Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lexus CT200, 2020 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone heard whether there will be compatibility with Apple’s new digital car key function? It would be nice to unlock and start the Bronco with an iPhone or an Apple Watch.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They have the app (FordPass, or something like that) where you can already do that (assuming you have an automatic transmission and that function available to you).

The GF uses the app daily with her Ranger. It also gives you TSB's maintence scheduling and a host of other info from your vehicle.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is no viable reason at this point and with the limited development in autonomous driving to have vehicles capable of self-driving on public roadways. ESPECIALLY via remote.

The ford app works just fine for what it needs to do. Start/stop the engine, program in warming cycles, and some pertinent vehicle information. Past that, it's an insurance and safety nightmare.

Sponsored

704Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Gti, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford would need to install NFC near the door handle. I haven’t seen any reference to NFC

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They have the app (FordPass, or something like that) where you can already do that (assuming you have an automatic transmission and that function available to you).

The GF uses the app daily with her Ranger. It also gives you TSB's maintence scheduling and a host of other info from your vehicle.
I have a 19 Edge and Fordpass will start it. It also tells where the vehicle is, miles driven, remaining fuel miles to empty, remaining oil life. Also gives recall info, Sync updates and more.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why wouldn't you be able to drive if the car is started and the key fob is in the car?
I think that's the unanswered question. Can you drive with just the phone connected to Fordpass or do you need the fob also? I know you need to sign up on Fordpass to get approval to start the car. Does that also allow driving? I've never tried that.

Sponsored

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no viable reason at this point and with the limited development in autonomous driving to have vehicles capable of self-driving on public roadways. ESPECIALLY via remote.

The ford app works just fine for what it needs to do. Start/stop the engine, program in warming cycles, and some pertinent vehicle information. Past that, it's an insurance and safety nightmare.
I THINK meant meant can you get in the car with your phone using the ford app and drive off, or do you still need the key....I could be wrong, though....

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think that's the unanswered question. Can you drive with just the phone connected to Fordpass or do you need the fob also? I know you need to sign up on Fordpass to get approval to start the car. Does that also allow driving? I've never tried that.
You will need the key. My experience with the app is that when you remote start it and no key is nearby the car just shuts off or refused to leave park. (I can't remember which one it was, but she wasn't going to drive anywhere)

704Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Gti, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

With Car Key, drivers can replace physical keys with their iPhone. As Apple demonstrated during the WWDC 2020 keynote, you can simply hold your iPhone close to the car’s door handle to unlock it using NFC technology.

Once you’re inside it, put your iPhone in the NFC reader or wireless charger to start the car. If you have an iPhone 11 or later, you don’t even have to take your iPhone out of your pocket to unlock the doors or start the car thanks to the U1 chip — Apple says this feature will be available with new cars starting next year.”