Sponsored

Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos?

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I attended the Las Vegas off-Roadeo & the tie-rod issue was a common question asked & the instructor said they had over 30 stock broncos abused/used in the almost 2 years & they had a few CV failures but no tie-rod issues. The CV failures were from landings after leaving the ground.
yikes. I need to stop leaving the ground.......

Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? BroncoJump2
Sponsored

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll have limited stock on the 15th and then more will trickle in later.
Maybe you should change your name to Dick Trickle.

Back to topic, I have your amazing kit with the OEM tie rod and would like to add an additional aftermarket tie rod. It’s the inner Boy Scout in me. Is the Moog EV317 the right one?

D5FA1BBB-E1A5-412A-9578-9A9604311DFE.jpeg

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back to topic, I have your amazing kit with the OEM tie rod and would like to add an additional aftermarket tie rod. It’s the inner Boy Scout in me. Is the Moog EV317 the right one?

Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? D5FA1BBB-E1A5-412A-9578-9A9604311DFE
Yes that's the one. I think I'll start offering a 2 tierod option, it's been asked for enough.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So you've been wheeling 1 year and you've never seen a tie rod break yet you are telling everyone what is bad, just curious what are your qualifications for your synopsis? I've been wheeling for 30 years I've never seen one break in person, however if you look at the part you can see it's structurally weakened for what looks like a reason. You wheel it long enough it will break, off-road driving is punishing on a vehicle. My 2 cents
I think he meant in the "current Bronco". 1 year wheeling in a 2 year old vehicle is qualification enough for me.

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Would we say the Wildtrak is a better option over the Badlands then? It comes with the HOSS 3.0 suspension upgrades and performance steering rack.
You do lose the front sway bar disconnect, but what's the point if your CV joints or tie rods break?
Yes, get the Wildtrak and remove your swaybar then you have the best capability period. I’ve driven 75% of Moab in a Wildtrak with the BroncBuster upgrades and had zero issues. With the Sasquatch package you will be able to wheel things that most people would never consider. Just go to a better tire and you’ll be set.

Sponsored

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? D5FA1BBB-E1A5-412A-9578-9A9604311DFE
As the saying goes "two is one and one is none".

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’d think they’d have a spare with them, unless it damaged the steering rack as well.
Please post some vids if/when. I'm dying to see some vids of "getting it" on sloppy east coast stuff where it doesn't really matter what line you picked, as you won't stay on it for long.
No vid but here... Feb trip to Windrock | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community
Vegvisir Badlands Windrock Park pictures | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Reactions: OX1

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I agree. I managed to get one at a discount and am weighing whether to install it or not when I install my icon tie rods. Not sure what the downside might be.

I don't like the idea of the tie rods being a 'fuse'. We have already seen one example the other day where a broken tie rod led to the destruction of a front differential housing.

I've read that the passenger side billet housing is for more extreme and high use cases, which I doubt I will need with my 6-10 times off road a year.
I agree on the billet housing being more of an extreme upgrade. I plan to stay with weaker tie rods as they easier and cheaper to replace.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I'm a terrible salesman, I should go out and break some tierods so I can sell more repair kits.

I don't have a video but my kits come with detailed installation instructions.
What is the hammer for?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the hammer for?
To pop the TRE out of the knuckle. The other options were a pickle fork, which I despise, or a TRE puller, which would have added cost and I would have missed my $100 target.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To pop the TRE out of the knuckle. The other options were a pickle fork, which I despise, or a TRE puller, which would have added cost and I would have missed my $100 target.
Is the brass hammer strong enough? I've had to beat on a knuckle before to get it to pop. But those were on vehicles with some age and mileage.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the brass hammer strong enough? I've had to beat on a knuckle before to get it to pop. But those were on vehicles with some age and mileage.
So far it's been enough. It might get harder as these age. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a puller on your own. I might still source some for an addon upgrade too.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, get the Wildtrak and remove your swaybar then you have the best capability period. I’ve driven 75% of Moab in a Wildtrak with the BroncBuster upgrades and had zero issues. With the Sasquatch package you will be able to wheel things that most people would never consider. Just go to a better tire and you’ll be set.
I probably would have gone this route even though the sta bar disconnect is incredible just for smoothing out forest service roads and having to get under the vehicle to connect/reconnect would be annoying as well. But the problem is I need the washout interior, so much so that I'm buying an entirely new bronco for it (and a hard top). Then I find myself asking why didn't the wildtrak offer the MGV and washout floor, then I snap back into reality and realize why the hell does ford not offer the stronger steering rack in their ROCK CRAWLING marketed vehicle. 🤦‍♂️

98infinity

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150, 20 Road King, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris