Sponsored

Are there any online reviews of the 2.3 with the 10-speed AT?

OP
OP
nc-hiker

nc-hiker

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@nc-hiker

Best I've gotten so far is about 18 mpg in mixed driving and running premium. I seem to float in the 16.5-18 range. As far as the 10 speed pairing, that's a tougher question......I don't have any issues with it hunting for gears or bogging down, it's smooth overall. (I haven't ever had that many gears and most of my fleet are manuals, so it's a little different for me.)
thanks brother, appreciate it
Sponsored

DaPierogiKid

Outer Banks
First Name
Pawel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been getting about 20 around the city. I'm not babying it, but I'm not mashing the pedal either at every light. Using the ecomode, I got it up to around 22 in the city. Haven't driven on the highway much so I don't have those numbers. Overall, fun little engine.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just bought a 2.3L auto with Squatch this week. The power is good. I was concerned that with the auto it would feel a little anemic, but I'm happy with the engine / transmission combo even with turning the large tires/wheels. I can't comment on mileage yet. It's still the first tank and there has been some idle time included so it is only around 16.5 mpg. I think a regular tank will be better and engine break in will help as well. The Squatch package will keep a damper on it though.

OP
OP
nc-hiker

nc-hiker

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just bought a 2.3L auto with Squatch this week. The power is good. I was concerned that with the auto it would feel a little anemic, but I'm happy with the engine / transmission combo even with turning the large tires/wheels. I can't comment on mileage yet. It's still the first tank and there has been some idle time included so it is only around 16.5 mpg. I think a regular tank will be better and engine break in will help as well. The Squatch package will keep a damper on it though.
You have a 1975 Bronco? That's awesome. I live in Raleigh, by the way. Congrats on your new Bronco. Thanks for the confidence boost about the 2.3. I ordered a BD which comes with 31.5 inch tires from the factory and I'm probably going to swap to a 33 inch tire right away.

Sponsored

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have 2.3 10 speed auto with 3.73 open diff and my truck drives great on 285 75 r 16 and eats up the highway miles at over 20 mpg. I have 4 low for whenever I need a low gear.

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m curious about what you see in fuel economy and whether the 10-speed pairs well with it. It seems like the way to go to me, right now.
I picked up my 2 Door Badlands with Sasquatch in Houston on 3/4 and drove it 1700 miles back to VA. Combination of interstate (75%) and secondary roads. Flatlands to hilly/mountainous terrain. I averaged 19.9 for the trip. It should be noted as well that the Bronco is equipped with VERY HEAVY Fuel Blitz wheels (20x9) and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.50x20 and has a 1" leveling kit, all installed by the dealer before I purchased it (was spec'd out start to finish for another customer who backed out.) We were also loaded with two adults and all our crap for the trip home.

The Bronco did great. Besides the mileage, which was better than I expected, the 2.3 had plenty of power and torque. Never felt overburdened by the weight. The 10 speed was smooth and responsive in its shifts up and down. All of my concerns over not getting a 2.7 were alleviated.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Ford Bronco Are there any online reviews of the 2.3 with the 10-speed AT? 1647608690687

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I switched to the 2.3. No regrets. I drove Broncos with both motors. While driving, the motors never gave me a second thought. What did give me concern was the 2.7 failure issue. I realize the odds are slim of experiencing a 2.7 engine failure, but if it could happen, it would happen to me. That is my luck. Truthfully, I was not a fan of either motor. Folks pay big bucks for Braptors, while I would have ponied up for a V8. It is the geezer in me.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I picked up my 2 Door Badlands with Sasquatch in Houston on 3/4 and drove it 1700 miles back to VA. Combination of interstate (75%) and secondary roads. Flatlands to hilly/mountainous terrain. I averaged 19.9 for the trip. It should be noted as well that the Bronco is equipped with VERY HEAVY Fuel Blitz wheels (20x9) and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.50x20 and has a 1" leveling kit, all installed by the dealer before I purchased it (was spec'd out start to finish for another customer who backed out.) We were also loaded with two adults and all our crap for the trip home.

The Bronco did great. Besides the mileage, which was better than I expected, the 2.3 had plenty of power and torque. Never felt overburdened by the weight. The 10 speed was smooth and responsive in its shifts up and down. All of my concerns over not getting a 2.7 were alleviated.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Ford Bronco Are there any online reviews of the 2.3 with the 10-speed AT? 1647608690687
Having owned a black T Bird in the past, I would never own a black or dark colored vehicle again. Then someone like yourself goes and posts a photo of their black Bronco and wow! That is one fantastic looking Bronco! Two door owner myself.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L is a pretty sweet engine with more than enough power in reserve. I have a 2.3L Auto BL with about 1500 miles. I also had Sport mode added via Forscan and that mode takes it to a whole other level but does impact MPG somewhat.
Regardless, the auto shifts smoothly when accelerating. In normal mode it runs through the gears pretty quickly and smoothly to get you up to speed. In Sport mode it seems to hold the gears a bit longer to keep the engine in its power band but shifting is smooth and deliberate. It does occasionally seem to “search” for the right gear when highway driving conditions change, (like an incline at speed). But nothing I would say would change how I feel about it.
I intentionally ordered the 2.3L and am thankful I did for a variety of reasons including being delivered in my lifetime, its power, reliability, and fuel efficiency.

Sponsored

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having owned a black T Bird in the past, I would never own a black or dark colored vehicle again. Then someone like yourself goes and posts a photo of their black Bronco and wow! That is one fantastic looking Bronco! Two door owner myself.
Thanks! Much appreciated! This is Antimatter Blue if that helps ease the pain... and I've specifically requested Ford never release it on a Bronco again! My first was a '73 in deep metallic blue, so this was the perfect choice for me....

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have a 1975 Bronco? That's awesome. I live in Raleigh, by the way. Congrats on your new Bronco. Thanks for the confidence boost about the 2.3. I ordered a BD which comes with 31.5 inch tires from the factory and I'm probably going to swap to a 33 inch tire right away.
I'm in Apex. Yes the '75 is a nice rig. It is a survivor that served as a DD and all around family vehicle for years before sitting in a shed for about 12 yrs. I remember when we bought it new.

Good luck with order.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
There's a lot of heartbreak about 4 cylinder engines in general because automakers used to just plop them in vehicles without any regard for performance, and as a result they mostly felt weak and anemic. It's really hard to overcome that perception and realize you can design a system that uses a 4 cylinder powerplant in a different way.

With the Bronco at least, I feel like it wasn't just put in for fuel economy and was engineered with the entire system in mind. My experience (so far) is that the entire driveline is designed and geared to bring out the best in the 2.3. It's no slouch, even with the SAS.

It most definitely feels and performs WAY better than the 4 cylinder in my wife's Nissan Rogue. There is honestly no comparison between the two.

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
in 4800 miles my 2.3 Bronco has averaged about 18.7 MPG. It gets about 18 MPG around town; 21 MPG on back country roads.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have mentioned this in another thread... I run 37s on a 2.3, and stock 32s on a 2.7. They're 90% close to eachother in terms of power -- basically the same engine If I had the same tire sizes. Sound-wise, The 2.7 is very quiet almost like a hybrid while the 2.3 makes more noise at idle and at RPMs. MPG-wise, I get about 14 on the 37s/2.3 and 19 on the 32s/2.7.

The 2.7 vs 2.3 debate is a futile one. A blinded test wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even Shelby Hall said they're basically the same.
Sponsored

Last edited: