Sponsored

As much as it pains me to write this, I think that I have finally been pushed too far...

CarStory

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW GTI, Subaru STI, Toyota Yaris HB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would 100% go with the Defender if I was spending $64k+. The Bronco interior is not worth that. I limit myself to $50k on the Bronco and the interior is still not worth that. Lol
I took a test drive in both a new Bronco and Defender. You are 100% correct. Anything past 60k is crazy for any Bronco.
Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A stock Defender is going to suffer a tire puncture if you look at a cement parking barrier or 90Ā° curb wrong, evidenced TFLs misadventures.
Everyone knows LR/RR sells specifically to tall, hot Ukrainian women who are married or involved with shady underworld types anyways...
They were using a stock defender on low profile tires lol. Nobody with half a brain is going to try and go rock crawling on low profile tires. The Land Roger audience willing to plunk down 65K+ isnā€™t going rock crawling anyways.

Last edited:

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They were using a stock defender on low profile tires lol. Nobody with half a brain is going to try and go rock crawling on low profile tires. The Land Roger audience willing to plunk down 65K+ isnā€™t you BFF rock crawling anyways.
IIRC - It had the offroad package, the 6 cylinder, and the smallest tire package available in that combination was 19". The one they were provided had 20". The dealer could have spec'd different wheels if they wished.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This would be my first ever Ford vehicle and.........what an experience.
Same for me. I'm this |---| close to saying "Screw you Ford" and walk away, but the only other vehicle on the market right now that catches my eye is......the new Ford Maverick. ā˜¹

(Yeah, I know, totally different vehicle from the Bronco, but 29 mpg highway and could tow a small boat or camper, and at $36k almost fully-loaded...)

It's a shame the Japanese don't have anything truly compelling on the market right now.

OP
OP
jwhitecarolina

jwhitecarolina

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently: Mercedes Benz G550.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same for me. I'm this |---| close to saying "Screw you Ford" and walk away, but the only other vehicle on the market right now that catches my eye is......the new Ford Maverick. ā˜¹

(Yeah, I know, totally different vehicle from the Bronco, but 29 mpg highway and could tow a small boat or camper, and at $36k almost fully-loaded...)

It's a shame the Japanese don't have anything truly compelling on the market right now.
Seems to me if Toyota came back with a modern day version of the FJ Landcruiser with removable or soft top (not like the one they did in the 90s), it would be a smash hit. I've not heard of any plans for it though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jwhitecarolina

jwhitecarolina

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems to me if Toyota came back with a modern day version of the FJ Landcruiser with removable or soft top (not like the one they did in the 90s), it would be a smash hit. I've not heard of any plans for it though.
Sorry, just looked it up. That vehicle was in production 2007 - 2014.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IIRC - It had the offroad package, the 6 cylinder, and the smallest tire package available in that combination was 19". The one they were provided had 20". The dealer could have spec'd different wheels if they wished.
The one they popped two tires on is the second one they got. No offroad package on that one because it doesn't have the rear locker, only the center locker (if I remember correctly).

19 inch wheels would only give you another .5 inches of sidewall in the factory spec size anyway. Doubt that would make a difference, and 19s are the smallest you can put on a Defender with the 6 cylinder engine without swapping the rear brakes. 18s won't clear the calipers.

Also, they shouldn't have aired down as low as they did on those 20s in my opinion and then they certainly shouldn't have tried the exact same thing after shredding one tire, lol.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That wasnā€™t off road lol, that was rock crawling. The defender is made for dirt roads and mild terrain with those tires. Anyone seriously wanting to wheel that thing would lift it and run 33-35ā€™s. The defender is a posh, poser offroader and it looks great doing it.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That wasnā€™t off road lol, that was rock crawling. The defender is made for dirt roads and mild terrain with those tires. Anyone seriously wanting to wheel that thing would lift it and run 33-35ā€™s. The defender is a posh, poser offroader and it looks great doing it.
I totally agree!
See my post #74 on page 5.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks FANTASTIC!
I originally started this journey for a new off roader in August 2019 with plans to get a new Defender 90, as I currently own a 99 Disco.

However, the Bronco got on my radar in early 2020 and the thought of taking off the top and proudly driving a Ford after years of that Disco and BMWs......

Well, in the end, it's a Ford man, so this means you have to deal with, well..... Ford. There are indeed some positives here, but there's a ton of bad as well, as in the fact that it has never been an efficient company. At least Ford hasn't been efficient since the late 60's; since then it's been hit or miss all over. I'd hope that everyone here has realized who we're working with, but perhaps not all at the same level of knowledge of what this company is.

