.
Sounds very fun indeed. Maybe I'll try our Waze. Google Maps has been problematic so far, since it will navigate me right through a trail that might actually be ATV only.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds very fun indeed. Maybe I'll try our Waze. Google Maps has been problematic so far, since it will navigate me right through a trail that might actually be ATV only.
We were going through Goethe and Lockloosa Management Area with waze and it was fine for us. It shows most of the little side roads that are underwater now, too. We may go to Ocala this weekend and drive on some trails in the forest. We saw a bear last time.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Southwest of Tallahassee is the Apalachicola National Forest. I'll post about adventures there as I explore it, learn things, and hit the highs and lows in my 2021 Badlands Sasquatch.

August 4th, 2021
My first little journey. What a thrill to get out there among the trees and start making use of this vehicle's capability. Trail turn assist makes some uncomfortable noises, but it was a blast to try out several different modes and such.
1628520677021.png
1628520645973.png
1628520654497.png
1628520687154.png
1628520627141.png

August 8th, 2021
On this trip I took a few friends with me. With their help navigating and spotting, we dove deeper into the forest and found ourselves crossing through some tights spots and decent water. From my novice point of view, this trip was pretty intense. The Bronco, however, was unimpressed as it happily and casually chugged on through everything. One of the most fun things was squeezing through a narrow passage while crawling over a downed tree in 4L. Great adventure and lots of good learning time behind the wheel. Next time I'd like to get some video.
1628521091823.png

1628521102395.png

1628521113622.png

1628521125643.png

1628521133320.png

August 23rd, 2021
I've been dying to check out one of the beachy blue holes in the forest, and I squeezed that adventure into an extended lunch today. What a ridiculously fun place to drive around and really dig in to the Bronco. With all the sand there, I was able to employ trail turn assist to its greatest potential. Used it to squeeze through a super tight tree spot and also to do some mini donuts. The entry trail was oddly blocked by cut down trees, but there was another (trickier) entrypoint right next to it. I'm not sure what the story is there, but the way in was no tougher than the way out. One of the water holes on the way in was a little scary, but it turned out fine and there are ones just as bad or worse on the way out.

Only took a couple photos during a pause, but this is the kind of spot that deserves video next time. The Bronco blasts through all of this and makes an otherwise average Monday lunch break into a joyous, raucous adventure. I felt like a happy kid on a playground.

image.png

1629751569773.png

1629751577093.png

August 24th, 2021
Well I left the office just to go get tacos, but the woods were calling me so I headed on back in for another round. It turns out where I went yesterday is supposed to be ATV only, and I felt compelled to redeem myself by paying better attention to the Motor Vehicle Use Map. I found myself in some pretty tough terrain on 360-A due to the amount of water, and I eventually decided to give up and turn around. According to locals I talked to afterwards, that was the right call. That last water hole gets pretty deep. I've now got what sounds like a squeaky belt, but I'm hoping it dries out and quiets down. Otherwise, the Bronco remains seemingly unscathed. (But I haven't checked for scratches yet.)
1629838085585.png

1629838147141.png

1629838278641.png

1629838199114.png

1629838218956.png

1629838240891.png
Nice rides and reports!

Sponsored

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's nice to know where I can go when I get mine sometime '22! I'm interested in know what else is near by in NW florida.

OP
OP
pandapaul

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Updated with trips, pics, and clips from September 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. Includes my first time getting stuck, first time taking on water, and first time taking the doors off. All good times. :cool:

19Bronco70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco, Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's nice to know where I can go when I get mine sometime '22! I'm interested in know what else is near by in NW florida.
Have you been to Point Washington State Forest? Off of 98 near all the 30A towns. That is usually where I go. It's a nice ride with various trails. It is where my pic was taken.

lil_mule_4x4

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Updated with trips, pics, and clips from September 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. Includes my first time getting stuck, first time taking on water, and first time taking the doors off. All good times. :cool:
:love::love::love: Loved seeing the first Badlands owner in my area actually putting one thru its paces. Kudos for the pic of your crocs/slides floating in the drivers side floorboard! Video of that prob wouldn't live up to the actual experience itself, but would have been awesome! I can't wait (obviously we all CAN WAIT) to get my BADSQUATCH so that I can get out on the trails as well. Apalach Forest is on the way to the Gulf of Mexico for me, so my travels will be different once I get my BL. Then it will be time to shift the focus from miles per hour to miles offroad... Detour time!
Sponsored