Sponsored

Article: Is the 2021 Ford Bronco the Overlander You’ve Been Waiting For?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Another excellent article written by Patrick Rich a few months back for Auto Anything. Worth a quick read, then some bleating of the safety donkey, and angry posts from users. Have at it!

A snippet to whet your whistle enough to click the link:

"Right now is a second golden age for off-road enthusiasts. Overlanding has come in and done to off-roading what snowboarding did to winter sports in the 90’s. Fresh blood, new ideas. Not long ago the choices were basically between the hardcore crawling focused Wrangler or the more balanced 4Runner for off-road wagons. With this explosion in the market comes new and potentially difficult choices for what vehicle will be the best for you. While brand loyalties will likely decide for many people, many others are faced with the options wholistically and it’s to those people I speak to today."

https://www.autoanything.com/resources/is-the-2021-ford-bronco-the-overlander-youve-been-waiting-for/
Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with the author, Toyota has the overlanding thing locked down with the Taco, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser. You could make an overlander out of a Bronco if you really wanted to, but I just think there will be other vehicles better at it.

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

. . . Toyota has the overlanding thing locked down with the Taco, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser. . .
And the Lexus GX460 (Land Cruiser Prado in other markets). And am I a Toyota fan boy? Yes, Absolutely.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeep Gladiator seems like a really good overland platform as well, particularly the diesel. I have seen some pretty slick set ups with them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Jeep Gladiator seems like a really good overland platform as well, particularly the diesel. I have seen some pretty slick set ups with them.
Price being the limiting factor there. If you're willing to drop a grip of cash cash to make it happen, Gladiator is your platform.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dam made me look!

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting read! I see that list some what changing in few years once Broncos hit the roads! Do I think they will become household overlanders overnight...no!

At the same time..who knows hoping to full time travel my bronco in 5/6 years! Hopefully bronco stays a staple in the Ford lineup for many years to come! Only time will tell! Can't overland something with no parts to come by out and about!

Last edited:

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Much Appricaieted ... always up for some good reading mtl ...

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Price being the limiting factor there. If you're willing to drop a grip of cash cash to make it happen, Gladiator is your platform.
I don’t think so. I’d put the 2000-2003 Excursion 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel with its solid front axle and factory 44 gallon fuel tank at #1. Then any one of the half dozen Toyota/Lexus models. Then probably a Nissan Patrol. Then, maybe, Jeeps. Maybe? I want reliability over anything when overlanding or venturing far Into the wilderness. For instance, I’d take a Corolla over a Land Rover.

Well, thats a bit much, but I would take a 2wd Taco over a LR!

Last edited:

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That new F150 Tremor will be ready for Overlanding. I’d take that over a Tundra TRDpro all day long.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Better stock tires. F & R lockers (maybe the pro has fronts, but idk), better looking, better seats, way better cameras and screens and tech, better wheels, and better bed functionality. Also, and this is huge for me personally, way the hell better MPG.

if a Pro fell in your boy’s lap, I’d be happy, don’t get me wrong; but, yea, it needs a major redo