The launch has been a dumpster fire, but I'd argue that all Ford launches are dumpster fires, with many ongoing as such.

Then there's Land Rover...... Not exactly what I'd call a godsend. They are equally inefficient and the new Defender is a mall crawler, hipster who likes to go hike, but nothing over 2 miles and nothing uphill and don't even bring up climbing a mountain. He's a fancy IPA guy, even on game day and doesn't do dive bars at all. He's also married, and even when in Vegas on a guy trip, still won't even play wing man just for fun. What a ........! šŸ˜’

Keeping with my "bro" analogy, Bronco is just like that dude. Who? Who knows, who cares? But it's that dude who may not totally have his life together, nor is great at relationships, but he's fun, he drinks, he climbs mountains on the weekends and is always down to do whatever the fu@k, but he's always late and forgets some of his gear, and he'll go in the cooler and drink your beer, but he's holding some grass, so he gets a pass.

Those reading this far get my point here? Comes down to which "bro" do you really want to hang out with?

There's your answer. ;)

Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The local dealer has a couple so I stopped for a sit in them. Worst thing is the front winshield. It's just too short and the frame blocks much of the view, perhaps more than Wrangler. The overall interior is just OK. The outside is boxy, more than Wrangler and on the trail or mall parking lot it has more exposed body than Wrangler. I do like the Bronco but there is just no "WOW" over it. Power is only adequate, rear seat does not fold flat at all, front visibility is really not good, fuel tank is a little small, the spare tire will probably kill the tailgate. Who knows what it's like to service one. That MIC roof is just not getting it for me. But,,,congrats to all that got one and love it. I guess I am expecting too much for $60K+. Maybe when there are more out there and they are just great. The trans and gears should be great. For a sure thing the 4Runner is there fully loaded at $52K about. I like the D90 but not the baggage it comes with. The Ranger needs the 2.7 turbo or bigger but might be a good dirt roader. Oh well, it's all 1st world problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwhitecarolina

jwhitecarolina

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I originally started this journey for a new off roader in August 2019 with plans to get a new Defender 90, as I currently own a 99 Disco.

However, the Bronco got on my radar in early 2020 and the thought of taking off the top and proudly driving a Ford after years of that Disco and BMWs......

Well, in the end, it's a Ford man, so this means you have to deal with, well..... Ford. There are indeed some positives here, but there's a ton of bad as well, as in the fact that it has never been an efficient company. At least Ford hasn't been efficient since the late 60's; since then it's been hit or miss all over. I'd hope that everyone here has realized who we're working with, but perhaps not all at the same level of knowledge of what this company is.

The launch has been a dumpster fire, but I'd argue that all Ford launches are dumpster fires, with many ongoing as such.

Then there's Land Rover...... Not exactly what I'd call a godsend. They are equally inefficient and the new Defender is a mall crawler, hipster who likes to go hike, but nothing over 2 miles and nothing uphill and don't even bring up climbing a mountain. He's a fancy IPA guy, even on game day and doesn't do dive bars at all. He's also married, and even when in Vegas on a guy trip, still won't even play wing man just for fun. What a ........! šŸ˜’

Keeping with my "bro" analogy, Bronco is just like that dude. Who? Who knows, who cares? But it's that dude who may not totally have his life together, nor is great at relationships, but he's fun, he drinks, he climbs mountains on the weekends and is always down to do whatever the fu@k, but he's always late and forgets some of his gear, and he'll go in the cooler and drink your beer, but he's holding some grass, so he gets a pass.

Those reading this far get my point here? Comes down to which "bro" do you really want to hang out with?

There's your answer. ;)
Shit man! You win the internet today! Great take.

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

pick another color. Wait like the rest of us. Read the boastful articles and feel like the world is getting their Bronco before you as if you were singled out by the spirit of Henry F himself for some unknown reason. Maybe its a test to see if you are as tough as the Bronco.

OP
OP
jwhitecarolina

jwhitecarolina

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
pick another color. Wait like the rest of us. Read the boastful articles and feel like the world is getting their Bronco before you as if you were singled out by the spirit of Henry F himself for some unknown reason. Maybe its a test to see if you are as tough as the Bronco.
I don't give two shits if "the world is getting their bronco before me"... I couldn't care less. BUT, I do expect a much higher level of performance out of any company with whom I am spending significant money.
Sponsored