Sponsored

Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos?

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just got a Black Diamond to do what I would call light off roading. Mostly in Michigan or maybe Colorado where its a bunch of hill trails, sometimes pretty muddy. For the most part I don't remember any significant rock crawling needed to get through trails, but I am hearing different things online about Broncos failing on even mild trails.

I have a agreement with a dealer to order a Bronco I want, that has Sasquatch and all the features I want but it may take a while. In the mean time, I bought the Black Dimond until my order comes in and I can decide which I want. So the idea was I could enjoy some light off roading right now until the more capable off road version is available.So I figured I could get by with a bit of ground clearance from the stock setup. I got a 2 inch lift from the dealer to be able to fit 35s.But now I stumbled across a few videos that warn doing this is creating a substantial risk when off roading. I believe the dealer used a Ready Lift 2inch. It seems like it was done really well but I am a bit worried about a potential compromise we introduced with the lift.

So my question is, am I really at a huge risk off light roading in a 2inch lift and 35s? What does everyone consider light off roading?

I sort of regret buying it if its significant. I just came from a Jeep glad sport and I beat the hell out of it for two years. Don't remember any kind of issues upgrading the tires. I don't mean this to be a Jeep comparison video. But there's the context to my worry. Curious what others experiences are and if you think I should look to some aftermarket upgrade. Right now it seems like anything other than a Sasquatch Bronco is a mall crawler. Stock would just have a bunch of clearance issues on the trails I got on. Then I don't want to invest too much in something I am going to switch out of in probably two years max.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's overblown. I haven't heard much talk of tierods in a while actually. Just carry a spare and the tools to change it, just in case.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did you at least have an alignment done after install?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on how you wheel, if you enjoy the sound of tire squeal your at risk. I would carry a spare inner tie rod, no tie rod braces and have fun. If this was your permanent bronco I would add a BroncBuster bushing, and still not run tie rod braces.

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a Badlands Non Sas the we lifted 2 inches and put 35's on. We have wheeled it pretty hard with no tie rod issues (knock on wood) but we do carry an extra set. Much of what I have seen has to do with lifts being done that mess too much with the geometry. Not concerned with the type of off-road we do. We will take on some tougher obstacles but nothing too nuts.

Sponsored

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It seems to be overblown. But there is still risk. If you wheel it correctly, and know how the breakage happens (and how to avoid it) then you should be pretty safe. Risk is higher with bigger tires, of course.

For now, best option seems to be to learn how to wheel the bronco correctly, and then make sure to carry a spare or two (cheap) and all of the tools required for a change should a break happen. With practice and the right tools it can be done in 20-30 mins.

Someone in the community should make a video clearly explaining how the tie rods breakages happen on the trail, and then also make a video showing how to do a proper trail side repair, start to finish.

In the future, once the aftermarket and the owner community more fully understands the limits and workarounds, we will hopefully have some relatively inexpensive solutions to fix the problem.

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
RTR claims no stock tie rod failures on their stock Broncos and they wheel pretty hard. It's a matter of knowing the truck's limitations. IMO you'll be fine

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am by no means any expert on this issue. I added the BroncoBuster reinforcement to mine, more as insurance. From reading other threads on this, IF you have raised your Bronco or done any other modification that changes the angulation of the tie rod, changes the stress on it....then you may have a problem= carry spares, go aftermarket stronger or add reinforcement.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Multiple times wheeling with 37s. No issues. Don’t drive like BroncBuster and you won’t break tie rods.

There’s a reason the guy that sells tie rod braces breaks tie rods all the time.
I guess I'm a terrible salesman, I should go out and break some tierods so I can sell more repair kits.
Someone in the community should make a video clearly explaining how the tie rods breakages happen on the trail, and then also make a video showing how to do a proper trail side repair, start to finish.
I don't have a video but my kits come with detailed installation instructions.

Sponsored

Timbow

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I attended the Las Vegas off-Roadeo & the tie-rod issue was a common question asked & the instructor said they had over 30 stock broncos abused/used in the almost 2 years & they had a few CV failures but no tie-rod issues. The CV failures were from landings after leaving the ground.

OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you at least have an alignment done after install?
Yea the did an alignment, new tires, lift and some of tweak. Probably the work that involves removing the crash bar and stuff. I finally tracked down the company who did it. Sucks I am still waiting for docs, but everything looks and feels solid for what its worth.

OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for all the replies. It defiantly makes me feel better hearing all your feedback. It sounds like at a bare minimum I should at least have some replacement tie rods and a kit. I don't mind getting stuck, but id like to drive the Bronco home safely at the end of the day.

Im not great with vehicles but a tie rod replacement doesnt seem too difficult and I got some car guys around when I go on trails usually.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's overblown. I haven't heard much talk of tierods in a while actually. Just carry a spare and the tools to change it, just in case.
I wish there were places that just sold an entire kit with the required tools to do so... but every time I check, they're sold out. ;)
Cool thought though - if the kit included a single page or a couple pages on how to properly replace a tie rod while on a trail, that'd be pretty neat. Just a little diagram of what to look for, or a picture, and how to complete the process, that'd be a pretty nice touch to the kit that I can't find in stock.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have a video but my kits come with detailed installation instructions.
I retract my previous comment about including instructions, sounds like they do.
Hell yeah.
Sponsored