As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar

1. Nickp

Nickp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    Mazda 3
    #1 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    https://www.tflcar.com/2019/06/2021-ford-bronco-information-rumors/

Here is their video as well, the article is pretty poorly written and unclear tbh. Video is much more concise.
    So to sum it up:

-There will be a “Bronco Raptor”

-They are still talking about 5.0 V8 but business case makes it unlikely.

-Current prototypes we’ve seen are codenamed X1 and are powertrain mules only, have both 2.7 V6 and 2.3 I4 engines.

-There are other prototypes called “Rock Monster” that we have yet to see. Nothing else stated about these.

-The Bronco is directly competing with the wrangler is all the source would say about a removable top.

2. Dirty Bronco

Dirty Bronco Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ford Explorer
    WEEKEND CAME EARLY! Thanks Nick!

Nickp likes this.
  3. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    "There is conflicting information, though, about what the “Bronco Maverick” will actually be. It may either be an entry-level trim, complete with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, which a recent leak suggested would be at least one of the powertrains in the new Bronco."

They're referring to the Canadian Tire database listing as the "recent leak". I'm not certain that qualifies as a "leak" unless someone can verify that data as having originated from Ford. If unvetted, that casts a huge level of doubt on the veracity of their reportage.

If the information from their sources is accurate, it bodes very well for enthusiasts. Let's hope they're actually in the know, and releasing information that is accurate and will follow through to production.

4. mikonrad

mikonrad Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 1979 Ford F-150, 2002 Yamaha RS Warrior
    Obviously interesting. Just to manage my expectations, I'm reminding myself the reveal probably still won't be for awhile. :)

One of the commentators mentioned LA as a possibility, which seemed reasonable to me too (SEMA being the other possibility in the same time frame). LA is in November. But he also mentioned Chicago which is Feb 2020 so that's one to keep in the radar too. I would think there's almost no chance that Ford would wait until Detroit (6/2020), right? That seems way too late considering the 2021MY.

Nickp likes this.
  5. Nickp

Nickp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    Mazda 3
    So I asked my buddy at Ford about this and he stated that this article contains accurate information. He had not heard anything about the V8 as the article had suggested. However, he also said that everything the team working on the hardcore off-road version is completely off the grid. Even with as close as he is to the project he still doesn’t exactly know what they’re up to so we’ll just have to wait and see.

6. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    There are a number of things in this article I find questionable. The TFL team does have some auto industry contacts, but they have made plenty of amateur gaffes too ...

Bronco II, BroncoMike and Nickp like this.
  7. Nickp

Nickp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    Mazda 3
    I think it’s mostly just that the article is poorly written. Their video they just released is much better:

Carmaker1 and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  8. Husker

Husker Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    Fingers Crossed, 5.0!

BONESTOCK, Nickp and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  9. BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
    #9 Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Jackpot! This is the kind of news I've been waiting for. Now if we can just get a cherry on top and get a Baja Bronco with a 5.0

"Rock Monster", "Bronco is directly competing with Wrangler". If this is at all true you would have to think solid front axle.

BONESTOCK and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  10. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    We can hope, and I sure am busily hoping. But could a Bronco be competitive with a low-spec Wrangler if they decide to go the IFS route? Maybe somewhat... though probably not against a Rubicon. I would be less anxious if the source had said "Rubicon", eliminating any wiggle room and pinning it down as a no-compromise machine. Generic "Wrangler" leaves some room for argument on capabilities.

Patiently waiting for all my fears to be dismissed (or realized).

Wanted33 and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  11. NMBronco

NMBronco Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1975 Bronco
    Some promising stuff, but there doesn't seem to be much to substantiate it, nor details to really understand what it means. I think the 2.7L news was a bit of a give-me. According to the Carmaker1 thread, he said 2.3L Ecoboost (makes sense given thats the Ranger engine), and a V6. It seemed pretty obvious to me at least that he meant an Ecoboost V6 since a NA V6 would not really be an upgrade from the 2.3L Ecoboost, and would be too similar in terms of performance to be a base engine either. The 2.7L seemed to make the most sense to me seeing as it is already used as a truck engine and can be had with up to 400 FtLbs which just so happens to be the torque rating for the 7 speed Getrag that is rumored.

I had already written off the 5.0L, but it is good to hear that there is some small hope of it making it to production. That would certainly be my engine of choice and fit the heritage of the Bronco the best. It also happens to have a 400 FtLb torque rating in F150 tune which jives with the Getrag torque rating as well.

As for the "rock monster," the fact that they are referring to a mule as such is very promising. I have to believe with a name like that, it has got to have solid axles. Here's to hoping any way.

Wanted33, loubif and Stampede.Offroad like this.
  12. Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    Oh Ford, PLEASE don't make me pay $50k for the Raptor name just to have a 2.7! Just give me a base model with a 2.7 and sync3 and I'll be happy!

Also, a bit discouraging that no information was shared on a manual transmission... at this point, I don't care if they use the 6 speed from the Mustang instead of a fancy 7 speed, just give me a manual!

13. phillyfx4

phillyfx4 Active Member

Yup.....give me the 2.7L V6 and I'll be doing handstands . I need the 4 dr with the longer wheelbase and hopefully gas mileage, I suspect the 2.7 will be the "ticket",

C'mon Ford, take my money :fingerscrossed:

bbostic5 likes this.
  14. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    I would not be surprised if part of the purpose of this "leak" was to prepare people for the upsell price of the 5.0. Ford can obviously see the demand, there are hordes of people calling for the 5.0 in every forum, article and video I've seen.

The idea that they need to build a "business case" for something the public is passionate about is comical. So I'm going to assume the reason for saying such a thing at all is just to prepare expectations for a higher price tag on the option markup, compared to the price on the EPA scamming "eco"boost engines.

Midnight Blue and BroncoMike like this.
  15. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
    Yeap, get your wallets ready, GT500 starts at $70300, want some racing stripes? That’ll be $10K *pictures board room of Ford VPs laughing maniacally*