Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Long ago when Ford first told us what colors would be available for Bronco, I was intrigued in particular by the color Area 51. To me, while Area 51 (the location) is actually in Nevada, I imagined the color, once revealed, would be some shade of green, as in little green aliens, particularly given my deep personal ties to the two years I lived in Roswell, NM (yes, that Roswell) in the mid-80s. Like others, I imagined the color would be some kind of green... as in little green aliens. Well, that was not the case, as we all know. Rather than anything green, it was blue, though I still love that color as it reminds me of the vintage Marine blue on the classic old Land Rovers). But I digress...

View attachment 66468

So, why is Area 51 the color it is? My theory? It all boils down to the following points, I believe:

1. In 1954, then President Eisenhower authorized development of what would eventually become the U2 high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft. The name of the project... Project Aquatone. And, in 1955, Area 51 was established as the test site for Project Aquatone.

2. In the summer of 1955, people began reporting UFO sightings around Area 51. Well, that's because the Air Force had started testing the U2.

3. In 1955, Ford had a color called Aquatone blue available (I believe that was the first year of that color's availability). In the below image, its' the fourth color down from the top in the left column.
View attachment 66465

Oh... and for those of you who feel that color calling your name... maybe the 50s Doo-Wop group The Aquatones (yup, like the color) summed it up best in their song 'She's the One for Me'.
View attachment 66470
Funny you mention the Rover Marine Blue. I had the same thought. Here is a picture of my Land Rover recently painted in Marine Blue. To me Rover Marine Blue can appear to have more of a green shade to it and seem clearly Blue at other times. Kind of an alien experience with the changing appearance. The Area 51 pictures on the forum always seem Blue to me. Would love to see A51 in person.

Ford Bronco DELETE 1606669298651

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is the shade of blue on the record label mere coincedence, then?

Sponsored

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is very cool! I like what you have said! Rover is very badass too! I had asked @LEGEND about how Ford mixes the paint. He said it's all pre mixed and Area 51 was def tweaked in the beginning. I def think we saw different shades of the color! I tend to describe it as a corn-flower blue! I think it's why it looks so good with yellow accents! Ever been to a shabby chic midwest wedding! Lol

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Long ago when Ford first told us what colors would be available for Bronco, I was intrigued in particular by the color Area 51. To me, while Area 51 (the location) is actually in Nevada, I imagined the color, once revealed, would be some shade of green, as in little green aliens, particularly given my deep personal ties to the two years I lived in Roswell, NM (yes, that Roswell) in the mid-80s. Like others, I imagined the color would be some kind of green... as in little green aliens. Well, that was not the case, as we all know. Rather than anything green, it was blue, though I still love that color as it reminds me of the vintage Marine blue on the classic old Land Rovers). But I digress...

So, why is Area 51 the color it is? My theory? It all boils down to the following points, I believe:

1. In 1954, then President Eisenhower authorized development of what would eventually become the U2 high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft. The name of the project... Project Aquatone. And, in 1955, Area 51 was established as the test site for Project Aquatone.

2. In the summer of 1955, people began reporting UFO sightings around Area 51. Well, that's because the Air Force had started testing the U2.

3. In 1955, Ford had a color called Aquatone blue available (I believe that was the first year of that color's availability). In the below image, its' the fourth color down from the top in the left column.

Oh... and for those of you who feel that color calling your name... maybe the 50s Doo-Wop group The Aquatones (yup, like the color) summed it up best in their song 'She's the One for Me'.

Ford Bronco DELETE 9317FC34-9880-4154-A426-B3A01F4FE0F9

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Love your Rover!!! Just splendid!
Thank you!
I love the patina color of the old rover blue in your picture. At that faded stage it loses its blueish greenish color properties & is just a nice faded blue. Years ago I had another Series III with the faded blue patina for a short time and that is why I painted my current truck (originally Limestone colored) in marine blue. IMO the blue is the best color of the older Rover color options. Second favorite would be poppy red. Was really leaning towards the A51 and for now planning on going Race Red for the Bronco.

Sponsored

dentonmd

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anybody know the Pantone or Hex value of Area 51? I would love to get my boat wrapped in the exact same color to match my bronco…

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anybody know the Pantone or Hex value of Area 51? I would love to get my boat wrapped in the exact same color to match my bronco…
Somebody in here did a color analysis and got those values waaay back. Do a search you should find it pretty easy

dentonmd

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
embarrassed that I can’t find it… I used to consider myself a search wizard, but can’t dig it up. 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored