Sponsored

As we enter month 24 since reserving, I find myself staring at Jeeps...

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...today I rejoined TREAD LIGHTLY to get the old 1% below invoice on a Wrangler

...I talked to a JL owner about likes/dislikes,

...and Jeep just updated their "Build and Price" with info on the 2023 Wrangler.

I've TRIED to be strong, but my 7/14/20 reservation for a 2 door, 7MT, high Sasquatch might not survive the next couple weeks of waiting for a VIN...
Sponsored

bran134

Badlands
First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS 300 F Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer just called today confirming I finally have a VIN assigned for my 2 door Badlands with lux. 8/8 build week. Reservation was from 7/23/20. Hope you get yours soon!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Jeeps are nice.. I constantly struggle with just keeping mine and swearing off Ford.

Just took my 4 door Rubicon (stock) on a 2,000 mile road trip and it drove beautiful. People that do all that complaining about how they drive either don't know how to drive a solid axle, or they have modified it so bad they screwed up the handling (which isn't jeeps fault)

I can drive mine with 2 fingers..go over bumps in the road with my hands off the wheel and no-issues.

The reason I still want a bronco boils down to just a few things...

1) i have an invoice deal (and price protection) which is hard to get and prices are only going up.

2) lifting my Rubicon to put on 35s opens a can of worms, where my Sasquatch is good to go.

3) Bronco has more creature comforts (minus rear cup holders and rear seat AC) and I'm getting the 360 camera for better trail spotting.

Although, my Jeep has a solid infotainment system, gets 19+ mpg, doesn't leak a drop from the very solid hard top, and has a sound system that puts the Bronco to shame...not to mention more mods/accessories than you can count at much cheaper prices.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeeps are nice.. I constantly struggle with just keeping mine and swearing off Ford.

Just took my 4 door Rubicon (stock) on a 2,000 mile road trip and it drove beautiful. People that do all that complaining about how they drive either don't know how to drive a solid axle, or they have modified it so bad they screwed up the handling (which isn't jeeps fault)

I can drive mine with 2 fingers..go over bumps in the road with my hands off the wheel and no-issues.

1) i have an invoice deal (and price protection) which is hard to get and prices are only going up.

2) lifting my Rubicon to put on 35s opens a can of worms, where my Sasquatch is good to go.

3) Bronco has more creature comforts (minus rear cup holders and rear seat AC) and I'm getting the 360 camera for better trail spotting.

Although, my Jeep has a solid infotainment system, gets 19+ mpg, doesn't leak a drop from the very solid hard top, and has a sound system that puts the Bronco to shame...not to mention more mods/accessories than you can count at much cheaper prices.
My wife has a jlur
I was thinking on swapping the Sasquatch tires onto her Jeep (if I ever get it), but is it that crazy/difficult to do?

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the same boat, I had a JK, bought a JL last November. The JL is a marked improvement over the JK in terms of ride and just overall feel. I don't get the whole steering/meandering thing that everyone complains about. My reasoning for still keeping/possibly accepting my Bronco once it finally arrives comes down to the same sorts of things, but I'm still debating:

1. MGV/Vinyl - I added Armorlite to my JL, but having it built in is a major plus to me (I'm in sand/salt with gear all of the time).

2. Sasquatch - same deal

3. Bronco is probably more comfortable for long road trips.

Downsides - I can throw a steel bumper and winch on a JL pretty easily. The JL I got 8% below invoice (I have $500 under invoice pricing locked on the Bronco) and no issues with hard top, etc. on the JL.

I still go back and forth, I'm not a hardcore rock crawler, etc. mostly just trails to get to hiking, beach/sand in FL, and moderate trails, a lot of which have mud (I"m on the coast).

Sponsored

JohnG

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr Basesquatch, 2022 2 dr Base 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought a new gladiator rubicon last year, drove it for 5k miles, then traded it in for my tundra which I still have, along with my 2.7 sasquatch 4 dr. Iā€™ve put over 6k miles on the bronco. For sure the wandering is a thing, anyone who says itā€™s not is in denial or doesnā€˜t care. It bothered me for a daily driver. Beyond that though, it was an incredible vehicle. I will buy a wrangler at some point, but the bronco really is a better driver if youā€™re putting on the miles or if you get annoyed at a little wandering. The constant correcting got old real fast. I wished it didnā€™t, the Jeep was superior in many other ways.

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™ve had a few Jeeps. Solid choice. But I have wanted a Bronco for a long time. Despite Jeep being a Ford creation, I will stick with the Bronco.
I would check with your dealer and the Ford. I know some folks had a long long wait, but I will have waited 6 months from order to till scheduled build date.

youā€™ve come this far, why give up now?

OP
OP
patientB

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer has been quite transparent - I can't fault them in the least.

Ford shows my status unchanging for many, many moons.

Ford's customer line encourages me to contact my dealer.

July 14th 2022 will mark two years...730 days since I put down a deposit to get my name on the reservation list. 1:04 AM in the morning of 7/14/2020.

A week after that two year anniversary, July 21, 2022, Ford will do another round of scheduling, as they typically schedule on the third Thursday of the month.

If at that point I do not have a VIN, I will place an order for a 2023 Jeep Rubicon. At that point, the race will be on, and whichever manufacturer delivers a vehicle to me first will be the winner.

