Sponsored

Are you getting hood struts? Which ones?

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just came across a post for hood struts that reminded me that I had bookmarked an earlier post months ago about another brand. I like the idea of no-drill hood struts, and will definitely get some now that I have taken delivery of my Bronco. I had bookmarked these Redline Tuning struts a while back:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ailable-august-1st-from-redline-tuning.19033/

Today I came across this one:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mrt-2021-bronco-no-drill-hood-strut-kit.26363/

The MRT pricing is in line with the higher-priced Redline struts. These Redline Tuning struts have a 5-year warranty. Not sure what MRT's warranty is. Didn't see it on their site. Also, the lower-priced Redline struts are only $100 + $8 UPS Ground shipping, with a 4-year warranty. I'm not sure that there's a difference in the Redline Tuning struts other than the coloring, which I couldn't care less about.

I do have to admit that I like the idea of not having to undo the hood hinge bolts to install the Redline Tuning struts. I'd be afraid of never getting the hood alignment right again, but maybe it's easier than I think.

Anyway, have you seen any other hood struts, preferably no-drill, that you like? Anyone actually installed either of these or another brand?
Sponsored

Last edited:

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the redline's on my accessories plan to purchase list.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the Redline for my FJ-40 and the Bronco if it ever gets built. The install for the FJ-40 was a bit more intrusive with drilling, but I feel the quality was worth it and they do a great job on that super heavy hood. I'm pretty confident they will be just as great for the Bronco. I also opted for the quick disconnect ends option, which is cool.

Redline appears to open wider, as well:

1634924328953.png

MRT:

1634924302757.png

Last edited:

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Redlines installed on my Bronco. They work great and easy install in around 10 mins.

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely going with that elite one. No drilling required is awesome too.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I want to purchase the Redlines. I also really like the ADV fiberglass hood design. I am wondering if these hoods will come with a spot for the T-nut to mount the bracket for the strut. Anyone know if they thougth of that for their design?

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I already purchased the redline ones because I've used them before.

iradi8

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What does the Elite offer over the other versions?

Sponsored

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Installed the Redlines months ago and posted about it. Easy install -- you do not have to remove hood hardware like certain "other" brands (you know, brands that sponsor and don't want to be criticized) -- and they work well. When opening, start slow then they speed up. I close the hood the same as before the install: with my hand to click it into place (I never drop the hoods on my vehicles, just my preference). I will say, I think the Ford hood latch design is odd. It doesn't always latch the first try.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What does the Elite offer over the other versions?
Wondering the same thing myself. Their description doesn't really explain why the elite is better, just says its the best one. If the regular one holds the hood up, what more can the other do to warrant $40 more? Wondering if this is meant for people who plan to add things to their hood and make it heavier, like a giant hood scoop or something 🤷‍♂️

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wondering the same thing myself. Their description doesn't really explain why the elite is better, just says its the best one. If the regular one holds the hood up, what more can the other do to warrant $40 more? Wondering if this is meant for people who plan to add things to their hood and make it heavier, like a giant hood scoop or something 🤷‍♂️
I ordered the regular cheaper redlines. It's not something that will get weekly use (hopefully), so it's not a part I want an "elite" version of.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I want to purchase the Redlines. I also really like the ADV fiberglass hood design. I am wondering if these hoods will come with a spot for the T-nut to mount the bracket for the strut. Anyone know if they thougth of that for their design?
I think the weight of the hood has to be right for these struts to work properly. Seems to me that one of these brands (MRT?) mentioned on their site letting them know if you are using an aftermarket hood so that they can recommend the correct gas shock for the struts based on the hood's weight.

Also, drilling that hole in a fiberglass hood should be easy (wearing a face mask, of course) as long as the manufacturer has no concerns about it affecting the structural integrity of the hood. You'll also have to take care not to punch the drill through the top surface of the hood! 😯

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Higher quality materials, and an extra year warranty (5 total). It's in the descriptions.
Sponsored