First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Disclaimer, I am not an expert on the manual topic but found this article and thought it was an interesting read.

I am someone who never learned how to drive a manual growing up, both my parents gave up on driving manuals by the time I got around. The few months I had one of my friends teach me some of the basics, and I got hooked just after an hour or so. At this point I'm going the manual route with my Bronco, between going on here, reading comments about manual and being behind the wheel of a manual learning the ropes, I'm confident in just full sending into the manual world with it replacing my current DD Escape. I thought this was a good article about the importance of a manual not just from a fun to drive aspect but from learning to be a more aware driver and how to work the vehicle you're driving, though it's a bit old of an article. I don't know if I think the road tests should be changed but I do think it would of been a benefit to me if early on I learned how to drive stick.

I'm more in line with voting with your money, if you like a particular vehicle still or in this case transmission you have to go buy it new. With the Bronco having a manual as the stock transmission on all the trims that come stock with the 2.3L, I want to get mine with a manual now and hope to see more people that say they want a manual, get a manual. I don't blame anyone for either going the auto on the two engine choices, I just hope to see a decent amount of the people that made a reservation get one.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2014/0...ple-better-drivers/?__twitter_impression=true
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Driving manual absolutely makes you a better driver. Same for driving a vehicle without nannies. Kids today are spoiled by vehicles that drive themselves and now no one knows how to handle poor weather, slippery roads, or anything out of the ordinary and its pathetic.

In a similar vein, riding a motorcycle improves your awareness while driving tenfold. I often think everyone should have to do it at some point. The roads would be a safer place.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving manual absolutely makes you a better driver. Same for driving a vehicle without nannies. Kids today are spoiled by vehicles that drive themselves and now no one knows how to handle poor weather, slippery roads, or anything out of the ordinary and its pathetic.

In a similar vein, riding a motorcycle improves your awareness while driving tenfold. I often think everyone should have to do it at some point. The roads would be a safer place.

Riding a motorcycle definitely helps to make you a better driver. I look in places most people wouldn't and anticipate what if all the time. Almost bought it yesterday morning going home from work in the dark. Some asshole without his headlights on almost took me out. You can bet I'll be looking into the dark a bit harder for quite a while. I also do not text and drive, period. Can't tell you how many people I meet with their head down not having a clue what's going on around them.

As far as the manual making me a better driver, I don't know as I started driving a manual as a kid. I know it makes me more aware of my own vehicle and it's performance. You shift based on feel, without even realizing you are doing it. Small changes feel different and become obvious. Some on here talk about not noticing changes in gears or tire size, but when you are shifting and change those things, you also noticed the real affect it makes on the vehicle. Even minor changes.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I love being behind the wheel with a manual even though I'm still learning. It's making much more aware of what I'm doing and the other cars around me. Not to mention with most cars getting hybrids or going full electric, I want to be behind the wheel of a vehicle that requires more driver engagement.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base

While I agree in some respects, people with all wheel drive and 4x4 speeding in the rain and snow thinking they’re invincible has been a thing for a very long time

Sponsored
OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I agree in some respects, people with all wheel drive and 4x4 speeding in the rain and snow thinking they’re invincible has been a thing for a very long time
I've met quite a few Subaru owners with that mind set and didn't always end well

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’d love to have the V6, but I miss driving a manual. Every car I’ve driven up until my F150 was manual, and it’s just so much fun running through the gears. I’m leaning towards the little four banger with a catch can, an air box and a tune to squeeze a little more horses out of it. Most likely won’t tow anything past 2.5k. And I’ll probably stick to beaches and a few muddy trails.

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d love to have the V6, but I miss driving a manual. Every car I’ve driven up until my F150 was manual, and it’s just so much fun running through the gears. I’m leaning towards the little four banger with a catch can, an air box and a tune to squeeze a little more horses out of it. Most likely won’t tow anything past 2.5k. And I’ll probably stick to beaches and a few muddy trails.
I think most of us would of preferred the manual be paired to the 2.7L and Ford would've probably sold more manuals with that pairing. But I think the 2.3L will still be great with the manual.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It prevents your left calf from being embarrassed while wearing shorts.

Sponsored

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Disclaimer, I am not an expert on the manual topic but found this article and thought it was an interesting read.

I am someone who never learned how to drive a manual growing up, both my parents gave up on driving manuals by the time I got around. The few months I had one of my friends teach me some of the basics, and I got hooked just after an hour or so. At this point I'm going the manual route with my Bronco, between going on here, reading comments about manual and being behind the wheel of a manual learning the ropes, I'm confident in just full sending into the manual world with it replacing my current DD Escape. I thought this was a good article about the importance of a manual not just from a fun to drive aspect but from learning to be a more aware driver and how to work the vehicle you're driving, though it's a bit old of an article. I don't know if I think the road tests should be changed but I do think it would of been a benefit to me if early on I learned how to drive stick.

I'm more in line with voting with your money, if you like a particular vehicle still or in this case transmission you have to go buy it new. With the Bronco having a manual as the stock transmission on all the trims that come stock with the 2.3L, I want to get mine with a manual now and hope to see more people that say they want a manual, get a manual. I don't blame anyone for either going the auto on the two engine choices, I just hope to see a decent amount of the people that made a reservation get one.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2014/0...ple-better-drivers/?__twitter_impression=true
+1

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to get really mechanically connected, drive a 1973 Ford van “3 on the tree”. Our shop van (73, 300 inline 6 I think) linkage would bind up on occasion (usually at a busy intersection on Friday afternoon) and you would have to get out and release it under the van. I can bet we get zero votes in a poll for “3 on the tree” option, especially for anyone that drove them. Plus side- I would bet the chance of someone under 40 being able to drive it away in a car jacking would be 1 in a million. ?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I miss the purity of highway driving where the trans doesn't shift on hills... Just rpm adjustments....

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you want to get really mechanically connected, drive a 1973 Ford van “3 on the tree”. Our shop van (73, 300 inline 6 I think) linkage would bind up on occasion (usually at a busy intersection on Friday afternoon) and you would have to get out and release it under the van. I can bet we get zero votes in a poll for “3 on the tree” option, especially for anyone that drove them. Plus side- I would bet the chance of someone under 40 being able to drive it away in a car jacking would be 1 in a million. ?
Awhh thanks for calling me 1 in a million?