Sponsored

Are you getting hood struts? Which ones?

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a personal viewpoint and experience with gas charged structs

Like the ideal of the gas charged structs for all of the pro reasons stated in the thread, but personally will never install them for safety reasons and if I did they would have to have a positive locking device to hold the load in event of failure of the gas cylinder. Gas charged structs do fail and like most items that use seals to control the pressure that hold a load more often than not failure results is a sudden lost of pressure. My company work truck has a fiberglass topper and the back access door had gas charged structs that hold the door open and they suddenly failed which resulted in the locking mechanism of the door striking the top of the head leaving a nasty cut.

I have to ask would you raise a vehicle on a hydraulic bottle or floor jack, remove the tires, and then crawl under the vehicle without placing jack stands under the frame or the axles beforehand.

A heavy falling hood can cause serious injuries', imagine your fingers across the top side of a fender and hood dropped suddenly dropped.

However your body and bronco do as you please.
Sponsored

MustangSally

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just installed the Rough Country struts today. They are no drill and went in fairly easy. The images in the Instructions sucked though and the nuts for the strut nubs were missing.

B28D7104-AFE5-4AC4-A2C4-F58D31C5EA69.jpeg

B A C N O W

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just a personal viewpoint and experience with gas charged structs

Like the ideal of the gas charged structs for all of the pro reasons stated in the thread, but personally will never install them for safety reasons and if I did they would have to have a positive locking device to hold the load in event of failure of the gas cylinder. Gas charged structs do fail and like most items that use seals to control the pressure that hold a load more often than not failure results is a sudden lost of pressure. My company work truck has a fiberglass topper and the back access door had gas charged structs that hold the door open and they suddenly failed which resulted in the locking mechanism of the door striking the top of the head leaving a nasty cut.

I have to ask would you raise a vehicle on a hydraulic bottle or floor jack, remove the tires, and then crawl under the vehicle without placing jack stands under the frame or the axles beforehand.

A heavy falling hood can cause serious injuries', imagine your fingers across the top side of a fender and hood dropped suddenly dropped.

However your body and bronco do as you please.
1) Gas struts have been OE for most vehicles from every manufacturer from budget to hyper luxury for decades! Injuries resulting from failure are ultra rare.
2) The hood for the Bronco is lightweight!
3) there are two struts holding up the lightweight hood. If one fails the other should buy you enough time to stabilize the hood and bring it down safely!
4) Gas struts don’t typically suffer catastrophic failure. It’s usually a gradual process that is observable and typically results in a replacement being ordered.
5) ALL jacks are subject to failure and jackstands have always been considered a necessity for garage work. Those safety precautions are not the case with hood struts….

But, like you said, your body and Bronco do as you please…

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1) Gas struts have been OE for most vehicles from every manufacturer from budget to hyper luxury for decades! Injuries resulting from failure are ultra rare.
2) The hood for the Bronco is lightweight!
3) there are two struts holding up the lightweight hood. If one fails the other should buy you enough time to stabilize the hood and bring it down safely!
4) Gas struts don’t typically suffer catastrophic failure. It’s usually a gradual process that is observable and typically results in a replacement being ordered.
5) ALL jacks are subject to failure and jackstands have always been considered a necessity for garage work. Those safety precautions are not the case with hood struts….

But, like you said, your body and Bronco do as you please…
Agreed. And our hood is way lighter than a truck bed cover. Also, it won't suddenly drop when one fails. I tried mine when I had only one installed. Worst case, it closes slowly. But one held mine up. It wouldn't raise it, but it didn't fall either.

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered the RedLine. I looked at the Rough Country's which were $30 cheaper but that required removing the fender bolts. For $30, I'll save myself the hassle AND support a Michigan company. Go Blue!

Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We received our Redline struts today. They come securely packaged in a tube (end caps stapled to the tube) with the struts, hardware, directions, and a sticker.
Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? 843BB91A-2F53-4160-B5C0-A2DA01B24D03

Easy to install. It took less than 10 minutes to install both sides.
Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? 3F849803-F940-4764-8619-B22017777F60

They are stout and easily handle the weight of the hood.

Looks like a good Michigan made product. Would recommend.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We received our Redline struts today. They come securely packaged in a tube (end caps stapled to the tube) with the struts, hardware, directions, and a sticker.
Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? trim.D9221695-8FC4-40AB-8003-E27909DD3162.MOV

Easy to install. It took less than 10 minutes to install both sides.
Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? trim.D9221695-8FC4-40AB-8003-E27909DD3162.MOV

They are stout and easily handle the weight of the hood.

Looks like a good Michigan made product. Would recommend.
Congrats. Any chance we can remove the obnoxious advertising sticker? I hate the 3rd party accessory companies do this.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats. Any chance we can remove the obnoxious advertising sticker? I hate the 3rd party accessory companies do this.
That is part of the reason I purchased the Rough Country kit. The struts are just plain black like most OEM ones are.

The RC kit looks better if you have the mat under the hood IMO. It covers part of the bracket and the nut extensions. Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but someone mentioned putting vise grips on the end of the extensions. Makes it much easier to install. You won’t have to worry about dropping the nuts inside the hood. I made two small notches on the mat for it to sit flush, I am quite happy with the finished product. Especially for the price, it was the least expensive kit I found.

Dirtyjed

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Dmax, 86 FunRunnah, Tiyoda truggy, Honda shi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Installed the Redlines a couple of weeks ago.
Easy peasy install and work fantastico. 100% not afraid of shock failure or my hood folding in half or exploding off and killing a bus full of nuns or whatever.
Plus red lettering adds 5 hp 🧙‍♂️

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

🤷‍♂️ I didn't even bother to look.

Sponsored

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can add the carbon fiber sleeves for $20 which hides that.

Ford Bronco Are you getting hood struts? Which ones? redline.JPG

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I installed my redlines today and it was pretty straight forward. Going up, they make a sound and I wonder if putting some lubricant on the rod might eliminate that noise. Any thoughts?