Sponsored

As follow up to the buyer's remorse post - Anybody's wife/husband balking at you getting your Bronco as delivery approaches?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife was all onboard and even gave me a nudge to get me to order - now she's waffling a bit as delivery approaches due to the $$.
Well, first question, is this a toy or a daily driver?

If it's a toy, well, yes, it's an expensive toy. My first question is how much is she contributing to the purchase of the toy?

If it's a daily driver? My question would be how many hours will you be spending in it and what's the cost per hour of having it versus something that will leave you unhappy, resentful, or otherwise dissatisfied?

I have the money to pay cash - her argument is that we can use it for something else.
Key statement: "I have the money to pay cash" as opposed to "we have the money to pay cash". What you are saying here is that the money is yours and any weight in the decision that you are allowing her is purely discretionary.

Of course you could use the money for something else, but what would she want to put that money towards? If she doesn't have something more important or a "better" way of utilizing the money, then it's really all academic. If she has a valid concern, discuss it, otherwise she's arguing hypothetical nonsense that has more to do with her desire to control things than it does with any rational concern.

I realize she's going through the process that a lot go through when big financial decisions need to be made and I appreciate it. Ultimately it's my decision and she says so, but would like to have her buy-in .
Without knowing what her rationale is for balking, it's hard to provide any useful advice other than to discuss what her reservations are and then to determine whether the arguments are emotional or rational. The key is to understand her reservations first and then to consider the merits of her reservations.
Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah, marriage is just one of those things where I refuse to be miserable just to make my wife happy. If I want something and have the means to get it, you bet your ass I'm going to get it.

I supported her $65k Grand Cherokee L, she can support my $55k Bronco.
And she supports nightvision and thermal optics. Lol! Nice to see a fellow Arfcommer here.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Supports?

Shit she bought her own NVGs too lol
I didn't see your earlier post about nighvision until after I'd posted. I just recognized the screen name. My nightvision and thermal hasn't been out since the week I purchased them. Definitely under 30 minutes on each over a year later. Lol!

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife was originally 100% against me getting a bronco. Both cost and new car syndrome. (We have always bought used) but it appears my growing excitement has become infectious.

Sponsored

Lonescout

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We got a temp bronco until our order comes in and my wife won’t hardly drive her van any more unless she has to, per seat belt count. Drives it every day and I only drive it once a week. Share it or get her in a test drive…

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife was all onboard and even gave me a nudge to get me to order - now she's waffling a bit as delivery approaches due to the $$. I have the money to pay cash - her argument is that we can use it for something else. I realize she's going through the process that a lot go through when big financial decisions need to be made and I appreciate it. Ultimately it's my decision and she says so, but would like to have her buy-in .
Nah.

But we don't have the type of relationship that I hear described by a lot of married couples these days. "Permission", "Allowing", etc. We are 100% supportive of each other's happiness. We both have good heads on our shoulders and do not buy things beyond our means as we both understand the significance that financial health has on your happiness. So when one of us goes to the other one and says, "I really want 'X'..." it is always met with matched excitement, and we plan how to make that thing happen, even if it means making sacrifices elsewhere. I told her I reserved a Bronco on 7/14/20, and she was over the moon happy for me. I haven't heard one single word of negativity or concern out of her mouth. Only positivity.

Likewise, a couple of weeks ago she came to me and said, "I want to go to Colorado real bad. Like a lot." I could see the excitement written all over her face. We leave in 8 weeks... in the Bronco!

dScott

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Genesis G80
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is actually the first vehicle I've gotten in a while that my wife has been excited about - my last few cars were all sports cars (challenger, genisis coupe, stinger) which she has no interest in, but the Bronco she's already asked if she could take it sometimes

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wife and I discussed all the pros and cons of this purchase in depth. We came to the mutual conclusion that the Bronco was totally unnecessary, and expensive for what it is. So here we are, 4 months into owning it, and we’re having a blast in it.

It’s okay to make stupid decisions, as long as you do them together😉

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah, marriage is just one of those things where I refuse to be miserable just to make my wife happy. If I want something and have the means to get it, you bet your ass I'm going to get it.

I supported her $65k Grand Cherokee L, she can support my $55k Bronco.
Me and my wife have our own money, we agreed as long as the bills get paid neither even asks what the other makes. My money is my money her money is hers.

Sponsored

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not sure if the fact I ordered a Model 3 while we were waiting and that would cost substantially more than the Bronco did (and she did doesn't want a Tesla)....

But I'm the one that actually waffled. In fact, I said f*ck it when mine hit Ice Mountain and declared that I was done with it. I bought a Honda CRV Hybrid to replace my 2014 Forester that I got a stupid amount of money for and then ordered the Tesla.

My wife started pushing the Bronco. Saying that's what I have always wanted and I've been talking about it. She really is the one that made the final kick down the back stretch and got it over the line.

I'm damn thankful for her. Riding around this past weekend in low 80 degree weather she proclaimed, "I really love the Bronco".
You are better off with the bronco than a tesla, I have clients that work for tesla whose only just is to cut into the frame to find bolts that weren't put on properly and fell into the frame. None of them will drive a tesla

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are better off with the bronco than a tesla, I have clients that work for tesla whose only just is to cut into the frame to find bolts that weren't put on properly and fell into the frame. None of them will drive a tesla
I love my Bronco. Teslas are nice too. We can like both!

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love my Bronco. Teslas are nice too. We can like both!
Yeah im sure if there was anyone I knew that built ford's or any other car I would hear similar stories, and everyone definitely has their own likes
Sponsored