Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously the Ford factory ones are, but if they are bolted to the body, isnt that counter productive? I could have sworn seeing people utilizing a Hi-Lift to jack rigs by the rock rails.
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously the Ford factory ones are, but if they are bolted to the body, isnt that counter productive? I could have sworn seeing people utilizing a Hi-Lift to jack rigs by the rock rails.
I think the good aftermarket ones are frame mounted. However, Ford didn't give us holes in the frame to bolt them on, so it'll be a bit of work if you go this route.

OP
OP
Chuck_Ruck

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Doetsch Off-Road those warn rails with removable steps on your IG post yesterday, body or frame mount?

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe they're are kind of like a hybrid because they are bolted where the body bolts onto the frame.

There are arguments for both styles of rock rails. The problem is the body and the frame flex separately. So if you mount something to the frame it is possible that the body could flex enough to hit it. If you mount something to the body, it's obviously not as strong as the frame.

When I had dug into this a little bit, honestly unless you're doing serious rock crawling where you're dropping the entire weight of the vehicle down on a rock, body mounted ones work just as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got those in the 2 Door. Says they're bolt on and frame mounted. But, we'll see.
I don't see where it states that they are frame mounted. In fact it would seem the advert avoids the subject. I don't really care. I bought a pair.
EDIT.. in the question and answer they do say mounts to both the chasis and pinch rails. so i guess it depends upon their definition of chassis

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
1.5 times the vehicle weight is fine, but that isn't taking into account any kinetic forces. There is you can set the vehicle down on them, but then there is you can drop the vehicle down on them.

I think it is safe to say that for the majority of bronco owners, the bolt-on rock sliders will work well. Both protecting from some door dings in the parking lot, working as a step where possible, as well as protecting the random offroad adventures where the chassis may drop down on something. But if you are buying the Bronco as an offroad vehicle, then properly designed frame-mounted weld on rock sliders are almost a necessity.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EDIT.. in the question and answer they do say mounts to both the chasis and pinch rails. so i guess it depends upon their definition of chassis
I'm curious how it mounts to the frame then. It would have to have some kind of soft mount because tying to both body and frame with solid mounts is asking for trouble.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got those in the 2 Door. Says they're bolt on and frame mounted. But, we'll see.
I don't see where it states that they are frame mounted. In fact it would seem the advert avoids the subject. I don't really care. I bought a pair.
I'm curious how it mounts to the frame then. It would have to have some kind of soft mount because tying to both body and frame with solid mounts is asking for trouble.
They ZROADZ look great, but the mounting points appear to all be to the body. Here's a pic of the ZROADZ compared to an underside pic of the SRQ's. No way the ZROADZ mounting points reach the frame.

F143876936.jpg

2720064907.png

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I put this video right where you can see how the factory rock sliders are mounted if you are ready to pause. All others that mount to the body mount this way as well, the kit in the video has bigger brackets. They attach to the pinch weld, as well as a mounting location on the body.

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
They ZROADZ look great, but the mounting points appear to all be to the body. Here's a pic of the ZROADZ compared to an underside pic of the SRQ's. No way the ZROADZ mounting points reach the frame.

Ford Bronco Are all rock rails bolted to the body? 2720064907

Ford Bronco Are all rock rails bolted to the body? 2720064907
Agreed..the zroadz mount the same as the factory rock rails.
Sponsored