Aws
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The base model doesn't have mud and rock modes. Are they worth it? I'm very outdated with modern off-road technologies. The last off-road car I owned was 98 Isuzu Amigo which is of course didn't have any traction settings.
Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven’t heard a clear explanation of what a GOAT mode actually is, at least on a manual transmission vehicle. On the auto it might change the shift points of the transmission, but I’d be surprised if it makes much of a difference in terms of DIY capability.

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I haven’t heard a clear explanation of what a GOAT mode actually is, at least on a manual transmission vehicle. On the auto it might change the shift points of the transmission, but I’d be surprised if it makes much of a difference in terms of DIY capability.
I don’t see how the GOAT modes would make much difference in off road abilities. I haven’t found a clear explanation either. People have been off roading with 4x4 transfer cases for decades using 2H, 2L, 4H, 4L. Are the GOAT modes making some type of computerized adjustments not otherwise achievable? I think the GOAT modes may just be a gimmick. Anyone have more information?

LOMartin

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, F250, b2650HSTC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GOAT seems to be the same as Land Rovers terrain select. On my LR4 it engaged the lockers, and applied brakes automatically, dropped into 4L, etc.

its the easy button for off-roading. Makes any novice “feel” like a pro.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know that in some cars, switching to sport mode makes a legit difference. Holds revs longer, feels like more torque and pep when you give it smoke. I assume the GOAT modes will make differences, even if they’re relatively minor. Won’t be life changing adjustments when you swap modes, but you’ll be able to tell the difference.

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So here's a Ford press release on the Raptor's terrain modes. I would expect similar for Bronco's modes. Basically the different modes have different calibrations and settings for various vehicle features, like throttle inputs, shift points, traction control settings, etc. that are designed to work better in the specific terrain.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...es-where-we-re-going-we-don-t-need-roads.html

The all-new Ford F-150 Raptor features six terrain modes designed to handle the most demanding terrains. From off-road rock crawling and desert running to on-road sport mode, Raptor is ready for any type of driving. Here’s a breakdown of each mode.

Normal

For everyday on-road driving duties, normal mode is a perfect balance of excitement, comfort and convenience.

Sport

Mountain passes are no longer just for Mustang, thanks to Raptor sport mode. For spirited on-road driving, sport mode increases throttle response and provides a sportier steering feel – along with quicker shifting. The transmission holds gears longer to keep you in the power band.

Weather

When road conditions are less than ideal, weather mode inspires confidence without compromising driving pleasure. Weather mode automatically engages 4 Auto. AdvanceTrac, throttle response and the shift schedule are optimised for greater confidence in slippery conditions.

Mud/Sand

For tackling trails and other off-road treks, the mud/sand setting is your best friend. 4 High and the electronic locking differential automatically engage for driving over loose or soft ground, and optimised AdvanceTrac settings help Raptor keep its footing. Steering is set to comfort, which makes it easier to navigate along tight trails and over obstacles.

Baja

Baja mode is where Raptor eclipses the competition. Designed for high-speed desert running, Baja mode places the vehicle in 4 High, AdvanceTrac is programmed to the least intrusive settings, and the throttle map is adjusted for more linear power and improved engine response to give the hardcore off-road driver greater control. The transmission has quicker shifts and holds gears longer – keeping the vehicle in its power band.

Rock Crawl

This setting is for intense off-road driving and rock climbing at low speeds. Rock crawl prompts the driver to place the vehicle in 4 Low, the electronic locking differential is automatically engaged and AdvanceTrac is set to the least intrusive settings for optimum rock climbing ability. Throttle modulation and transmission response are optimised for greater control. Additionally, the front camera allows the driver to see what’s right in front of the truck, and it can be kept on at speeds up to 24 km/h.

Along with the individual AdvanceTrac settings tied to drive modes, Raptor continues the Ford Performance tradition of allowing the driver to programme the system’s settings to match conditions and skill level. The driver can reduce traction control but keep stability control on with a single press of the electronic stability control button; or, by holding the button for five seconds, the driver can turn AdvanceTrac settings off.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I feel its only going to be a benefit to me on icy roads as it shifts the power output between the front and rear and left and right .
In the sand and mud and Baja i li ke the thought of holding it in gear longer to stay in the power band .
Im not totally sold on all the modes , 7 in total I believe , I could be wrong but its not big on my like to have list .

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It all comes down to the drivers abilities, and how the vehicle is set up. In my old worn out mind the G.O.A.T. system is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. Real men were off roading with nothing but 4WD, and manual locking front hubs before many of the kids that worked on this project were born. IMHO

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t see how the GOAT modes would make much difference in off road abilities. I haven’t found a clear explanation either. People have been off roading with 4x4 transfer cases for decades using 2H, 2L, 4H, 4L. Are the GOAT modes making some type of computerized adjustments not otherwise achievable? I think the GOAT modes may just be a gimmick. Anyone have more information?
The 'modes' basically adjust throttle response, torque etc based on the different modes to make it easier to get past obstacles/road conditions. It probably is less useful in a capable vehicle and if you know what you are doing. Modes work well in some vehicles (like most modern land rovers) because they allow the vehicle to do things it might not otherwise be capable of.

I would imagine that in a bronco w/4L and decent tires those buttons wont be needed at all.

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The base model doesn't have mud and rock modes. Are they worth it? I'm very outdated with modern off-road technologies. The last off-road car I owned was 98 Isuzu Amigo which is of course didn't have any traction settings.
But does it have Mut & Rut?

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All sounds good except the rock crawl mode. Damm thing is gonna lock in my front lockers? You cant turn with from lockers engaged. Unless Ford found a way to do that? I prefer selectable lockers, that I use when needed and can turn on/off. If I spend 5 hrs on the trail I don’t need lockers the whole time, only to get over the obstacle.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All sounds good except the rock crawl mode. Damm thing is gonna lock in my front lockers? You cant turn with from lockers engaged. Unless Ford found a way to do that? I prefer selectable lockers, that I use when needed and can turn on/off. If I spend 5 hrs on the trail I don’t need lockers the whole time, only to get over the obstacle.
None of the goat modes engage the lockers. The lockers and the SBD, if equipped, each have their own switch.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can use front and rear lockers independently or together....turn them off or on whenever you want..... that is my understanding. There was an interview with a driver at Bronco fest west.. or whatever it was called. The interview touched on this.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@Firefly
@Mac n Nevada

ok, I said what I said about the lockers because I read it on the link posted above from Ford.com. In case you didn’t read it about the rock crawl mode here it is. I even put in BOLD for you the part about the lockers.

Rock Crawl

This setting is for intense off-road driving and rock climbing at low speeds. Rock crawl prompts the driver to place the vehicle in 4 Low, the electronic locking differential is automatically engaged and AdvanceTrac is set to the least intrusive settings for optimum rock climbing ability.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think a lot of people will not use this if they have done much off roading. You already know to use 4L or 4H or whatever.

Also most trails I do have a mix of terrain. Sand with some mud pits near the river crossings and a light sprinkle of boulders. I am sure some of you just drive around in a vast expanse of sand and you will repost that in your reply, but that is not me. A sand only mode is kinda limiting.

Mostly I want to fully turn of the engine power limiting traction control.
I almost got stuck crossing a river in a super-duty once when half way through the traction control detected wheel spin and cut power from the engine bringing the truck to a dead stop. With losing my momentum I was barely able to get out. The vehicle I normally drive is older and does not even have traction control so I did not know to turn it off. So knowing the vehicle you are in is important and modes and computer setting can hurt as much as they can help if done wrong.
Sponsored