Sponsored

Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos?

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Come on, baby (don't fear the tie rod)
Baby, take my hand (don't fear the tie rod)
We'll be able to fly (don't fear the tie rod)
Baby, I'm your man
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la

Partial lyrics from the classic song Blue Oyster Cult - Don’t Fear the Tie Rod
Sponsored

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure I'm even making anything off them, it's more of a service to the community than anything. I like to see everyone prepared, if nothing else so the repair is quick and the group gets moving again sooner. When we had to scrounge up parts to fix up @Tarheel_Wes it killed most of the day.
I didn't want to say it out loud.....but the cheapest brass hammer that size I can find is $30+ with shipping, that's almost 1/3 of your kit price alone, add in everything else and it's definitely one helluva deal!

If I weren't a blacksmith with a hammer fetish I'd be ordering a kit :ROFLMAO: .

Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? PmfQEoV

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't want to say it out loud.....but the cheapest brass hammer that size I can find is $30+ with shipping, that's almost 1/3 of your kit price alone, add in everything else and it's definitely one helluva deal!

If I weren't a blacksmith with a hammer fetish I'd be ordering a kit :ROFLMAO: .

Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? PmfQEoV
Technically a steel hammer would get the job done but I could picture threads getting smashed and turning the whole thing into a goat hump.

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically a steel hammer would get the job done but I could picture threads getting smashed and turning the whole thing into a goat hump.
Yeah, it's my go-to for releasing outer TRE's.

I've always preferred to use a brass hammer, sometimes you have to get after the stubborn ones, wouldn't want to do that with a steel hammer. Especially because I've had to run the castle nut all the way up and give it a few light taps to free them up at times, a steel hammer would make for a very bad day in that case.

And don't ever use those damn TRE forks unless you want to destroy the boots.

Last edited:

wade65

Badlands
First Name
Wade Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 1965 Mercury Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I periodically check to see if the kit is in stock. I would totally have this in my kit, but....
Do you think you will ever get your suppliers to get their act together?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I periodically check to see if the kit is in stock. I would totally have this in my kit, but....
Do you think you will ever get your suppliers to get their act together?
I ended up finding a second supplier. I'll have some kits ready on the 15th.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Been wheeling over a year now with a large Bronco group. Easy to hard trails, dunes, fire roads, rocks, deep snow, etc. dozens and dozens of Broncos. Never a single tie rod issue. Once you lift and add 37’s we enter a whole other story.
For a stock Bronco you’ll be fine as long as you wheel properly. Bouncing tires = bad. Front locker engaged in 4lo at maximum turn and droop while gassing it = bad.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been wheeling over a year now with a large Bronco group. Easy to hard trails, dunes, fire roads, rocks, deep snow, etc. dozens and dozens of Broncos. Never a single tie rod issue. Once you lift and add 37’s we enter a whole other story.
For a stock Bronco you’ll be fine as long as you wheel properly. Bouncing tires = bad. Front locker engaged in 4lo at maximum turn and droop while gassing it = bad.
So you've been wheeling 1 year and you've never seen a tie rod break yet you are telling everyone what is bad, just curious what are your qualifications for your synopsis? I've been wheeling for 30 years I've never seen one break in person, however if you look at the part you can see it's structurally weakened for what looks like a reason. You wheel it long enough it will break, off-road driving is punishing on a vehicle. My 2 cents

Reactions: OX1

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I plan to hard wheel in my badlands, this is on the list before then.
Please post some vids if/when. I'm dying to see some vids of "getting it" on sloppy east coast stuff where it doesn't really matter what line you picked, as you won't stay on it for long.

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Me wiggling my JKS sleeves, don't fear the tie rod, fear the steering rack!
Your rack broke at the tensioner, right? Do you think the broncbuster bushing would have prevented this failure?

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your rack broke at the tensioner, right? Do you think the broncbuster bushing would have prevented this failure?
Yes it would have probably saved the rack. The issue is $350 bushing + $1200 billet housing is the same cost as a 3.0 rack. I have a hard time spending $350 on $5 in materials.

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it would have probably saved the rack. The issue is $350 bushing + $1200 billet housing is the same cost as a 3.0 rack. I have a hard time spending $350 on $5 in materials.
Yeah, I agree. I managed to get one at a discount and am weighing whether to install it or not when I install my icon tie rods. Not sure what the downside might be.

I don't like the idea of the tie rods being a 'fuse'. We have already seen one example the other day where a broken tie rod led to the destruction of a front differential housing.

I've read that the passenger side billet housing is for more extreme and high use cases, which I doubt I will need with my 6-10 times off road a year.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ended up finding a second supplier. I'll have some kits ready on the 15th.
Good to know. I've been checking the site periodically. The red one also has a price of $999.99. Not sure if that is a typo of if that one comes with someone to change it for you on the trail.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any update on this getting replenished? Your website says sold out.
I'll have limited stock on the 15th and then more will trickle in later.
Sponsored