Good times!
Ford Bronco As we enter month 24 since reserving, I find myself staring at Jeeps... Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 8.36.48 PM

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife has a jlur
I was thinking on swapping the Sasquatch tires onto her Jeep (if I ever get it), but is it that crazy/difficult to do?
Generally speaking, you can put 35s on a Rubi with no mods (possibly wheel spacers if factory rims but unsure)..as long as you drive on pavement. Once you go off road and start flexing, they will rub...

Which means you then need a small (2") lift. Of course lifting the Jeep from factory specs causes 4 main issues...

1) the front axle moves more towards the back of the jeep, it also moves more to the side (off center) and it changes the caster.. most of this can be fixed with adjustable arms, but it can get costly.

2) The factory front driveline is built to last. But once you lift the front, it puts the joints at a steeper angle than they can do for a long time ( strongly depends on how much of an actual lift you end up with). The solution is a significant retrofit and a $400 axle

3) the front drive line can now hit the exhaust pipe. So there are fixes for that but a bit funky with exhaust spacers to drop the exhaust lower to clear the axle...now if you included the aftermarket front axle to help with issue #2, spacer may not be needed. Also the rear axle can flex enough with a lift to hit the evap canister so a relocation kit may be in order.

4) Depending on where you live, 35s may require re-gearing to 4.56 at a min. So toss in a couple grand for that.

Sounds like alot but jeep people do it all the time. If it is done with good parts, you shouldn't have any steering issues. However, slapping 35s on a jeep, will cost you like 5k+ on top of the actual tires :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For sure the wandering is a thing, anyone who says itā€™s not is in denial or doesnā€˜t care.

I say its not.. i have no wondering at all (beyond slight corrections that everyone has to make in every vehicle on the road)

For example, Just did that trip, almost 2k miles at 70+ mph and can take my hands off the wheel even while going over bumps.

Problem isnt the vehicle (assuming the owner didnt mess it up with all the mods), it's the driver.

As a bike rider it becomes very clear. Motorcycles like Jeeps want to be stable...physics dictates it. A jeeps caster and its steering component angles is what makes the jeep want to go straight.

What causes it to not go straight are drivers/riders that are not relaxed and are trying to stiff arm and muscle how the vehicle reacts onstead of letting the vehicle and suspension do what it was designed to do.

Somewhat related is a saying my instructor used to say about performance riding on a bike...the worse thing you can do to a motorcycles handling is put a rider on it. Same goes for a jeep. If all things spec'd out correctly on a jeep, the issue is the driver.

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Or the steering is midajusted from the factory, and with what Jeep thinks is Quality Control that happens more then you'd think. I test drove two nearly identical Gladiators. One tracked and drove like you'd expect. The other was a jittery mess constantly requiring input to track straight.

Luckily it's a simple fix, but too many people write it off as a "Jeep thing" and think it's normal. Because any issue with a Jeep is just a "Jeep thing" if you're deep enough in the Cult o' Jeep.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am sorry that you and others have waited so long! My wait was 14 months and, at times, I thought about buying something else. However, the disappointment with delays and lack of communication is now just a distant memory. It's worth waiting for. I'm not a Jeep-basher, but I prefer the looks of the Bronco, especially the interior. Good luck to you...

OP
OP
patientB

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sorry that you and others have waited so long! My wait was 14 months and, at times, I thought about buying something else. However, the disappointment with delays and lack of communication is now just a distant memory. It's worth waiting for. I'm not a Jeep-basher, but I prefer the looks of the Bronco, especially the interior. Good luck to you...

Thank you! I do really hope Ford comes through. The reality is I'll already be waiting another month to place a Jeep order, and at that point it will be another 3-4 months to get a 2023 delivered, based on current info.

I could cancel or abandon the Jeep order if there is actual movement with my Bronco order in the next 4-5 month. However, if the Jeep is delivered and the Bronco is STILL not scheduled, we'd be talking about a total 28-29 month wait, interest rates will continue to rise, and there's a good possibility Carvana (where I plan to sell my daily) won't be around by year's end, given current market indicators (stock has dropped 90% year to date, layoffs of 12% of staff, etc).

At a certain point, I'll just have to move on. I've given Ford two years to schedule me, and I'm willing to spot them another couple seasons...

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Generally speaking, you can put 35s on a Rubi with no mods (possibly wheel spacers if factory rims but unsure)..as long as you drive on pavement. Once you go off road and start flexing, they will rub...

Which means you then need a small (2") lift. Of course lifting the Jeep from factory specs causes 4 main issues...

1) the front axle moves more towards the back of the jeep, it also moves more to the side (off center) and it changes the caster.. most of this can be fixed with adjustable arms, but it can get costly.

2) The factory front driveline is built to last. But once you lift the front, it puts the joints at a steeper angle than they can do for a long time ( strongly depends on how much of an actual lift you end up with). The solution is a significant retrofit and a $400 axle

3) the front drive line can now hit the exhaust pipe. So there are fixes for that but a bit funky with exhaust spacers to drop the exhaust lower to clear the axle...now if you included the aftermarket front axle to help with issue #2, spacer may not be needed. Also the rear axle can flex enough with a lift to hit the evap canister so a relocation kit may be in order.

4) Depending on where you live, 35s may require re-gearing to 4.56 at a min. So toss in a couple grand for that.

Sounds like alot but jeep people do it all the time. If it is done with good parts, you shouldn't have any steering issues. However, slapping 35s on a jeep, will cost you like 5k+ on top of the actual tires :)
You can get factory 4.88ā€™s for like $800 if you order one
Sponsored