Sponsored

Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos?

Leland

Raptor
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, Mustang MachE GT, Raptor, Subaru (2)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just got a Black Diamond to do what I would call light off roading. Mostly in Michigan or maybe Colorado where its a bunch of hill trails, sometimes pretty muddy. For the most part I don't remember any significant rock crawling needed to get through trails, but I am hearing different things online about Broncos failing on even mild trails.

I have a agreement with a dealer to order a Bronco I want, that has Sasquatch and all the features I want but it may take a while. In the mean time, I bought the Black Dimond until my order comes in and I can decide which I want. So the idea was I could enjoy some light off roading right now until the more capable off road version is available.So I figured I could get by with a bit of ground clearance from the stock setup. I got a 2 inch lift from the dealer to be able to fit 35s.But now I stumbled across a few videos that warn doing this is creating a substantial risk when off roading. I believe the dealer used a Ready Lift 2inch. It seems like it was done really well but I am a bit worried about a potential compromise we introduced with the lift.

So my question is, am I really at a huge risk off light roading in a 2inch lift and 35s? What does everyone consider light off roading?

I sort of regret buying it if its significant. I just came from a Jeep glad sport and I beat the hell out of it for two years. Don't remember any kind of issues upgrading the tires. I don't mean this to be a Jeep comparison video. But there's the context to my worry. Curious what others experiences are and if you think I should look to some aftermarket upgrade. Right now it seems like anything other than a Sasquatch Bronco is a mall crawler. Stock would just have a bunch of clearance issues on the trails I got on. Then I don't want to invest too much in something I am going to switch out of in probably two years max.
I have a 4 door Wildtrak which was delivered last February 2022. Last Fall I ordered from my Ford Dealership Hoss 3.0 tie rods and had the dealership install them. They are slightly heavier duty and make me feel comfortable.
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's overblown. I haven't heard much talk of tierods in a while actually. Just carry a spare and the tools to change it, just in case.
I'll say something Tricky Dick can't: He sells a tie-rod replacement kit, with a spare and the essential tools for the fix. Check his listing on "Sponsors."

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't understand this statement, at all. Bronco is hugely capable at whatever trim level. SAS is overkill even for most off-road use. If anything, I consider SAS the mall crawler.
I was super surprised how well my base with stock wheels and tires did in almost a foot of snow in sand mode. Didn’t even come close to getting stuck.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll say something Tricky Dick can't: He sells a tie-rod replacement kit, with a spare and the essential tools for the fix. Check his listing on "Sponsors."
I don't think there's actually a rule that I can't say it, but I'm not going to be pushy about promoting them either. They're there for those that want them...or will be once my stock comes back.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not sure about Bronco-specific videos, but there are plenty of videos out there on replacing tie rod components with similar setups to the Bronco. You need the correct tools to do it. It's a temporary fix to get you back to civilzation and a proper front end alignment.

Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheel it bust it fix it, if you put real stress on it you'll find weakness, true with heeps bronco Chevy yoga whatever... they all break at some stress level...

OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 4 door Wildtrak which was delivered last February 2022. Last Fall I ordered from my Ford Dealership Hoss 3.0 tie rods and had the dealership install them. They are slightly heavier duty and make me feel comfortable.
I thought the HOSS 3.0 was standard on the Wildtrak that would include the Tie Rods?

OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I saw a video a while back where a guy broke them on a trail with Vaughn Gittin and crew. He does a great job explaining why, in this case, they broke and it was because of the lift on 37's that was not done properly, thus messing up the geometry. He also summarized that there are a number of off-road shops doing lifts on the Bronco that don't understand the geometry. (The guy that broke them was, by all appearances, a modifier)...
Yea it was one of his videos on Bronco lifts that made me worry. They go over every type of lift, including the spacers I have installed. He suggested "light" off roading.I think what I do falls into that but sometimes in MI you never know what you will run into if you go far enough.

I will say most of the videos I have seen where guys are breaking tie rods, they are really aggressive with bumps and have larger tires and lifts without upgraded the suspension and steering components. I think it makes sense why things are breaking.

Which is why I am a bit hesitant to try the BroncoBuster. Seems like a workaround that will cause other issues overtime.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am going to install these bad boys next week (ICON Tie-rods). Got them more for peace of mind but they are definitely beefy!
Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? 323426192_919656342804831_963484454698610019_n

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan to hard wheel in my badlands, this is on the list before then.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I broke one on the trail when I was still on stock 35s. Happened quite easily but no issues since.

I wheel gently but it can still happen.
What obstacle did it break on? I am assuming you have the sasquatch package

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am going to install these bad boys next week (ICON Tie-rods). Got them more for peace of mind but they are definitely beefy!
Ford Bronco Are Tie Rods really THAT big of an issue for Broncos? 323426192_919656342804831_963484454698610019_n
Are you worried about your steering rack since you are moving the weak point back to there?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I thought the HOSS 3.0 was standard on the Wildtrak that would include the Tie Rods?
If I remember correctly 21 & 22 no, but 23 yes.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
At the conclusion of the NH Off-Roadeo I asked the instructor about tie rod ends, he said they have never had one break.

Keep in mind... this is a bunch of newbie off-roaders running up and down rocky mountain trails.

OP
OP
Trail Jr.

Trail Jr.

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think there's actually a rule that I can't say it, but I'm not going to be pushy about promoting them either. They're there for those that want them...or will be once my stock comes back.
Sounds like a kit I would need! Looks sold out at the moment though. Ill just have to keep an eye out sounds like
Sponsored