Sponsored

Are the KO2s on the stock Badlands Load Range 'E'?

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anytime you change load ranges and tire sizes it's not a bad idea to do a chalk test on the tires (google it). I run BFG KO2s load range D 34x10.5-17s on my wrangler. The chalk test revealed they work best (best contact patch and even wear) when I run them around 30psi. The stock BFG KMs are load range C and run well around 37psi. Offroad, I drop both down to 15-20psi depending on how much crawling versus higher speed overland I'm doing.

When I first got the KO2s mounted, I about slid off the road in the rain because the installers filled them to 60psi. 60psi in load range D KO2s on my 4200lb wrangler put all the weight on the centers of the tires and made for some scary times on wet roads.
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I personally don't own a Volvo, but people do need to understand the pro's and cons on an E load rated tire. They absolutely will ride more harsh. They will make a slight impact on mpg and performance. They do, generally, offer better puncture resistance for off roading. Someone who spends a great deal of time in the rocks off roading, E is likely the better choice. A weekend warrior who uses his/her Bronco as a daily driver is likely better with a C, XL or even SL tire. There's no one size fits all, different needs for different people that's all.
Agreed! I would also add load range D for daily driver...but E's you will feel it on every bump. My 4Rnner I went from C tires to 2" taller Nitto E's with same rim diameter hoping I would offset some off the E harshness and nope.

OP
OP
StuRox

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed! I would also add load range D for daily driver...but E's you will feel it on every bump. My 4Rnner I went from C tires to 2" taller Nitto E's with same rim diameter hoping I would offset some off the E harshness and nope.
So an 'SL' - is that the same as a 'C'' as far as ride quality? Any major difference between 'C' and 'SL' ? Thanks!

Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So an 'SL' - is that the same as a 'C'' as far as ride quality? Any major difference between 'C' and 'SL' ? Thanks!
SL = Standard load and is another criteria for a P rated tire...might be across other tire ratings but I have only seen it on P tires. There is also a P-XL meaning xtra load. To directly compare to a C rated tire you would have to look at the individual tires load rating to get an idea and even then will not be a true 1:1 comparison for ride quality but will be as close as you can get.

My 2020 Raptor has KO2's in load range C stock...I don't think the Bronco is heavier than the Raptor and I would not think Ford would put E range tires on but???

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are the KO2s on the stock Badlands Load Range 'E'? Was just wondering how they felt to drive. I heard that because the Broncos is a pretty heavy truck, there is enough weight there for the suspension to work to keep out the harshness. Any feedback?
I’ve driven a stock badlands four door , Squatch OBX two door, and Squatch four door.
My daily is a JKUR on the OME 2” lift heavy springs in back and medium in front with Bilstein 5100s on E range 34” Duratracs

My take: Squatch rides softer than stock BL. The KO2s are C, as are the Territories.

Honestly, if you are not talking steering play, and are not going over major ruts, the stock BL feels pretty truck-like and not appreciably better than my JK. Once you get into side to side or start talking tracking there is an appreciable difference.

Squatch - especially on the lighter two door - felt more SUV-like / not quite as punchy oSo the question here is: is that a spring difference? Or the Territories over the KO2s? Or the sidewall height?

All Broncos were around 45psi. The JKUR runs at 35psi (stock is 37psi on32’s).

Personally, I think the stock 33’s on the two door are about perfect and the 35’s look a little overstuffed (on the two door), but the Squatch ride has me leaning the other way.

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I had to run 'E' load based on the tires I like, what PSI would you recommend I run them at? Size: 255/70R16.

Max is 80 PSI so would half be good to minimize harshness/stiffness, etc.?

Thanks!
50 PSI at a minimum...don't try to make an E ride like a C with lower air pressure, just get the C if that is your primary goal for the tire. Running a load E under-inflated at high speeds on a routine basis will put immense pressure on the sidewalls and create a lot of unnecessary heat and prematurely wear out your tire.
Sponsored