Rakkasan187

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE Bronco, 2020 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Here is a picture of the Goodyear 315/70r17 tires pulled of our FE Bronco. On the left are Nitto 315/70r17 Ridge Grapplers and on the right are Nitto 37/13.50r17 Ridge Grapplers. Makes me think the Goodyears are not a true 315/70r17. Thoughts?
Ford Bronco Are they a true 315/70r17? A2C70E3C-DF55-4E74-816D-E07E283C242F
Ford Bronco Are they a true 315/70r17? 3E8834B8-BAC3-4183-B7D0-369D2F9695AA
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That makes no sense. I know the Goodyears are much softer than other tires. But that is a crazy amount of difference. A 315 should be 12.4" wide.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since the C load tires are obviously compressing the sidewalls more than E load Nitro's, the size of the stack is irrelevant, just the bottom, least compressed side, your bottom picture. Looks the same to me

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since the C load tires are obviously compressing the sidewalls more than E load Nitro's, the size of the stack is irrelevant, just the bottom, least compressed side, your bottom picture. Looks the same to me
Yeah I agree. I think we need to see a single tire of each side by side. Those C rated are so soft they are compressed under the weight of the others.

clhman

Wildtrak
First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super-Duty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can you take a tape measure to the tread and report back? I can measure my factory Goodyears this evening.

Sponsored

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at the actual tread width. That is what is measured for tire size. The difference appears to be in the sidewall design.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just measured my tread width on my Raptor to my Bronco. The Bfg's on the Raptor are 12.5 inches to the Goodyears 11.5 inches, height is about the same. Going with BFG's on the Bronco. Don't throw rocks like the Goodyears.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look at the actual tread width. That is what is measured for tire size. The difference appears to be in the sidewall design.
The 315 is the section width, not the tread width. The section width is the maximum width of the sidewall of the tire not the tread.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 315 is the section width, not the tread width. The section width is the maximum width of the sidewall of the tire not the tread.
Because sidewall dimensions are hard to predict due to combination of factors such as rim width and tire pressure tire manufacturers typically design to the tread width as it is not influenced by these factors as much and is easier to design quality control processes around.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because sidewall dimensions are hard to predict due to combination of factors such as rim width and tire pressure tire manufacturers typically design to the tread width as it is not influenced by these factors as much and is easier to design quality control processes around.
Nope, it's always by section width, tread width is typically 1-2 inches narrower

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, it's always by section width, tread width is typically 1-2 inches narrower

Ever notice that just about 0 tires true dimensions match the quote unquote specs. It’s because every manufacturer measures a little differently and final geometry is more or less a guess/estimate during design phase.

Spent five years in the industry as an engineer in manufacturing plants.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd suggest going to tire rack and looking up the dimensions for each tire and compare them. Photos can be very deceiving.

I know Michelin PSS and PS4 tire widths for my BMW M2C (factory 9" front/10"rear) vary between model and even the same size/model Michelin can have different widths if they are made specifically for a BMW vs Mercedes. Sometimes going up a size changes width very little on the rear, but more on the front. Putting wider tires on an M2C and not screwing up handling, speedo, traction control, and the like is almost high art. Going to different tire brands is just as confusing. And this is all before one gets into wheel widths for specific tire sizes. I had no idea. Ended up staying w/ stock sizes.

Let us know what you find out.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are all 3 sets unmounted? The Goodyears definitely look non mounted. The Nittos look inflated therefore being mounted. Also, it could just be the difference in the load range and stacking.

OP
OP

Rakkasan187

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE Bronco, 2020 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are all 3 sets unmounted? The Goodyears definitely look non mounted. The Nittos look inflated therefore being mounted. Also, it could just be the difference in the load range and stacking.
None are mounted.
Sponsored

Last edited: