Sponsored

Are allocations “anticompetitive practices”?

Jarrett

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m on the bubble as a 7/15 reservation holder. So I’m likely going to miss out on a 2021 at my dealer because of allocations — but not because of my overall reservation order across the nation. That doesn’t sit right with me.

But, it also seems to fit the definition of ”anti-competitive” behavior. Basically, by giving all dealers an allocation of Broncos, they have reduced each dealer’s need to compete for reservation holder dollars. And, as a result, many (except the good folks at Stephens, Granger and others) do not have to compete on price and can sit back and charge MSRP or greater for someone to get one of their allocations.

Here’s the definition I found of anti-competitive practices:

Anticompetitive practices refer to a wide range of business practices in which a firm or group of firms may engage in order to restrict inter-firm competition to maintain or increase their relative market position and profits without necessarily providing goods and services at a lower cost or of higher quality.

Bingo.

Any Bronco6G lawyers out there have an opinion on this?
Sponsored

Numbr4stuna

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrx
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd venture to guess that Granger is gonna get hammered by the lack of vehicles allocated to them. Some people I've talked to in the know have said they expect a dealership like granger to get 10 or fewer MY21 allocated to them. Assuming that to be true, then yah they are unfair to the consumer but they are intended to award the best performing dealers. It's a sticky spot for sure

Monho

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't mind me I'm just gonna watch how this plays out
Ford Bronco Are allocations “anticompetitive practices”? 1610717684506

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. “10 or fewer” seems like horseshit, but I guess we will find out
2. Can’t we still switch dealers?

Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. “10 or fewer” seems like horseshit, but I guess we will find out
2. Can’t we still switch dealers?
You can switch, but then you'll end up paying more.
Edited to add: Assuming you are with someone like Granger or Stephens now.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd venture to guess that Granger is gonna get hammered by the lack of vehicles allocated to them. Some people I've talked to in the know have said they expect a dealership like granger to get 10 or fewer MY21 allocated to them. Assuming that to be true, then yah they are unfair to the consumer but they are intended to award the best performing dealers. It's a sticky spot for sure
I don't have a dog (horse?) in the Granger hunt but that is a bold and ridiculous anonymously sourced claim. If somebody is going start that kind of rumor they need to put their name on it. Granger received the same initial allocation estimate of 30% of their reservations before 9/18. Now it is only an estimate and there are other factors to the formula. But less than 10 allocations? Stir the spot somewhere else.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is what I was saying in another thread. The power is now on the dealer's side.

My dealer asked for a $2500 non refundable deposit. After I pushed back he said I didn't fall in his allocations anyway and told me to go somewhere else. (I'm a day 3 reservation, so I find that hard to believe)

So this guy don't give a f about me. I leave and that just moves up someone else on his list that is willing to make that deposit.

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Please do not disparage Granger Ford. They are a fine family of people that take good care of their employees. They have been in the Des Moines area for 35+ years and have made their presence known as being honest. I have no relationship to them. I have bought a vehicle from them and have had great interaction with them at different times. I just see a lot of cars in their area that wear their logo. Thank you and have a good day.

Last edited:

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its all relative, 30% of 12 or 30% of 1,200 - either way there will be folks on the outside looking in. I'm sure the dealers on both ends are working their hardest to make folks happy.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anti-competitive isn't the right term here. Ford didn't award Broncos to any dealer. To get an allocation you had to first have reservations.

What Ford did is ensure that Broncos show up at every dealer that had reservations. That's good for them. They want these all over the country driving around as walking advertisements. However, in doing so, they diluted their reservation system. The concept that first day reservations holder were DEFINTIELY going to get their Bronco first doesn't apply anymore.

It sucks for us but makes sense for Ford. Outside of this fervent forum following, I wonder how many people know or care what their exact place in line is.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It sucks for us but makes sense for Ford. Outside of this fervent forum following, I wonder how many people know or care what their exact place in line is.
I am sure there are thousands of folks thinking the are "in" because they have a reservation.

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not a lawyer but

1. It's not going to get you a bronco faster