Sponsored

Are you going to custom-order your Bronco or pick one off the lot?

Order custom or pick off the lot?

• Total voters

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I completely understand what you're saying, as what you're explaining is EXACTLY what I did with my Mustang to get the cheapest custom order I possibly could... I ordered it in august 2017, didn't take delivery until May 2018 and took advantage of all the incentives they offered. However, by about August is when I was seeing brand new dealer stock dip into the low $40k range, despite incentive amounts not changing (that was my first thought, so I looked it up). So other than incentives, what could make a same-year car with the same MSRP and (nearly) same miles thousands of dollars cheaper? Sounds to me like a dealership taking the hit and me getting a better deal
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm in the same camp with folks just custom ordering something if I'm spending 40k+.

I do have a question about special-ordering in general. Anyone chime in but this may be most relevant for @ChrispyKC as I'm assuming he knows the process about as good as anyone. How late in the model year can a new vehicle be ordered? All the way until 12/31 of that year (or the end of the 365 day cycle from release date)? Would be preferred to wait awhile to see the initial reviews and bugs get identified. Would also wonder if waiting around for rebates would be relevant to special-ordering but would rebates/incentives apply to new-ordered vehicles?
The end of ordering model year production, or build out as it's called can vary vehicle to vehicle and year to year. It depends on what changes to the succeeding model are going to be, and how well the vehicle is selling. If there is a 200 day supply sitting on the ground, build out can come even before the end of the calendar year. If there are no major changes due other than updating the serial number, BO can run to mid summer. Your dealer gets plenty od advance notice and updates when the order banks will close. Have them keep you informed; for them, a late sale is better than no sale!

With Ford Connect, the designers can track which options people are using, how they are using them, how often and how they are performing. Heated seats are very popular, factory garage door openers hardly ever get programmed. I have most of the "Driver Assist" features turned off or lowest possible settings on my 2018 Escape. They are largely annoying and intrusive IMHO. Bronco & Ranger are at the top of my trade-in list come Spring 2021. Depending on how the packages work, I probably will order with a lower trim level and only go with what I can't get aftermarket, like Terrain Management, old fashioned cruise control A/C. Things like sunroof, seat heat/ventilation, GPS, running boards, skid plates tire & wheel upgrades etc I can add as I go and as I need.. Fixed income teaches patience;).

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is that a thing that's easy to do on Fords? And does it stay turned off when you power cycle the car? The only car I've driven with ACC was a VW and there was no way to make it just be regular cruise control. A convenient button to turn it off and just have old fashioned cruise control would be great

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is that a thing that's easy to do on Fords? And does it stay turned off when you power cycle the car? The only car I've driven with ACC was a VW and there was no way to make it just be regular cruise control. A convenient button to turn it off and just have old fashioned cruise control would be great
The adaptive cruise does stay off when it is disabled in the settings menu in the driver display in my Escape. When disabled, it functions like an old school cruise; need to reset the speed after the car has been turned off, but the adaptive feature stays off. It does display a "warning: adaptive cruise disabled" message each time the car is started, and each time the cruise is turned on. The Start/Stop defaults to on each initial start and must be manually turned off each time if you want it off. I recently had my 2018 Escape in for service and got a 2020 Escape for a loaner. That car I believe also had collision avoidance which could be turned off (mine has no way to turn it off) . I don't know if these features are Ford-wide or just Escapes.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That is why all the Police package vehicles are coming with holes in place... My last job had a fleet of over 3500 vehicles, a few hundred fire vehicles, 500 police cars, and a utility fleet.
Holy shit, can we please try READING?

I'm not saying cost on paper is greater. I'm saying... please read closely... YOU CAN GET A CAR CHEAPER BUYING LEFTOVER DEALER STOCK THAN IF YOU ORDER A CAR FROM THE FACTORY

yeah, bullshit. Assuming you're actually comprehending what I'm saying, this is a load of crap. I paid about $45k for my near fully-optioned Mustang order (a pretty good deal, considering it was still way under MSRP), yet after I picked it up and had it a couple months, I started finding the same car with pretty much all the same options (some had ACC without recaros and stuff like that, but similar MSRPs) for $40k at lots because it was leftover dealer stock. Again, to make it clear, YOU CAN GET A CAR CHEAPER IF YOU BUY NEAR THE END OF THE MODEL YEAR AND PICK FROM THE LEFTOVERS ON THE LOT THAN YOU CAN ORDERING THE CAR FROM THE FACTORY.

I know this may be cutting into your bottom dollar, but it's the truth
Step off the ledge...
Fees/costs are the same ordered or on the lot. Lets bring this back to the Bronco... Do you really think there will be incentives in the first year on the Bronco?

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Step off the ledge...
Fees/costs are the same ordered or on the lot.
Jesus, I can't believe I have to keep reiterating this. You even quoted the post and still didn't read it

Extra cost does not mean additional fees.
Lets bring this back to the Bronco... Do you really think there will be incentives in the first year on the Bronco?
Of course there will be. It's not going to be a super limited production car like a Shelby or something. There may be a variant of it that isn't eligible, but the standard Bronco will definitely be eligible

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Step off the ledge...
Fees/costs are the same ordered or on the lot. Lets bring this back to the Bronco... Do you really think there will be incentives in the first year on the Bronco?
Yup.:like:
Just look at the totally redesigned 2020 Explorer. $4250 rebate, plus $1000 trade in assistance plus factory-to-dealer incentives. My dealer has 2020 XLT's with $9086 in rebates and markdowns PLUS Ford Red Carpet Lease incentives of $2000 if you lease, all on a vehicle that came out in July.
When you order out a vehicle from any manufacturer, you assume the risk that incentives, if any, will be whatever is in place at time of delivery. And there is a new wrinkle in rebates these days at Ford:

"Vehicle must have arrived at Dealer at least 61 days prior to the sale date."

So, if you factory order, It would have to sit at the dealer untitled for another two months after it arrives to qualify for the rebate. There might be a little wiggle room, as the vehicle is issued a serial number when it goes into production, and hypothetically the dealer would "own" it at that time, so when it arrived it would already have been allocated to the dealer for several weeks. but Ford specifically says "arrived at dealer," not allocated. If you ordered a '20 Explorer when they first came out, you may have lucked out, as this level of incentives has been in place for several weeks.
I wish for the Bronco to be a huge success, and I may order one despite any hobbled incentives, but I expect there will be something in place to compete with the incentives sure to be on the Wrangler and Land Rover at that time.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dude. I just might, in 3 years reach out to buy from you and fly down and drive back.

Why?, and what you don't seem to realize, is that you are operating at 99% more transparency and thoughtfulness than every other dealer?

Your numbers work because you are starting close to invoice and maximizing your customer benefits.

The other guy talking about end of year DIP is because MOST dealers won't move off MSRP until their lot fees basically eat up their margin and they want to move a vehicle before it reaches some artificial line in the sand they have put down for themselves. Those potential customers, 99% of all customers, see a HUGE tick down in the advertised prices and OTD.

They THINK they are getting an awesome deal because that is what they always see, MSRP and Year End DIP.

While YOU are basically offering the same price all year around because you are operating on a volume basis and not margin. You have your profit set, and volume makes your money. You are not trying to maximize every customer into a huge margin to offset the dealers potential BS loss at the end of the year as they try to clear inventory they could have moved faster with reasonable pricing.

You are both absolutely right.
Unfortunately for almost every customer, he is MORE right... because we don't have dealers around us like you.
Sponsored