Sponsored

Are the SAS wheels bead locked from the factory or just capable?

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was talking to a guy in the parking lot today. He told me that while my Sasquatch wheels wheel bead lock capable, the tires were not locked from the factory. Does anyone know if that’s true? I’m new to the world of lowering my tire pressure when off road and before I do it, I want to make sure I’m not going to get in trouble.

if the tires are not locked by the factory, can I do it myself in a home garage?
Sponsored

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have to buy Ford Performance Bead Lock rings to replace the looks ring

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'll also need a tire shop to remount the tires on the outside of the rim. Not all shops will do it.

OP
OP
DenNut

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the rings
Have to buy Ford Performance Bead Lock rings to replace the looks ring
wait, are you saying I cannot use the rings that are on the wheel? I need to buy different rings from ford performance? Do you have a link or part number?

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do be aware beadlock set up isnt street legal from what ive read..Prolly would never get caught but is a possibility if you get pulled over for something else.. I do think there are
leagle options out there

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone locked the beads on their Sasquatch wheels? I haven’t heard of anyone doing it.
Jason

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are not beadlocked from the factory, as that is a non-DOT approved setup.

As @chartzilla mentioned, the rings that it comes with are just beauty rings, effectively trim pieces. If you want actual beadlock rings, those can be bought from Ford Performance separately.

OP
OP
DenNut

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the rings

wait, are you saying I cannot use the rings that are on the wheel? I need to buy different rings from ford performance?
That's why a lot of Ford's literature calls them "beauty rings".

https://accessories.ford.com/produc...35&nosto=productpage-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-1

thanks for the link. I’m not buying those . . . For the time being. So if I lower the pressure in my tires, when I go up to the mountains next time, what is a safe pressure? What is the amount require to make a “difference”? I’ve never done this and don’t want to mess things up.

Sponsored

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I wouldn't go lower than 15 psi without bead locks. Some people say it's ok down to 10 psi.

When I go offroading in Colorado I'm mostly just doing rocky trails so I only air down to 20-25psi

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks for the link. I’m not buying those . . . For the time being. So if I lower the pressure in my tires, when I go up to the mountains next time, what is a safe pressure? What is the amount require to make a “difference”? I’ve never done this and don’t want to mess things up.
Depends on the terrain and how fast you want to go.

A good starting point is 25 PSI. You can usually go down to around 15 PSI in most terrain if you are traveling slowly (< 25 MPH). Pressures below that it gets real iffy in a hurry, and anything lower than 12 PSI you really want to have beadlock rings. For reference, 8 PSI is about as low as anyone will get, even with beadlocks, and if you are running pressures that low you are likely dealing with sand.

If you are running low pressures, don't travel faster than 35-40 MPH on pavement and try to keep that distance on pavement to a minimum. And definitely air back up before traveling at highway speeds.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone locked the beads on their Sasquatch wheels? I haven’t heard of anyone doing it.
Jason
There are a few of us out here running bead-locks. I mounted them myself, so I never dealt with a tire shop, and I have never been stopped, much less ticketed, for driving with them on-road.

Ford Bronco Are the SAS wheels bead locked from the factory or just capable? 94B97B82-392D-40FB-9525-D3CA63A80A0E
Ford Bronco Are the SAS wheels bead locked from the factory or just capable? 1E7C9F89-8931-4C38-A473-4CC77170FB3E
Ford Bronco Are the SAS wheels bead locked from the factory or just capable? AF282860-9949-496A-89D7-7DDD7705A392

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are a few of us out here running bead-locks. I mounted them myself, so I never dealt with a tire shop, and I have never been stopped, much less ticketed, for driving with them on-road.

Ford Bronco Are the SAS wheels bead locked from the factory or just capable? AF282860-9949-496A-89D7-7DDD7705A392
the Ticket is not the issue its Insurance ! If your in crash they will not cover you , as we all know they look for any excuse not to pay up ! so getting a ticket is not the real concern here.
Sponsored