Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Ford Focus, Buick Enclave, Toyota CH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

one thing I don't miss about having a stick when I was younger is being able to eat and drive at the same time. I still did it....,but it was difficult.

I guess the current day equivalent to this is trying to text and drive stick, in addition to eating...ha
But wasn’t it fun! Driving with your knees!
Sponsored

Krampus

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My argument at home is a little backwards. The wife has never owned an automatic and hates driving them because she slams the brakes on accident. I drive 60+ miles a day in traffic and I'm starting to get "soft" and remote start in the winter is nice. But heated steering wheel is an option on some models.
Still looking at the manual because its the last manual SUV available and i think she would leave me if i got the automatic when a manual is an option. But i really need to see how well car seats fit in the backseat, if its like the ranger i should be ok. ?

TangoUniform

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only advantage I see to a manual transmission is that it saves some money on the initial purchase - but the first time the clutch needs to be replaced, that cost is negated. I've driven manual transmissions in most of my cars (I'm 50), and the current one (2016 Mustang) is an automatic - it's a daily driver that gets about 20k miles on it per year, with a lot of traffic - there are NO downsides to having the auto - it shifts FAR faster than anyone with a manual transmission could possibly shift (there's a reason why almost all the cars at the drag strip have auto transmissions), it's consistent, reliable, and no clutch issues, and I don't have to worry about constantly shifting in stop/go traffic. My previous (2012) Mustang had the MT82 transmission - which is garbage - frequent gear lockouts under hard acceleration (a known issue), the dual mass flywheel failed around 65k miles (another known issue, which was covered under extended warranty, but would have cost me over $3k if it hadn't been)... for me, there's no question - auto all day long.
Um , no. There is a downside to the auto in that it completely takes all the fun out of driving. The clutch is your connection to the drive train. Without it you might as well be sitting in the back seat.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My argument at home is a little backwards. The wife has never owned an automatic and hates driving them because she slams the brakes on accident. I drive 60+ miles a day in traffic and I'm starting to get "soft" and remote start in the winter is nice. But heated steering wheel is an option on some models.
Still looking at the manual because its the last manual SUV available and i think she would leave me if i got the automatic when a manual is an option. But i really need to see how well car seats fit in the backseat, if its like the ranger i should be ok. ?
Tell her to use the right (get it) foot for the brake just like her manuals.

I don't understand why people drive an automatic with 2 feet. I train drivers at work and it is much more common than I ever would've thought.

Krampus

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tell her to use the right (get it) foot for the brake just like her manuals.

I don't understand why people drive an automatic with 2 feet. I train drivers at work and it is much more common than I ever would've thought.
That's not the problem, you always modulate the brake with your right foot. The problem is when you try to come to a complete stop quickly. Subconsciously you think that you need to depress the clutch and you end up hitting the brake with your left foot or do this strange dead peddle press.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My sister lives with my in my Townhouse, and she might be out by January, so only thing stopping me from Stick is funding and a lack of patience

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's not the problem, you always modulate the brake with your right foot. The problem is when you try to come to a complete stop quickly. Subconsciously you think that you need to depress the clutch and you end up hitting the brake with your left foot or do this strange dead peddle press.
Ohh, I get you now. It's the muscle memory. That can be untrained with practice.

My fault for assuming, I see it so much with our trainees at work I figured she was left footing the brake on purpose. I've constantly got to tell people "left foot braking is a car control technique that you will never need in a milk truck. Use your right foot only."

I did that once in my older sister's boyfriend's Camaro. I thought it was sooo cool of him to let me take it for a spin. When I got back to the house I locked up all four coming to a stop. He never let me drive his car again.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Always remember with manual you can also start your car if you have a dead battery and also still shift if your clutch gives out. Try that in an automatic lol

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes I know im not the only one!!! It's been a week of discussion in my home about me wanting a manual Bronco, but no agreement so far. Im making arguments, excuses, im not begging yet. Just for fun, if you have the same issue. What have you said to your partner trying to convince her or him to have a manual Bronco??
Get her a new kitchen. Costs about the same as your new Bronco.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't need to have that talk, wife has no problem with a manual Trans, she was driving one when I met her.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's only one place to start : how old are you? If you're nearing 60 or it's too late! a shoulder or knee replacement will park your stick.

After that, do what you like.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's only one place to start : how old are you? If you're nearing 60 or it's too late! a shoulder or knee replacement will park your stick.

After that, do what you like.
Just asked my wife (a knee and shoulder surgeon) about this. She said as long as you could drive one before, in most cases, it should not be an issue (or maybe even better) after unless it was a traumatic injury and/or you didn't follow through with physio. Even then none of her patients have ever had this concern.

There are outliers for sure but no reason to not be driving a stick past 60 or think that a surgery will for sure stop you completely.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My argument is Mustang V Bronco, not transmission

Manual is non-negotiable, just like democracy

Thundar

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RangeRover, Jk Rubi, Renegade, F-250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I know im not the only one!!! It's been a week of discussion in my home about me wanting a manual Bronco, but no agreement so far. Im making arguments, excuses, im not begging yet. Just for fun, if you have the same issue. What have you said to your partner trying to convince her or him to have a manual Bronco??
My advice is get what u want. 2 years ago I sold my side by side and bought a 2008 rub [auto] because my wife said u can get one but has to be an auto. She can drive a stick but does not want to drive one anymore because of traffic. I then sold my truck and bought a new JL and got an auto again because their new stick is like shifting a Honda civic..... Terrible. So after 6 months I sold it and ordered a manual bronco. Short of it.... My wife only drove to the jeeps a handfull of times. I would get what you want because you will not be satisfied if u settle.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe they remember of their first go cart driving...
Sponsored