Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel its only going to be a benefit to me on icy roads as it shifts the power output between the front and rear and left and right .
In the sand and mud and Baja i li ke the thought of holding it in gear longer to stay in the power band .
Im not totally sold on all the modes , 7 in total I believe , I could be wrong but its not big on my like to have list .
I believe Levine mentioned that Baja modes allows for more slippage. So knowing the vehicle is in sand, it will apply brake to wheels as part of traction control less frequently. Could be nice.
@Firefly
@Mac n Nevada

ok, I said what I said about the lockers because I read it on the link posted above from Ford.com. In case you didn’t read it about the rock crawl mode here it is. I even put in BOLD for you the part about the lockers.

Rock Crawl

This setting is for intense off-road driving and rock climbing at low speeds. Rock crawl prompts the driver to place the vehicle in 4 Low, the electronic locking differential is automatically engaged and AdvanceTrac is set to the least intrusive settings for optimum rock climbing ability.
I believe that is correct with regard to what Rock Crawl puts your settings at initially, but you can still override the lockers, transfer case, and SBD manually via the selector and hero switches.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have the Multi -Terrain select system on my TRD PRO 4Runner and love it. I've gotten buried in the Mud a few times thinking I need a tow out. Mud and Sand mode saved my butt. Dang thing felt like a monster truck coming out quick sand. Fords GOAT system is similar to Toyota's Multi - Terrain, definitely worth having IMO.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Firefly
@Mac n Nevada

ok, I said what I said about the lockers because I read it on the link posted above from Ford.com. In case you didn’t read it about the rock crawl mode here it is. I even put in BOLD for you the part about the lockers.

Rock Crawl

This setting is for intense off-road driving and rock climbing at low speeds. Rock crawl prompts the driver to place the vehicle in 4 Low, the electronic locking differential is automatically engaged and AdvanceTrac is set to the least intrusive settings for optimum rock climbing ability.
Ok. I missed that. With a goat mode that will automatically select it and its own hero switch, the locker is still "selectable" one way or another. If the hero switch doesn't override the rock crawl locker, which would surprise me if it didn't, just deselect the rock crawl. Or leave the rock crawl out of the equation all together and just select the crawler when you want via the hero switch.
I'm sure we will have a lot of options and combinatios available.
4XFun Forever

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All sounds good except the rock crawl mode. Damm thing is gonna lock in my front lockers? You cant turn with from lockers engaged. Unless Ford found a way to do that? I prefer selectable lockers, that I use when needed and can turn on/off. If I spend 5 hrs on the trail I don’t need lockers the whole time, only to get over the obstacle.
Thats what the Hero bar is for. If you have badlands you also have swaybar disco.

20201005_004032.jpg

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thats what the Hero bar is for. If you have badlands you also have swaybar disco.

Ford Bronco Are these extra G.O.A.T modes worth it? 20201005_004032
Ok so I have to put it in rock crawl mode only to have to turn off the front so I am free to turn left or right. That’s two steps. And I have to make sure I choose rock crawl and not spin the dial too much or not enough because of the other modes next to rock crawl.

Isn’t it just easier to select a locker or lockers when I need it?

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
All sounds good except the rock crawl mode. Damm thing is gonna lock in my front lockers? You cant turn with from lockers engaged. Unless Ford found a way to do that? I prefer selectable lockers, that I use when needed and can turn on/off. If I spend 5 hrs on the trail I don’t need lockers the whole time, only to get over the obstacle.
What do you mean you cannot turn with front lockers engaged? I've owned front lockers (2 Rubicons) and turned while using them. You shouldn't have them engaged on dry pavement and turn while driving since the inside wheel will jump to keep up speed which puts a lot of stress on the axel. An experienced driver will only engage the locker when traction is needed, so turning while moving is okay.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so I have to put it in rock crawl mode only to have to turn off the front so I am free to turn left or right. That’s two steps. And I have to make sure I choose rock crawl and not spin the dial too much or not enough because of the other modes next to rock crawl.

You are making a simple task sound hard. No one is 100% sure what each mode will do on the Bronco. The GOAT modes are a handicap for novices imo. Still, if youre an experienced off-roader you dont have to use the GOAT modes. I will try them out and than try the same trail doing everything myself to see if its better or not.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/what-is-the-2021-ford-bronco-s-goat-system-ar188975.html

20201005_013500.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
.... An experienced driver will only engage the locker when traction is needed, so turning while moving is okay.
Guess you didn’t read the posts above. Ford says when you put the traction mode to rock crawl it automatically activates all the lockers. And as you know when the front locker is in, the turning ability is severely limited. I did say “can’t turn” but limited would probably have been better.

I manually activate lockers as you said above “when traction is needed”. But with the mode selector if you choose rock crawl rear is mostly fine but front I can see mostly turned off and used specifically when needed.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
..... The GOAT modes are a handicap for novices imo. Still, if youre an experienced off-roader you dont have to use the GOAT modes. ...
Cool if I don’t “HAVE TO” use the GOAT modes.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Guess you didn’t read the posts above. Ford says when you put the traction mode to rock crawl it automatically activates all the lockers. And as you know when the front locker is in, the turning ability is severely limited. I did say “can’t turn” but limited would probably have been better.

I manually activate lockers as you said above “when traction is needed”. But with the mode selector if you choose rock crawl rear is mostly fine but front I can see mostly turned off and used specifically when needed.
I understood that rock crawl mode engages the lockers. For me, it's a reason to not use goat modes.
I do not understand why you say turning ability is limited? The steering, as far as I know, is not affected in any way by engaging the front locker. The locker keeps the front wheels rotating at the same speed, it does not affect turn articulation.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe Levine mentioned that Baja modes allows for more slippage. So knowing the vehicle is in sand, it will apply brake to wheels as part of traction control less frequently. Could be nice.

I believe that is correct with regard to what Rock Crawl puts your settings at initially, but you can still override the lockers, transfer case, and SBD manually via the selector and hero switches.
Does anyone else think "SBD" stands for Silent But Deadly? ?

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The post above was describing modes on a Raptor. My understanding is Raptor does not have a locking front diff, so this mode on Bronco may only engage the rear, or as someone described may selectively engage the lockers based in vehicle response. At any rate, I think we should wait for the full description from Ford, specifically about Bronco. And you don't have to use it if want to have completed control.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking forward to using the GOAT modes, especially sand and weather. I have to switch into 4H occasionally on my road home. Weather will be great to have in Florida, especially in my county which spends all its money on pet projects and lets the roads deteriorate badly.
Sponsored