Sponsored

Article: What Can the 2021 Ford Bronco Learn from the Toyota FJ Cruiser?

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nobody wants this. At all. The F-150 Bronco based renders look ugly as fuck.

IMO I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. The Bronco is going to be Fords take on a JL Wrangler with a few Ford touches, and bronco styling like the mustang. And it’s going to be perfect.
It’s funny, because most everyone in my age bracket I’ve talked to that ACTUALLY HAS THE MEANS AND IS IN THE MARKET TO BUY THE CAR (as in not just a dreamer bitching about “being born in the wrong generation”) has explicitly said they don’t want an old looking car. Us prospective younger buyers want a modern looking car that follows the Bronco philosophy, not an awful looking remake of a has-been. As I keep saying, if I wanted an old car, I’d buy an old car. FWIW, I liked a couple of the F150-based Bronco renders... if it had just a bit less F150-with-a-cab look to it, it’d probably be pretty handsome

It’s funny that you use the Mustang as an example, as the S550 is a VERY far departure from the retro design that you’re looking for. If it were designed similar to how the Mustang was designed, it would be F150-based

If it DOES NOT have "retro styling" - or very heavy "vintage cues" (we can argue the semantics of the terminology all day long), there would be little reason to choose a new Bronco over the well-proven Wrangler platform, particularly if the Jeep holds an edge in off-road performance as is becoming increasingly suspect.
Sure there is. Ford can out-do them in interior quality, mechanical reliability, powertrain options, tow capacity, seating space, etc. (all downfalls of the Jeep and reasons why it’s not even on my radar)

If that idea was so great, they never would have stopped production. Didn't sell in 96, won't sell now either.
This logic is SEVERELY flawed. The ONLY bronco that didn’t have design based on the F150 was the 1st generation. EVERY Bronco after that was modeled after the F150. So, with your logic, you could say that F150-based broncos were around longer than the first gen, so making it look like a first gen would mean it wouldn’t sell at all

I wouldn’t mind a full size Raptor looking Bronco that was more made for trails. The front end of the Raptor now is very sexy. Or even that look transferring to a smaller mid size Bronco we know we are getting.
This is exactly what I’m looking for. Not a carbon-copy Raptor, but based on similar design language (more squared off, aggressive looking headlights, taller grille, rectangular taillights, the style line on the front windows, etc.)
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s funny, because most everyone in my age bracket I’ve talked to that ACTUALLY HAS THE MEANS AND IS IN THE MARKET TO BUY THE CAR (as in not just a dreamer bitching about “being born in the wrong generation”) has explicitly said they don’t want an old looking car. Us prospective younger buyers want a modern looking car that follows the Bronco philosophy, not an awful looking remake of a has-been. As I keep saying, if I wanted an old car, I’d buy an old car. FWIW, I liked a couple of the F150-based Bronco renders... if it had just a bit less F150-with-a-cab look to it, it’d probably be pretty handsome

It’s funny that you use the Mustang as an example, as the S550 is a VERY far departure from the retro design that you’re looking for. If it were designed similar to how the Mustang was designed, it would be F150-based
I never said I want something super retro. I want something similar to a JL wrangler but instead of Chrysler parts, Ford. Is a JL or mustang overly retro? No. They definitely have design elements of the earlier vehicles but I don’t want a PT Cruiser.

As far as those who “have the means” to buy a Bronco... I don’t see anybody picking up 1995 Broncos for insane prices the same way the first gen Broncos are going for. If you want a modern take on the later Broncos just buy a super cab short bed F-150 and throw a camper shell on it. Literally 90% the same thing.

Last edited:

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never said I want something super retro. I want something similar to a JL wrangler but instead of Chrysler parts, Ford. Is a JL or mustang overly retro? No. They definitely have design elements of the earlier vehicles but I don’t want a PT Cruiser.

As far as those who “have the means” to buy a Bronco... I don’t see anybody picking up 1995 Broncos for insane prices the same way the first gen Broncos are going for. If you want a modern take on the later Broncos just buy a super cab short bed F-150 and throw a camper shell on it. Literally 90% the same thing.
If they would put a power rear window in the thing ….. I WOULD :rockon:

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly what I’m looking for. Not a carbon-copy Raptor, but based on similar design language (more squared off, aggressive looking headlights, taller grille, rectangular taillights, the style line on the front windows, etc.)
Hey finally something we can agree on. I love the front end of the new Raptor. I think the ideal Bronco front end would look similar to the Raptors front end. As much as I do like round headlights for a vehicle like this, I think a Raptor aggressive looking front end would be the best look for it. I still want it boxy though and the rest of it looking like the rendering on here.

This is why it's so fun to even think about Ford making a full-size Raptor looking Bronco after seeing that odd short wheelbase Raptor mule. It's a massive long shot but man that would be amazing and satisfy everyones needs for their ideal Bronco.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Read again; I'm addressing those in the market for the NEW bronco AND that have the means to actually get one. There are plenty of people out there bitching that "IT NEEDS TO LOOK LIKE THE CLASSIC" but wouldn't even be able to or want to buy one if they did.

also, last time I checked, putting a cab on an F150 doesn't remove the roof, the doors, or allow my dog to sit in the trunk while allowing my kids to pet him whenever they want.
If they would put a power rear window in the thing ….. I WOULD :rockon:
YES, I need this on the Bronco!

Hey finally something we can agree on. I love the front end of the new Raptor. I think the ideal Bronco front end would look similar to the Raptors front end. As much as I do like round headlights for a vehicle like this, I think a Raptor aggressive looking front end would be the best look for it. I still want it boxy though and the rest of it looking like the rendering on here.

This is why it's so fun to even think about Ford making a full-size Raptor looking Bronco after seeing that odd short wheelbase Raptor mule. It's a massive long shot but man that would be amazing and satisfy everyones needs for their ideal Bronco.
Yep, this is exactly what I'm saying. I like most of the Bronco rendering on this site, but the front end kills it for me... it makes it look like it's trying too hard to be a first gen. If they went with something similar to this render but went with more of a Raptor-esque front end with squared off headlights and the taller grille (speaking of the grille, also replacing "FORD" with "BRONCO" or doing more of the F150 Limited style grille with an off-center bucking bronco logo), I think it'd really complete the look

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This logic is SEVERELY flawed. The ONLY bronco that didn’t have design based on the F150 was the 1st generation. EVERY Bronco after that was modeled after the F150. So, with your logic, you could say that F150-based broncos were around longer than the first gen, so making it look like a first gen would mean it wouldn’t sell at all
Pretty heavy denial there bud. I'm sticking with my statements. If you don't want to follow the money
(which is based on unique features, size, and looks), look at all the EB sitings in music videos and movies as of late (those are based ONLY on looks and coolness!!!).

Things are all over the place and Ford should make note of that. They should cash in on that while they can, then move up from an S197 type, to an S550 type move in 3-4 years. I'm not saying make it so retro, it looks old. But there has been a couple very decent concepts thrown around on this board. It can be modern without completely eliminating it's roots.

I don't see the point of making the styling like ANYTHING they currently have (IE, F150). It has to be unique, or you will never get the jeep type following.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty heavy denial there bud. I'm sticking with my statements. If you don't want to follow the money
(which is based on unique featrues, size, and looks), look at all the EB sitings in music videos and movies as of late.

Things are all over the place and Ford should make note of that. They should cash in on that while they can, then move
up from an S197 type, to an S550 type move in 3-4 years.

I don't see the point of making the styling like ANYTHING they currently have. It has to be unique, or
you will never get the jeep type following.
No denial at all, The first gen is the only bronco ever that was NOT styled after the F150, and from all the information I can find, the refresh in 1978 to closer resemble the F150 seriously ramped up sales. Classic broncos in movies and music videos has absolutely nothing to do with modern car sales... I reiterate, if they want a classic bronco, THEY'LL GET A CLASSIC BRONCO. Otherwise, they would've found a way to get the 04 Concept in the video. Using the S197 philosophy on this truck would be an absolute trainwreck. Mustang sales were stagnant towards the end of S197 production, and jumped significantly when the S550 came out. You know why? It's because RETRO ISN'T COOL ANYMORE. The only people who want retro are dying... which is also why the Corvette is finally going mid-engine

I close by saying; Different isn't always cool or good. The Aztec was plenty unique, and definitely stuck out. same goes for the Nissan Juke

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Read again; I'm addressing those in the market for the NEW bronco AND that have the means to actually get one. There are plenty of people out there bitching that "IT NEEDS TO LOOK LIKE THE CLASSIC" but wouldn't even be able to or want to buy one if they did.
I’m genuinely curious how you know the financial status of those who are interested in a new Bronco, and how you know that they want a full size bronco and not something inspired by the first gen bronco? Seems to me like the people with money are buying the first gens.

Either way, the full size Bronco isn’t happening. It’s ranger based, it’s going to be inspired by the first gen, and it’s going to be amazing. Might want to start looking for a clean FSB.

If you want even more proof, here’s the ONE picture from Ford of the new Bronco overlaid on a first gen. Pretty darn close right?
khMwhKf.png

Last edited:

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m genuinely curious how you know the financial status of those who are interested in a new Bronco, and how you know that they want a full size bronco and not something inspired by the first gen bronco? Seems to me like the people with money are buying the first gens.

Either way, the full size Bronco isn’t happening. It’s ranger based, it’s going to be inspired by the first gen, and it’s going to be amazing. Might want to start looking for a clean FSB.

If you want even more proof, here’s the ONE picture from Ford of the new Bronco overlaid on a first gen. Pretty darn close right?
khMwhKf.png
Go back and reread... it seems you skimmed and picked what you wanted to reply to while missing information pertinent to the conversation.

We aren't talking about dimensions here, we're talking about styling. Also, who are you to say that a FSB won't happen, especially when a potential FSB mule recently spotted?

Skifryan

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

khMwhKf.png
Agreed, I’m not sure why Jake is even looking at the Bronco anymore with what we already know about it. Everything we know points to it being a first-gen inspired midsize SUV. The shape, the leaked design info from the dealer meeting. All first-gen Bronco. I think literally everyone waiting for the Bronco wants this. I’ve never heard anyone who wants it to be an F150 with backseats and an open trunk. Just buy an Expedition or something.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Go back and reread... it seems you skimmed and picked what you wanted to reply to while missing information pertinent to the conversation.

We aren't talking about dimensions here, we're talking about styling. Also, who are you to say that a FSB won't happen, especially when a potential FSB mule recently spotted?
Well you said you like the F-150 Bronco renders... that implies being F-150 sized.

As far as the mule that you’re talking about that is for the F-150, I have confirmed that with a source with Ford.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed, I’m not sure why Jake is even looking at the Bronco anymore with what we already know about it. Everything we know points to it being a first-gen inspired midsize SUV. The shape, the leaked design info from the dealer meeting. All first-gen Bronco. I think literally everyone waiting for the Bronco wants this. I’ve never heard anyone who wants it to be an F150 with backseats and an open trunk. Just buy an Expedition or something.
An expedition doesn't have nearly as much ground clearance, doesn't have removable top or doors, and is in a completely different price bracket than what I'm looking to spend. If anything, I'd just buy a Ranger instead, but I'd much rather have a Bronco (but not some ugly 04 Concept type Bronco)

Well you said you like the F-150 Bronco renders... that implies being F-150 sized.

As far as the mule that you’re talking about that is for the F-150, I have confirmed that with a source with Ford.
Not really, it implies F150-based styling, just like I said. In fact, YOU are the one who first mentioned F150 Bronco renders. It's possible to use F150 styling cues on a ranger-based platform

And everyone and their mom has a "source". A "source" is who created the bullshit rumor about a 4 door, all electric, tesla-beating Mustang sedan. A "source" told me Ford's new color debuting on the Ecosport next year is called "Unicorn Fart Fuchsia"

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No denial at all, The first gen is the only bronco ever that was NOT styled after the F150, and from all the information I can find, the refresh in 1978 to closer resemble the F150 seriously ramped up sales. Classic broncos in movies and music videos has absolutely nothing to do with modern car sales... I reiterate, if they want a classic bronco, THEY'LL GET A CLASSIC BRONCO. Otherwise, they would've found a way to get the 04 Concept in the video. Using the S197 philosophy on this truck would be an absolute trainwreck. Mustang sales were stagnant towards the end of S197 production, and jumped significantly when the S550 came out. You know why? It's because RETRO ISN'T COOL ANYMORE. The only people who want retro are dying... which is also why the Corvette is finally going mid-engine

I close by saying; Different isn't always cool or good. The Aztec was plenty unique, and definitely stuck out. same goes for the Nissan Juke
It's the desirability of that look that I don't understand why you are discounting, but the rest of the
US, at least, LOVES it, and will buy it up like crazy. Want another data Point., Look at classicbroncos.com and FSB.com.
62 new posts so far on classic (today), 18 on FSB and FSB covers almost 20 years. 78/79 is my favorite bronco ever,
(they ride much better and I think they look better than classics), but I realize how desired the classic bronco's are and
much of it is the looks (wether you like it or not doesn't matter much) .

78, Ford only had one SUV, so of course after 11 years, and with more utility and options, it was
going to sell better. That scenerio has nothing to do with today.

And S197 was also essentially 9 years old and you ignore Ford finally going to a mdoern IRS and
selling a factory RHD for many parts of the world (2017/2018 sold less than 2014, BTW).

AUcruiser100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V coupe 6M, 2003 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bitches about retro styling....owned a 2005 Mustang.