Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to clog the thread, but if you had a YouTube of designing/making your stuff I would be all over that. Google Mike Patey. He is currently building a crazy bush plane that is basically all carbon fiber, and I can't stop watching. Fills the void between Bronco posts.
Want me to make a video of me welding to pass the time?

only kidding... 🤣
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

only kidding... 🤣
Honestly I do woodworking/cabinetry as a hobby, my younger cousins keep telling me to get a tik tok. Apparently Gen Z-ers love watching time lapse videos of things being assembled.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I do woodworking/cabinetry as a hobby, my younger cousins keep telling me to get a tik tok. Apparently Gen Z-ers love watching time lapse videos of things being assembled.
I looked into doing a series of videos showing fabrication techniques, weld progression and so forth to minimize shrinkage and warpage... but when I talked to the guys I was working with, they said they were the only ones needing that knowledge. Apparently they think it gives them the edge in the welding community.

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

only kidding... 🤣
I mean, if it was cool stuff... Or for a Bronco build...

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I looked into doing a series of videos showing fabrication techniques, weld progression and so forth to minimize shrinkage and warpage... but when I talked to the guys I was working with, they said they were the only ones needing that knowledge. Apparently they think it gives them the edge in the welding community.
My welding experience is limited to farm repairs during harvest. Would definitely watch videos to help improve if I had a welder. I think you'd be educating the DIYers and at home fabricators. If someone needs something commercially welded they're going find someone who has been to school and is certified.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Maybe fenders and skid plates as opposed to bash plates.
I think theres gonna be a ton of wild fenders out there - of ABS and other materials.
I dont think companies will cut steel molds to make the wild fenders - too much investment.
But ABS molds can be cheapish

I look at a trophy truck - I dont see the main running gear protected by carbon fiber, I see fenders and skid plates.

1616546800568.png

1616546822282.png

1616546847960.png

1616546861554.png
You're not understanding me. It's not carbon fiber. Let's start there. And just like you heard of thermally bonded carbon composite just yesterday, it's really just now gaining in popularity. Those that know, know, and want it. Those that are ignorant to its existence, don't know they want it yet.

A definite yes to fenders and flares and possibly other body components. Those will be in carbon fiber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sorry to clog the thread, but if you had a YouTube of designing/making your stuff I would be all over that. Google Mike Patey. He is currently building a crazy bush plane that is basically all carbon fiber, and I can't stop watching. Fills the void between Bronco posts.
The YouTubes are coming! There will be the Haas machining videos, product design videos, carbon process videos, aero CFD videos, and the vlog of the dream garage/shop build. The shop project is called STAR KILLER BASE. So you know it's going to be cool. ;)

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
3’ x 4’ x 1/4” steel plate weighs 120-125 lbs... which is very manageable, until your laying on your back trying to get those last couple of bolts out. Being a welder, I’ll likely make my own stuff if I need it, but I can see where the composite stuff could be a far superior product on the underside if needed.

OP, do you intend to make carbon fiber fenders, and if so, do you think you’ll be doing the older squared off looking style with possibly having the flares molded in? It’s one of the very few things I’d consider buying.
I'm digging the idea of the OG Bronco styled fenders. Couple that with retro wheels done in billet and you would visually have a modern interpretation of the original Bronco... which would be very rad!

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're not understanding me. It's not carbon fiber. Let's start there. And just like you heard of thermally bonded carbon composite just yesterday, it's really just now gaining in popularity. Those that know, know, and want it. Those that are ignorant to its existence, don't know they want it yet.

A definite yes to fenders and flares and possibly other body components. Those will be in carbon fiber.
I am totally understanding you. Its a composite, lets start there.
I would ask why I want it for a bash plate, sounds like it would deflect and thus not do the job -

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am totally understanding you. Its a composite, lets start there.
I would ask why I want it for a bash plate, sounds like it would deflect and thus not do the job -
But it doesn't or not to a great or consequential degree. Did you see the pictures where I shot it with 9mm and it didn't deform the other side?

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But it doesn't or not to a great or consequential degree. Did you see the pictures where I shot it with 9mm and it didn't deform the other side?
thanks - yes, absolutely.
I am questioning about a large surface, the size of a bash plate.
you are illustrating piercing and bending without breaking. That's not deflection.

for example, something like this has sidewalls that reduce deflection of the bottom surface.
Maybe you could make an effective bash plate if it has returns / side walls.
It would depend if the side walls are molded in and its all one part - or bonded after.

That would reduce the deflection of the surface that would take the hit.

It doesn't matter how tough a material is, if a 5,000 car drops down onto a rock and the transfer case is the first point of contact, whatever is between the rock and the transfer case needs to be structural. a sheet of composite even with honeycomb is not structural to that degree.

The best bash plates also have ribs stamped into the bottom surface to reduce deflection even more.

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts 1616607138638

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts 1616607509945

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lorenzo may just not be your customer.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks - yes, absolutely.
It doesn't matter how tough a material is, if a 5,000 car drops down onto a rock and the transfer case is the first point of contact, whatever is between the rock and the transfer case needs to be structural. a sheet of composite even with honeycomb is not structural to that degree.

The best bash plates also have ribs stamped into the bottom surface to reduce deflection even more.
I really hope you're not an engineer. A bash plate is more or less a beam. For simplicity let's model it as a cantilevered beam with distributed loading.

The deflection is equal to (q*L^4)/(8*E*I)

q = distributed load [N/unit length]
L = length

Now this is where it gets important:
E = Young's Modulus a material property.
I = the moment of inertia of the cross section

SO - it absolutely matters how "strong" the material is. E is of the same order as the force and the geometry of the cross section (which is why as you mentioned they add ribs)

Another important material property for how "strong" it is, is the yield strength. If a piece exceeds the yield strength it is then plastically deforming, meaning it won't bounce back to it's original shape.

Steels have a much higher E and yield strength than aluminum (~2x) . So an equally "strong" plate of aluminum would have to have a larger (or different shaped) cross section. However, Aluminum is roughly 1/3rd of the density of steel so you even though the volume is more there are still weight savings to be had.

It's a fun trade study when you factor in strength, material cost, and weight.

Lorenzo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the disconnect here is that when you develop lightweight parts for racing mustangs, there is a whole different set of priorities - than from product development for off road.

A track car disintegrates when it takes a hit.

An off road hobby car needs to take a hit and keep going, so your weekend isnt spoiled.

Two completely different approached to product need to happen for these 2 different applications.

That said, cool styling of fenders in carbon would sell because people like to decorate their Broncos, show off carbon that is saving weight for no apparent reason, because it looks cool.

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts 1616608166675

Ford Bronco ARCHETYPE RACING is moving into BRONCO parts 1616608217810
Sponsored