Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife does not like new things.

I taught her how to drive a manual in a 650hp car with a wicked grabby puck clutch when she was 40 years old.

It can happen. You can do it.
Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just told her I was buying the manual and she was going to learn to drive it for "emergency purposes". She hasn't complained yet lol

ColoradoDad

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Toyota FJ60
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I desperetly wanted the manual transmission as well. But like many of your spouses she cant drive a stick. I offered to teach her (on my current Land Cruiser). She said that with the kids its too distracting to operate a manual and tend to them. I've never had this problem, so my compromise is that if she wants an automatic, I get the V6. I get more power and she's happy not learning to drive a cluth. ;)

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My wife can drive a stick. We both prefer the feeling of being more engaged in the driving experience. And we’re potters, so I’ll plan to haul 500-750 lbs of clay in the two door, fairly regularly. I’ll remove the Rear seats pretty immediately. And her main concern is the load on the 2.3L on the four hour round trip to purchase clay every other month. Hows that engine and Getrag setup gonna handle years of that? An auto and 2.7 is a big consideration.
But man am I Black Diamond with a manual all day otherwise?!

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me manuals are an unnecessary pain and I have zero interest in owning one.

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife can drive a stick. We both prefer the feeling of being more engaged in the driving experience. And we’re potters, so I’ll plan to haul 500-750 lbs of clay in the two door, fairly regularly. I’ll remove the Rear seats pretty immediately. And her main concern is the load on the 2.3L on the four hour round trip to purchase clay every other month. Hows that engine and Getrag setup gonna handle years of that? An auto and 2.7 is a big consideration.
But man am I Black Diamond with a manual all day otherwise?!
hauling 500 pounds is like two of me sitting in the back seat:) I’m sure the 2.3 manual can handle it! Can tow 3500 lbs.

RollTideFan

Base
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta 2004 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Never been married and never had kids so a manual is a no brainier for me. I taught several girls in school to drive a stick in high school. Had a 77 Ford pickup with a three on the tree and no power steering. Much easier to teach them now in the modern stuff but I can sympathize with your issue. Best of luck!

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If a happy wife is a necessary condition for a happy life then I am afraid you will be her slave for the rest of your life. The demands of a demanding wife are limitless and never ending.

But as far as auto vs manual for the Bronco, unless you plan to be using the crawl gear of the manual for 90+% of your driving you’re better off with the very capable 10 speed and plus only the automatic comes with the trail control and needed for the turn assist and trail one pedal driving.

Sponsored

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife has her vehicle and I’ll have my own. She’s open to learning a manual but she got her pick of the family vehicle last time without any disagreement from me. So now it’s my turn. I will not bend the knee!

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reasons to get a manual
1.) Anti-theft.
2.) Anti-friend. "I'd love to let you borrow my car/take over on a road trip but you can't drive stick" (Totally not because you're a maniac behind the wheel and a danger to yourself and others)
3.) Keeps the kids in check. They can't text and drive (as easily)
4.) Engine braking. She's a heavy girl (the car, not your wife) and you don't want to smoke your brakes on long downhills, so its safer (just ignore that automatics can do similar things)
5.) No hunting for gears. Drove my friends cherokee automatic and the damn thing kept upshifting going up a hill. I need torque not economy dammit.
6.) Parking: You get a legit parking break and can leave it in gear. No wimpy little parking pawl to fail on you

Reasons not to get a manual
1.) Stop and go traffic. Negated by the crawler gear
2.) No 2.7 (really the only valid reason not to get a manual unless you want a base 'squatch)
3.) Its hard to do well (which can serve as a great warning sign you shouldn't be driving if you're too exhausted, that beer was stronger than you expected, etc)
4.) You hate America, freedom, and puppies

Just show her this perfectly unbiased list and she'll be sure to change her mind

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
My current GF prefers the stick.

She may be the Keeper.

Kogi

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes I know im not the only one!!! It's been a week of discussion in my home about me wanting a manual Bronco, but no agreement so far. Im making arguments, excuses, im not begging yet. Just for fun, if you have the same issue. What have you said to your partner trying to convince her or him to have a manual Bronco??
I taught my wife how to drive manual. We never fought so much but when she got it down I could tell how empowered she felt and I was so proud of her. Driving manual is a skill that fewer and fewer people possess so it feels good to know that both my wife and I can do it.
Sponsored