Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow guys. “Happy wife, happy life” I guess. Find yourself one who can do (and loves) both! Haha. Both my cars are MT. I mostly enjoy it, but after I moved into the east coast traffic, I can see the appeal of AT to avoid the “hulk leg”. You’ll figure it out!!!
This. I can get what I want (which is not mans tran) but I played with the idea. My wife's response is "Why would you want to drive a manual transmission in stop and go traffic everyday?" To which my response is "just because" :cool:
Sponsored

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
one thing I don't miss about having a stick when I was younger is being able to eat and drive at the same time. I still did it....,but it was difficult.

I guess the current day equivalent to this is trying to text and drive stick, in addition to eating...ha
My line was: in 10 years when I give this to our kids they won't be able to text and drive... But that might be too specific to help you. EDIT It may also be a completely irrelevant argument in a decade, but I'll have the car by then, so it won't matter ;)

Last edited:

Konn

Badlands
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Marauder
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reasons to get a manual
1.) Anti-theft.
2.) Anti-friend. "I'd love to let you borrow my car/take over on a road trip but you can't drive stick" (Totally not because you're a maniac behind the wheel and a danger to yourself and others)
3.) Keeps the kids in check. They can't text and drive (as easily)
4.) Engine braking. She's a heavy girl (the car, not your wife) and you don't want to smoke your brakes on long downhills, so its safer (just ignore that automatics can do similar things)
5.) No hunting for gears. Drove my friends cherokee automatic and the damn thing kept upshifting going up a hill. I need torque not economy dammit.
6.) Parking: You get a legit parking break and can leave it in gear. No wimpy little parking pawl to fail on you

Reasons not to get a manual
1.) Stop and go traffic. Negated by the crawler gear
2.) No 2.7 (really the only valid reason not to get a manual unless you want a base 'squatch)
3.) Its hard to do well (which can serve as a great warning sign you shouldn't be driving if you're too exhausted, that beer was stronger than you expected, etc)
4.) You hate America, freedom, and puppies

Just show her this perfectly unbiased list and she'll be sure to change her mind
Would the crawler gear actually be useful for traffic? I've driven manuals before, but never a crawler gear. I live and work in a big city, so dealing with traffic is the main reason i've been thinking about going with the AT.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife is an excellent Manual driver, she just does not want to do it. She also supports my need for the manual.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife is an excellent Manual driver, she just does not want to do it. She also supports my need for the manual.
Same here. Just doesn't care much either way but definitely prefers auto. She has her own truck so it's not much of an issue.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I know im not the only one!!! It's been a week of discussion in my home about me wanting a manual Bronco, but no agreement so far. Im making arguments, excuses, im not begging yet. Just for fun, if you have the same issue. What have you said to your partner trying to convince her or him to have a manual Bronco??
My wife doesn't drive anymore so she doesn't care. She wouldn't care even if she still drove. If I wanted a manual and she wanted to drive I'm sure she'd learn. She already knows how to ride her own 6 speed motorcycle. Unlike on the motorcycle if you F up a shift in a car/truck you don't fall over.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife can drive a stick no problem, she had two trucks, but she much prefers a AT in city driving. I have driven both of course, and actually prefer two pedal off road with an AT as it provides better slow control over obstacles, and easing out of slippery conditions. That being said I am thinking about the M/T now that SAS is available.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think we'd be fighting if I didn't get a manual!

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I taught my wife how to drive stick. Not too difficult.

She still doesn't like to drive it. Doesn't matter, she has her own automatic car and could technically can drive mine in a pinch.

No issue.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The wife hasn't re-learned how to drive stick since her brain surgery in '15. She has her own vehicle and hasn't shown any interest in driving the Bronco yet. But she'll want to.

The FiST is my daily and I'll keep that around. To me a fun CAR should always be manual. I get a little tired of shifting sometimes, it's hard on my old knees, and I prefer an Auto for offroad.

I want a 2.7.

Decision made.

Sponsored

Pwm317

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As much as I really want a manual transmission I just don't think it is in the cards for me. I'm having one knee replaced in December with the other scheduled for next year.

Of course chances are my order won't be delivered until I'm fully healed!

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If my wife couldn't drive a stick I would consider her in my decision. It's not a "power" thing just a consideration thing.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes I know im not the only one!!! It's been a week of discussion in my home about me wanting a manual Bronco, but no agreement so far. Im making arguments, excuses, im not begging yet. Just for fun, if you have the same issue. What have you said to your partner trying to convince her or him to have a manual Bronco??
I want to avoid all the Problems and quietly buy the AT and AT Alone. I know how to drive a Manual as I learnt the Manual. But my Wife learnt driving the AT. I don't want any cussing later on after I get the Manual. I am very sure that she would say I purposefully bought a Manual so that She cannot drive? and emotional blackmail me and I don't want my relatives know what I got for myself or what I got myself into from my Wife. After some Wise man said, Happy Wife gets a Happy Life. ?

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would the crawler gear actually be useful for traffic? I've driven manuals before, but never a crawler gear. I live and work in a big city, so dealing with traffic is the main reason i've been thinking about going with the AT.
Honestly I'm not really sure, never had a crawler gear. I've driven in California traffic (merging onto the 91 from a toll road during rush hour), and I70 in ski season. I figure it will make some traffic less bad, but definitely not be a panacea. Crawler gear would have been good for the 91 (can smooth out the stop and go if you putt along at the average speed instead of accelerate, stop, repeat) but dealing with the "from a stop, up to 20, maybe 40, slam brakes down to 0" kind that I70 generates I think you're screwed regardless of transmission.
Sponsored