Sponsored

Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos?

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the brass hammer strong enough? I've had to beat on a knuckle before to get it to pop. But those were on vehicles with some age and mileage.
Just upgraded the housing and bushing on mine with 14k miles. Took about 10-12 good whacks with a brass hammer to pop my tie rods loose. Brass is a softer metal but works. Just rethread the nut to protect the threads from said whacking.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just upgraded the housing and bushing on mine with 14k miles. Took about 10-12 good whacks with a brass hammer to pop my tie rods loose. Brass is a softer metal but works. Just rethread the nut to protect the threads from said whacking.
What were you hitting?

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What were you hitting?
Where you’re supposed to hit. The knuckle where the tie rod end sits in. You have to break the seal. I’m guessing mine was a little more difficult since the geometry was changed due to the lift.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where you’re supposed to hit. The knuckle where the tie rod end sits in. You have to break the seal. I’m guessing mine was a little more difficult since the geometry was changed due to the lift.
Just clarifying. When you said to put the nut back on to protect the threads it could be read as you were hitting the stud.

Sponsored

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just clarifying. When you said to put the nut back on to protect the threads it could be read as you were hitting the stud.
You can and will hit the stud if you’re not careful hence threading the nut back on just in case. Better to hit the nut than the threads.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes, get the Wildtrak and remove your swaybar then you have the best capability period. I’ve driven 75% of Moab in a Wildtrak with the BroncBuster upgrades and had zero issues. With the Sasquatch package you will be able to wheel things that most people would never consider. Just go to a better tire and you’ll be set.
I'm most excited to see the documentation of your research as to real world articulation and flex at OEM, sway bar disconnected and sway bar removed!

You did say "period", as if that meant something, that can't just imply anecdotal opinion but good solid facts.

I'll wait.
Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? 200w (6)

I'll have limited stock on the 15th and then more will trickle in later.
Trickle Dick has an entirely different meaning than Tricky Dick.

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm most excited to see the documentation of your research as to real world articulation and flex at OEM, sway bar disconnected and sway bar removed!

You did say "period", as if that meant something, that can't just imply anecdotal opinion but good solid facts.

I'll wait.
Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? 200w (6)

Trickle Dick has an entirely different meaning than Tricky Dick.
Show me a option that works better than no sway bar, I’ll wait…..

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Show me a option that works better than no sway bar, I’ll wait…..
Sorry, I had assumed you did corner load indexing of the various setups to document droop, articulation, maximum travel and flex.

Here's the kind of work I had assumed you did. Oh, and also fun, the results of anecdotal altruism such as the "facts" you're spouting have been proved wrong on other IFS platforms such as the video below.

^ hey look, somebody used actual facts to disprove common myths.... Bronco is still pending. I will now discontinue assuming you did anything other than drive your own vehicle then state something untested as fact. But hey, you may very well be right, just that you can't actually prove it anyway.

Tork

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are if you break one…

Sponsored

FordBB

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I probably would have gone this route even though the sta bar disconnect is incredible just for smoothing out forest service roads and having to get under the vehicle to connect/reconnect would be annoying as well. But the problem is I need the washout interior, so much so that I'm buying an entirely new bronco for it (and a hard top). Then I find myself asking why didn't the wildtrak offer the MGV and washout floor, then I snap back into reality and realize why the hell does ford not offer the stronger steering rack in their ROCK CRAWLING marketed vehicle. 🤦‍♂️
This! Ford Marketing dictates the vehicle features and lineup. Every single vehicle package is compromised in some way. Heck, even the First Edition doesn't have a Baja mode.

Marketing should just give their customers what they want. Either Good, Better, Best. Not 7 different trim levels. Or let people option up and down on features. It's not like forecasting was an issue on volumes per feature/unit. Vehicle deliveries being almost a year to year and a half on delivery you would think you could figure this out.

I can't understand the need to remind customers you didn't buy the trim level with the features you wanted with the lockers and sway bar disconnect buttons on the instrument panel? If the option was there on that trim level most of us would have bought it. If there was a manual offering on the bigger engines, CyberOrange exterior with with blue interior grabs and the list goes on and on.

Crash_Dummy

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes that's the one. I think I'll start offering a 2 tierod option, it's been asked for enough.
How come when I look that one up on amazon it says that it doesn't fit my vehicle? Then I googled the part # and it looks like it is for an Explorer. Am I missing something?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How come when I look that one up on amazon it says that it doesn't fit my vehicle? Then I googled the part # and it looks like it is for an Explorer. Am I missing something?
No, you're tracking. It is an Explorer/Ranger tierod and is not an officially recognized replacement, I just discovered it's an exact fit through trial and error back when original tierods were hard to get a hold of.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...For the most part I don't remember any significant rock crawling needed to get through trails, but I am hearing different things online about Broncos failing on even mild trails.

So my question is, am I really at a huge risk off light roading in a 2inch lift and 35s? What does everyone consider light off roading?
My comments are not to be offensive. I question whether you need Sasquatch. By your statements, you aren't doing significant rock crawling. It doesn't sound like you need the ground clearance. Even still, a properly-trained off-roader can do more with less ground clearance than an inexperienced person with more ground clearance.

A Badlands on 33s can tackle the Rubicon, Hell's Revenge, etc. Consider 35s (or larger) an appearance package. That's how nearly every owner uses them. Very few people plan to take them on the kinds of trails that absolutely require them. Now, if you plan on getting into the top 25% of trails at Moab (for example), then we're talking about a legitimate use case. As for the tie rods on my non-squatch Badlands, well, I won't ever be giving them even a single thought while I'm off-roading.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands