Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last year had planed a Jeep road trip with my daughter through Arizona over spring break. That was right when everything started shutting down in Austin, so we needed to cut the trip short after a few days in Tucson and head back home.

We are hoping to finish the rest of the trip this spring break. Looking to arrive in Phoenix on the 13th, spend a few days there then work our way to the South Rim. Between Phoenix and the South Rim will have 3-4 days we would check places out.

Daughter likes getting out hiking and hitting trails that are more scenic then difficult. Looking for recommendations of places to visit, trails to check out and/or offroad/Jeep groups in those areas that have members setting up group runs.

Photo is from last year, back side of Mount Lemon.

20200316_095921.jpg
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plenty to do on the way. I'd go through Prescott -> Jerome -> Sedona -> Flagstaff. Plenty of wheeling and hiking to be done in those areas!

Trail Recon has some good videos basically doing that exact trip. Also, Cinders area outside of Flagstaff is basically a volcanic ash playground. Drive wherever you want.

Trail Recon - Sedona Trails
Trail Recon - Arizona Overland

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Plenty to do on the way. I'd go through Prescott -> Jerome -> Sedona -> Flagstaff. Plenty of wheeling and hiking to be done in those areas!

Trail Recon has some good videos basically doing that exact trip. Also, Cinders area outside of Flagstaff is basically a volcanic ash playground. Drive wherever you want.
Thanks, was looking at the Prescott-Jerome-Sedona areas to spend a few nights. Was not aware of the Cinders area, that sounds really cool.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, was looking at the Prescott-Jerome-Sedona areas to spend a few nights. Was not aware of the Cinders area, that sounds really cool.
I personally wouldn't stay in Prescott - but I figured google would force you to take 89A from S->N into Jerome (which is personally a must drive) vs. taking the fast way, 17N into Camp Verde and backtracking a little to get to Jerome.

Jerome is a cool 1 street bi-level old mining town perched on top of a hill. Haunted Hamburger is a great spot for a bite. Then Sedona is it's own type of gorgeous, but can get a little touristy. Flagstaff is a cool town with tons of good breweries, and is the standard staging point for Grand Canyoners going to the South Rim.

Basically get on 89A - could even start at Yarnell and drive it all the way into Flagstaff to get the most out of your road miles.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can list a few places to check out between Phoenix and the south rim.
Crown king, Prescott, Jerome, cotton wood (verde canyon RR is an awesome 2-3hr ride), Sedona, San Francisco Volcanic Field flag staff.

https://verdecanyonrr.com/

Reactions: cmb

Sponsored

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also check out On X Off road app it has a lot of off-road trails already preloaded and you have the ability to creat your own routes. This app also allows you to save an area for out of network navigation. I am using this app and getting to know it because ford says it will be preloaded on the Bronco and you can link your account and saved trails.

AZBronco73

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands SAS, 2015 Dodge Durango
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, since you will be in Phoenix, you must go here to eat:
https://www.gadzooksaz.com
(I’m not kidding - it’s really not to be missed!)

Take a drive up to the top of South Mountain at night, and look down on the Valley.

If you want some easy hikes, Phoenix Mountain Preserve and McDowell Mt. Regional park are beautiful. There are more strenuous hikes (like the Flatiron) if you want.

Going north, as mentioned Crown King and Jerome, Sedona, and Prescott are good places to visit. Schnebly Hill Rd. (not the trail - that’s Bronoc-only) is a unpaved road up from Sedona to Flagstaff. Might be worth it.

As you head to the Grand Canyon, wave as you pass by the Deer Farm in Williams - we have a place just down the street. There are lots of nice, easy hikes around Williams - my wife and I like this one - we pack a picnic and eat by the lake:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/tra...rizona-hike-scholz-lake-south-parks/14686163/

Post back if you would like more restaurant / activity suggestions.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OK, since you will be in Phoenix, you must go here to eat:
https://www.gadzooksaz.com
(I’m not kidding - it’s really not to be missed!)

Take a drive up to the top of South Mountain at night, and look down on the Valley.

If you want some easy hikes, Phoenix Mountain Preserve and McDowell Mt. Regional park are beautiful. There are more strenuous hikes (like the Flatiron) if you want.

Going north, as mentioned Crown King and Jerome, Sedona, and Prescott are good places to visit. Schnebly Hill Rd. (not the trail - that’s Bronoc-only) is a unpaved road up from Sedona to Flagstaff. Might be worth it.

As you head to the Grand Canyon, wave as you pass by the Deer Farm in Williams - we have a place just down the street. There are lots of nice, easy hikes around Williams - my wife and I like this one - we pack a picnic and eat by the lake:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/tra...rizona-hike-scholz-lake-south-parks/14686163/

Post back if you would like more restaurant / activity suggestions.
Thanks! Always looking for restaurants recommendations. One of my favorite things about roading tripping around the country is trying all the great places to eat.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I definitely recommend Crown King as well. The backroad from NW Phx from Lake Pleasant to Crown King is a fun run with great scenery with elevation changes from 1200ft to over 7000ft. Well traveled trail by jeeps, trucks and SxS's. https://www.onxmaps.com/maps/off-road/trail/arizona-backway-to-crown-king
Was looking at Crown King, how difficult is that? Since it may just be my daughter and I was leaning towards easy runs. Was thinking that one would be better if I was able to meetup with someone in the area.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

restaurant recommendations:
Matt's big Breakfast
Carlsbad Tavern
Paradise Valley Burger
Joe's real BBQ
Lolo's chicken and waffles
Angel's Trumpet Alehouse
and if you're feeling like blowing a bit more $$$
Fat Ox
Toro
Roka Akor

And yes, the entire 89/89a might be one of the best roads in the continental US, there's a nice side jaunt out of sedona to flagstaff called 'Schnebly Hill' that's fun for the jeep folks too.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More Phoenix area restaurants:
Pizzeria Bianco (rated best pizza in the US (!)) and his companion restaurant Pane Bianco.
Los Dos Molinos. Truly amazing New Mexico-style Mexican food. Blazingly hot, but awesome. If you go do the South Mountain drive, there is one at the base of the mountain, in Tom Mix's old house.
The Duck and Decanter. Lunch place that has a nice patio with live music, been in business for forever. One of our favorite spots.

Flagstaff:
MartAnne's - wonderful greasy Mexican food.
Café Daily Fare - We love this place. Specials change every day, farm-to-table dishes, really great.

Williams -
Grand Canyon Brewing Company

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you stop in Tempe, IMO the best pizza is Spinato's. They also have locations in Scottsdale and Ahwatukee. Another good and inexpensive Mexican restaurant in Old Town Scottsdale is Los Olivos.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you stop in Tempe, IMO the best pizza is Spinato's. They also have locations in Scottsdale and Ahwatukee. Another good and inexpensive Mexican restaurant in Old Town Scottsdale is Los Olivos.
Even better are their Spinach Calzones!
Now i'm getting hungry....

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. Looks like it will end up being a full week and there will be more then I can get to in the week I am there.
Sponsored