First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I've owned 7 wranglers and now a Gladiator Rubicon. So far I like what I see, maybe they can offer us Jeep folks a good old big fat rebate to switch over.
Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I in the minority on this?
I do not think you are in the minority on this as much as the argument is overly generalized by the competition. You can go to nearly any Bronco video on YouTube and you'll find in the comments section, "It won't be able to rock crawl as well as the Jeep!"

Obviously, a SFA does more than just climb rocks while offroad. But that goes back to the fact that 95% of Jeeps never leave the road, just like the Bronco's won't. The argument is really weak to begin with because the majority will never use the SFA. But the majority will use the IFS, which will be more comfortable and livable for the Bronco owners and former Jeep owners.

OP
OP
Simmy

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I've owned 7 wranglers and now a Gladiator Rubicon. So far I like what I see, maybe they can offer us Jeep folks a good old big fat rebate to switch over.
I think it'd be brilliant if Ford offers conquest discounts / sales / offers right at Bronco market launch to convert Jeep owners while the hype and interest is at its highest.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it'd be brilliant if Ford offers conquest discounts / sales / offers right at Bronco market launch to convert Jeep owners while the hype and interest is at its highest.
They won’t need to.

It cracks me up how so many people on this forum and elsewhere think the answer to Ford’s prayers on this vehicle is to reduce their profitability by as much as possible. That’s not how running a business works, especially one with as absurd of overhead and engineering costs as manufacturing a vehicle. Ford is going to make an absolute fucking mint on every bronco sold and I have no problem with that. They have a desirable nameplate, they’ve put the work in and made a product worth buying. They deserve a profit, and hopefully, just maybe, they reinvest that profit into making the Bronco even better in the future.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
absurd of overhead and engineering costs
Agree with that sentiment 100%. Topping the list is probably safety & fuel efficiency regs...and manufacturers share a lot of blame for not uniting against extreme requirements. They added a ton of costs, and manufacturers made margin on all of them. Anytime you have major European corporations conning governments on compliance, you know government has gone a bridge too far.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ford has to be careful. Unless there is some secret tech that allows it to actually compete with the wrangler at rock crawling. The front solid axle jeep will always win. does not make sense to boast about its off road capability unless it can actually compete and win. Without solid axles it cant , at least with major off road enthusiasts who will line up to trash it day 1. Only way ford can avoid this is if they teamed up with a 3rd party day one for a add on axle kit.

Where ford is going to win $$$ wise is if they give people a dependable open air recreation vehicle that doesnt drive like shit on the road and have terrible gas milage. People buy jeeps because you can take the roof off. Period. Its a beach car. A party car. A fun car.

If they put a v8 in said recreational vehicle it will be curtains for the jeep brand as they have nowhere to go but to completely and totally rebuild the vehicle down to every screw and wire.
With respect my friend you must have not driven the new Wrangler JL. Mine drives comparable as good as my other vehicles on the highway, and will average 25+ mpgs. That ain't bad for a four door 4WD vehicle that is more capable stock off the road than I'll ever be. I hope Ford can complete with the Jeep, but the Jeep certainly isn't a dog on the road.

Deadfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350, 2007 HD Road King, 2013 370Z
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With respect my friend you must have not driven the new Wrangler JL. Mine drives comparable as good as my other vehicles on the highway, and will average 25+ mpgs. That ain't bad for a four door 4WD vehicle that is more capable stock off the road than I'll ever be. I hope Ford can complete with the Jeep, but the Jeep certainly isn't a dog on the road.
I just bought a 2020 JL Rubicon and it is awesome... driving on the road is a bit bumpy and loud, but I expected/wanted that. I'm still gonna get the Bronco when it comes out, and then I will be able to compare notes directly. I'll be getting the manual, which my girl won't be happy with, but the Jeep has basically become hers, so no big deal :p

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hope they give the discount for the shell of my 93 ZJ after I rob the drivetrain for my Eagle!

Chris73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Will be interesting to see the Bronco, not sure if I would ever take a Ford seriously, I have a 2020 JLU it’s OK but for me my next buy is the Land Rover Defender (best 4x4xfar)!

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Will be interesting to see the Bronco, not sure if I would ever take a Ford seriously, I have a 2020 JLU it’s OK but for me my next buy is the Land Rover Defender (best 4x4xfar)!
Just be prepared for the frequent, expensive LR repair bills.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
land rover hasnt made a 4x4 that was worth its cost for 30 years or more. Best 4x4 ever is probably jeep cj8. with nothing more than good tires there wasnt much they couldnt survive. I will say if you want comfort though every year and style of bronco has it and 85-95% of the cjs abilities depending on year. all at a price affordable to anyone with a mediocre job.

danzy55

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have to agree having owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, JK JL and now a JT the quality of the ride, features have all improved vastly. Just have to remember your driving a damn brick on wheels and the Bronco will be the same. Ford will have issues just like any other manufacturer that's a given. I'm pumped to see the new Bronco because I believe competition makes all brands up the game and I'll strongly consider the Bronco after I see the finished product. Now I get no where near 25mpg in the Gladiator Rubicon it gets right around 17-18 MPG of mixed driving. Again would be awesome to get into the mid to high 20's but again its a brick. If I wanted that I'd go buy a small SUV or car but that's not what I want. I want a fun SUV, convertible in the summer and 4x4 in the winter and something I can add shit to. If I want to have a mall crawler great or know I can jump off road and handle most all situations great.

danzy55

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
They won’t need to.

It cracks me up how so many people on this forum and elsewhere think the answer to Ford’s prayers on this vehicle is to reduce their profitability by as much as possible. That’s not how running a business works, especially one with as absurd of overhead and engineering costs as manufacturing a vehicle. Ford is going to make an absolute fucking mint on every bronco sold and I have no problem with that. They have a desirable nameplate, they’ve put the work in and made a product worth buying. They deserve a profit, and hopefully, just maybe, they reinvest that profit into making the Bronco even better in the future.
I'd sure like to see something to lure my $$ away from Jeep, but I agree with you at launch I doubt any serious discounting will occur until the hype dies down. Ford needs this launch to be flawless, they are in not exactly the healthiest auto company at the moment. Dealers will be dealers who knows sure many will throw some stupid mark up beyond MSRP and I'm sure some folks will pay the price to be the "first" in the neighborhood to have one.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

land rover hasnt made a 4x4 that was worth its cost for 30 years or more. Best 4x4 ever is probably jeep cj8. with nothing more than good tires there wasnt much they couldnt survive. I will say if you want comfort though every year and style of bronco has it and 85-95% of the cjs abilities depending on year. all at a price affordable to anyone with a mediocre job.
I'd agree with you on the CJ8, but the stock engines were less than powerful or reliable. By the time I figured out I wanted one they'd become a bit collectable and too expensive. On the best Jeep ever, my LJ Rubicon makes a run at it but, without a lift is quite a belly dragger, and the 4 Liter, while bullet proof is a bit underpowered. (]It goes faster up hills while being towed by my motorhome than under it's own power). And I've noticed horrid depreciation on Land Rovers, they've run twice the cost of my Explorers new, but after a few years are comparable in the used market.
Sponsored