Sponsored

Are allocations “anticompetitive practices”?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Anti-competitive isn't the right term here. Ford didn't award Broncos to any dealer. To get an allocation you had to first have reservations.

What Ford did is ensure that Broncos show up at every dealer that had reservations. That's good for them. They want these all over the country driving around as walking advertisements. However, in doing so, they diluted their reservation system. The concept that first day reservations holder were DEFINTIELY going to get their Bronco first doesn't apply anymore.

It sucks for us but makes sense for Ford. Outside of this fervent forum following, I wonder how many people know or care what their exact place in line is.
I get what the OP and you are getting at, but some/most of the dealers that are getting the reservations and thus allocations didn't have to work for them, they got them by just being the closest Ford dealer. How they want to treat those potential sales is what we're starting to see now.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
None of this post is intended nor should be construed as legal advice:

Any of these speculations on the legality of what Ford has done to reservation holders really depend on a judge willing to hear the case. So far, it seems like what they have done follows the letter of the law, but I'm not sure about every state. Also, in some cases, a judge will make an exception due to the size or scope of the alleged act. That could be your only hope. I think that it would have to be proven that at some point Ford knew they weren't going to fulfill their promise to reservation holders, but still stated that they would. Also, just because they said they can changes the terms and conditions doesn't make all changes legal or enforceable. They can't change the T&C to say that you now owe them your first born for instance.

If several members of a high profile law firm were being screwed by this and wanted to risk all of the billable hours on the case, then we might have a shot, but I'd put my money on a MY21 green over the chance of that happening.

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dealer allocations are similar to electoral votes. Some deserve none...others deserve more than they get (y)

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd venture to guess that Granger is gonna get hammered by the lack of vehicles allocated to them. Some people I've talked to in the know have said they expect a dealership like granger to get 10 or fewer MY21 allocated to them. Assuming that to be true, then yah they are unfair to the consumer but they are intended to award the best performing dealers. It's a sticky spot for sure
Zack has already stated the estimate they were given is in line with what other dealers have reported, so that sounds like total BS

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m on the bubble as a 7/15 reservation holder. So I’m likely going to miss out on a 2021 at my dealer because of allocations — but not because of my overall reservation order across the nation. That doesn’t sit right with me.

But, it also seems to fit the definition of ”anti-competitive” behavior. Basically, by giving all dealers an allocation of Broncos, they have reduced each dealer’s need to compete for reservation holder dollars. And, as a result, many (except the good folks at Stephens, Granger and others) do not have to compete on price and can sit back and charge MSRP or greater for someone to get one of their allocations.

Here’s the definition I found of anti-competitive practices:

Anticompetitive practices refer to a wide range of business practices in which a firm or group of firms may engage in order to restrict inter-firm competition to maintain or increase their relative market position and profits without necessarily providing goods and services at a lower cost or of higher quality.

Bingo.

Any Bronco6G lawyers out there have an opinion on this?
Doubtful ..in order to become a Ford Dealer you sign all kinds of legal stuff that says Ford has sole power in well everything to do with Ford.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man can we just agree we either buy a bronco when our turn in line comes or we don’t...
It’s pretty simple...
I’d prefer a MY21 but completely get it that my July 23 res date most likely pushes me to 2022, with that being said look at all the options that will open up. More colors, options, white HTs..

Relax...
It’s a damn vehicle, it’s not the end of the world...

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man can we just agree we either buy a bronco when our turn in line comes or we don’t...
It’s pretty simple...
I’d prefer a MY21 but completely get it that my July 23 res date most likely pushes me to 2022, with that being said look at all the options that will open up. More colors, options, white HTs..

Relax...
Right there with you. Looking forward to my body color matched top. Really interested to see what new colors they come out with. Hopefully they take a page out of Jeeps book. Crazy colors do sell!! Let's see a proper orange, or hell, a purple!!

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd venture to guess that Granger is gonna get hammered by the lack of vehicles allocated to them. Some people I've talked to in the know have said they expect a dealership like granger to get 10 or fewer MY21 allocated to them. Assuming that to be true, then yah they are unfair to the consumer but they are intended to award the best performing dealers. It's a sticky spot for sure
What is unfair is that Ford keeps changing their allocation formula. They suggested that dealers with more orders would get more allocation. Which we can see now is a load of crap. I moved from being #4 in line at a dealer to probably not getting a my21. I guess I’m the fool now. My dealer just sent an email and won’t tell the allocation and basically is tellling us most won’t see a bronco until March of 2022.

OP
OP
Jarrett

Jarrett

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m hanging in there and definitely will be driving my BD either ‘21 or ‘22. But, I thought it was worth hearing opinions on whether or not this allocation game is fully legal.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neh if anything it increases competition. Dealers have initial allotments, they can then compete for more, essentially making them have to work with their buyers to get the buyer to sign the line.

Sponsored

Numbr4stuna

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrx
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Zack has already stated the estimate they were given is in line with what other dealers have reported, so that sounds like total BS
Count me as one that hopes the allocation of 30% of reservations is true for all dealerships. I was just mentioning what I heard. My information is no more true than the next person as it's all hearsay but to say that my information is wrong, only time will tell.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I was outside the bubble, I'd be (more) upset; however, I'm still upset at the way things are handled. I think the early reservation to order conversion estimate (by Ford) was 70% or higher (I'll have to look it up), so Ford knows exactly how many reservations there are. They have an expected conversion rate, and they've stated vehicles will be built roughly as they were reserved (ordered). They aren't delivering that way though. That's frustrating. I'm an early reservation holder, but I don't believe my dealership has many orders, so I may still be outside that 30%. I'm pretty confident I'm within that 30%, but my configuration isn't a first build.

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m hanging in there and definitely will be driving my BD either ‘21 or ‘22. But, I thought it was worth hearing opinions on whether or not this allocation game is fully legal.
I still intend on ordering it it annoys people when they change the rules. No idea how there can be a shortage of 2.7 engines. How about this Ford...reduce production on similar models with the 2.7

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s pretty simple...

Relax...
Sponsored