Sponsored

Are tailgate hinges painted through to prevent corrosion?

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi all

im a current rubicon owner, however could totally see myself in a bronco someday. Love my Jeep, but there’s a big issue with them: their hinges.

jeeps are painted after the hinges are installed; therefore, the metal underneath the hinges is bare, causing corrosion over the short term (1-3 years). The steel bolts contacting the aluminum hinge isn’t helping either. I’ve had my hinges powder coated and an anti corrosion inhibitor applied on the bare metal on the body, so hopefully that works.

QUESTION: does anyone know if the Broncos tailgate hinges are painted underneath? Do we foresee future corrosion issues on the tailgate hinges similar to wrangler?

For this reason alone, I love that the bronco doesn’t have external hinges on the doors and hood
Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think any answer anyone could provide here would be speculative. I do know there was an earlier thread by mikeandmiki where photos were posted of paint chipping on the hinge pin. The cause was determined to be a stop point in travel. While many seemed to assume that this would undoubtedly be fixed by Ford prior to rollout, I wouldn’t bet on it. I don’t mean that as a slam to Ford, but for any new vehicle and even many old ones, there are undoubtedly going to be design flaws or compromises made that we will have to work through ourselves if keeping the vehicle pristine is the goal.

If the the hinge design is flawed, I am sure the aftermarket will have an answer.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tailgate-hinge-wear.5119/page-2