Sponsored

Are you getting hood struts? Which ones?

vesuvan

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Chevy Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Cost cutting, likely. There's never a good reason to have a heavy hood that could potentially slam closed if something goes wrong.
I suspected that was the reason but hoped it was something like gas-powered struts fail with frequent off road use (the reason I used to always get manual crank windows). Oh Ford.

My mother used to call that kind of behavior penny wise but pound foolish lol

Ok ordering one of the others tonight
Sponsored

Motor City Lifer

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford f150 FX4/ 2012 Harley Davidson St Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had the Redline elites on my Mustang, but went with MRT this time. I chose to support MRT this time because they are manufactured in the town next to the city that I reside in. The red lines are made in Ann Arbor Michigan which is also just 15 miles away from me so no losers here.
Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? 20211022_163148

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just came across a post for hood struts that reminded me that I had bookmarked an earlier post months ago about another brand. I like the idea of no-drill hood struts, and will definitely get some now that I have taken delivery of my Bronco. I had bookmarked these Redline Tuning struts a while back:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ailable-august-1st-from-redline-tuning.19033/

Today I came across this one:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mrt-2021-bronco-no-drill-hood-strut-kit.26363/

The MRT pricing is in line with the higher-priced Redline struts. These Redline Tuning struts have a 5-year warranty. Not sure what MRT's warranty is. Didn't see it on their site. Also, the lower-priced Redline struts are only $100 + $8 UPS Ground shipping, with a 4-year warranty. I'm not sure that there's a difference in the Redline Tuning struts other than the coloring, which I couldn't care less about.

I do have to admit that I like the idea of not having to undo the hood hinge bolts to install the Redline Tuning struts. I'd be afraid of never getting the hood alignment right again, but maybe it's easier than I think.

Anyway, have you seen any other hood struts, preferably no-drill, that you like? Anyone actually installed either of these or another brand?
Redlines because they are made in Michigan , 30 minutes from me

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Redline quicklift plus. Accidentally ordered the Bronco Sport ones and they were great to work with to get them swapped out for the correct ones. As others have said, easy install and works great. I smile every time I don't have to use that stupid prop rod.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have Redlines in my pile of Bronco stuff for when it arrives.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just came across a post for hood struts that reminded me that I had bookmarked an earlier post months ago about another brand. I like the idea of no-drill hood struts, and will definitely get some now that I have taken delivery of my Bronco. I had bookmarked these Redline Tuning struts a while back:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ailable-august-1st-from-redline-tuning.19033/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mrt-2021-bronco-no-drill-hood-strut-kit.26363/

The MRT pricing is in line with the higher-priced Redline struts. These Redline Tuning struts have a 5-year warranty. Not sure what MRT's warranty is. Didn't see it on their site. Also, the lower-priced Redline struts are only $100 + $8 UPS Ground shipping, with a 4-year warranty. I'm not sure that there's a difference in the Redline Tuning struts other than the coloring, which I couldn't care less about.

I do have to admit that I like the idea of not having to undo the hood hinge bolts to install the Redline Tuning struts. I'd be afraid of never getting the hood alignment right again, but maybe it's easier than I think.

Anyway, have you seen any other hood struts, preferably no-drill, that you like? Anyone actually installed either of these or another brand?
Installed the Redline Tuning hood struts yesterday. Work very well! Nice, smooth, easy opening and closing. They do raise the hood up higher than the prop rod does. I have to grab the latch loop on the hood on my Sasquatch OBX to pull it down, and I'm 6'0". I'm sure it could be pulled down from the side by grabbing a lower part of the hood, however.

Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? 20211027_193445

Motor City Lifer

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford f150 FX4/ 2012 Harley Davidson St Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Redlines because they are made in Michigan , 30 minutes from me
MRT's are produced in Plymouth Michigan, only 15 miles from Ann Arbor Michigan where the Red lines are produced.

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
I might just take the hood off, so I can keep an eye on things under the hood... Like hoses being cut by pulleys etc...... All joking aside, I'm leaning towards the redline.

Incinr8

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Dodge Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my opinion, but I don’t understand why anybody needs these. I have zero plans of keeping my hood open.
Faster , Easier access to engine compartment for maintenance, Mods and such. Most people who have spent anytime in an engine compartment prefer this type of system over the "prop Rod".They also tend to open the hood higher than the "Prop Rod" reducing back strain and banging your head on the hood. They're probably not going to make a difference for those that don't turn wrenches or do their own work. If I had the luxury of having someone else work on my vehicles , I wouldn't care either. Its one of those "Either you get it or you don't" type of things.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I book marked both of these and will be doing one or the other once I my Bronco. I am with you on the hood alignment. The MRT video makes it seem like no big deal about hood alignment but Murphy's Law will always rule the day. The Redline lifts will more than likely be the ones I go with unless they have an issue or something better comes along.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed the Redline struts today and I am happy with them. You get almost a foot of extra hood height as compared to the prop rod.
Here is a video if you are interested (the second half is specific to the hood lift)

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed the Redline struts today and I am happy with them. You get almost a foot of extra hood height as compared to the prop rod.
Here is a video if you are interested (the second half is specific to the hood lift)
Heads up, if anybody is considering purchase of these lifts, Redline is having a sale from Nov 25-29 for 20% off, enter code: BF2021 on their website at checkout

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Redlines here too in my pile of stuff waiting on my Bronco.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I see they're sold out. If anyone's interested and wants to be a guinea pig, I sell these parts and can put together a kit with the help of someone (unlike me) who has a bronco.....
Sponsored