Sponsored

As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ah. I don't think they will make the mistake of limiting engine options to inline 4 configurations on the new platform. I'm sure that's a huge part of the reason for a new platform instead of just a new top hat.

My thought is that Ford brought the '19 Ranger to the US out of desperation. It wasn't ready for the US market with the lack of engine choices, but they needed to get a placeholder on sales floors before the '21 Ranger (edit: '22?) rolls off the line - the Colorado will be seeing trade-ins from either happy customers, or customers with few other choices before the new Ranger sees the light of day. Brand loyalty is a thing.

I think Ford knows they have to offer a couple of interesting powertrain choices for the platform, but whether a V8 is actually going to fit in that engine bay or not...
Sponsored

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 2.7 is the smallest engine I would buy. I might offer a 2.3 on the lightest, most streetable version.
(with like a 27/28" tire). But if you are going to offer 31's or 32's, and many will add 35's or 36's and kill
aero with racks, bumpers/winches, lights etc..., you are not going ot be happy with economy on an engine in
significant boost 75% of the time. I don't think it is going to be hard to push 5000+ lbs built rigs on even the 2 door.

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After reading the above about the new platform, my money is on the 400hp 3.0. If a V6 turbo is good enough for the Raptor, no V8 will be put into the Bronco. Why would they? They are trying to create an new market for the Bronco like they did with the Raptor. It only comes with a V6. Rumor is the new GT500 SC 5.2 may be an option for the Raptor, but as of now, no V8.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After reading the above about the new platform, my money is on the 400hp 3.0. If a V6 turbo is good enough for the Raptor, no V8 will be put into the Bronco. Why would they? They are trying to create an new market for the Bronco like they did with the Raptor. It only comes with a V6. Rumor is the new GT500 SC 5.2 may be an option for the Raptor, but as of now, no V8.
If there's a "business case" for offering a V8, it's for the nostalgia purchasers who have had a vintage V8 Bronco and only remember it as such. The question being pondered is whether Ford views that demographic as a significant enough percentage of buyers to do all the engineering, testing, and certification to bring it to market. One interesting aspect is that it won't require much in the way of marketing - I forsee many people showing up at the dealership with a blank check simply at the slightest hint of V8 availability.

If I didn't live and spend most of my recreational time at altitude, a naturally-aspirated V8 would be my choice. But unless there is a clear path to a reliable aftermarket supercharger, a V8 would not be a viable choice for me.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My thought on engine availability is 270hp 2.3 as the base engine with the 330hp 2.7 as the next step. Then possibly the 365hp Explorer version of the 3.0 then if there's a Bronco Raptor then the 400hp Explorer ST engine. The next gen Ranger may offer a v8 and if Bronco moves to that platform then Bronco may get a v8.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My thought on engine availability is 270hp 2.3 as the base engine with the 330hp 2.7 as the next step. Then possibly the 365hp Explorer version of the 3.0 then if there's a Bronco Raptor then the 400hp Explorer ST engine. The next gen Ranger may offer a v8 and if Bronco moves to that platform then Bronco may get a v8.
Bronco isn't "moving" to the next gen Ranger platform, it will debut on the new T6 - likely before Ranger ever sees the light of day. If anything, Ranger is being built on the Bronco platform. I know it's semantics, but to be factually accurate, they're both just sharing the new T6 platform.

There's substantially less of a case for the Ranger having a V8 than the Bronco -much the other way around, as I see it. Was Ranger ever even offered with a V8? Are there hordes of vintage V8 Ranger owners clamoring for a V8 in the 2022 Ranger, in the meantime carefully scrutinizing every spy photo and dissecting every Ford press release?

Besides, us Bronco enthusiasts have waited longer than Ranger folks for their fix - hell, they even have a current-year model already! We've waited over two decades, we deserve a V8! :cwl:

But the ST motor would be a real beast in a Bronco. Probably too much fun to get past the risk management attorneys.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do we know this?
It isn't the "T6" necessarily, but a new platform. Multiple reports indicate that there is a new platform being developed that the Bronco will appear on and then a year or two later the Ranger.

If the "5 platform" plans from Ford and the reports of a 'scalable' platform from Australia are true, then the new F150 and Bronco will be on the same platform, followed by the Ranger.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How do we know this?
Unless this source has been discredited. The information provided was unusually detailed, and candid enough that if credible, likely had some level of acknowledgement from corporate (or the reason we haven't heard from him/her again is because s/he's too busy looking for a new job).

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/u725-2021-my-ford-bronco-information.579/

There are a lot of misconceptions and silly false truths regarding the Bronco, let's put those to rest.
  • Program Code: U725
  • Job 1 Date is December 2020
  • 2021 Model Year
  • V6, 2.3L Ecoboost
  • 10-Speed Automatic, Getrag Manual
  • FAA/AA1 was reached several months ago, meaning final exterior design was settled on.
  • FDJ/PA was completed by November 2018, meaning final design was frozen for production and now prod. grade in execution.
  • April 2019 are when the first VP1s come off pilot plan, meaning spy shots are coming by May.
  • Launch date is January 2021, possibly Feb 2021
  • Development began in 2015
  • New T6 basis, being developed in Australia. U725 Bronco top-hat in Dearborn, MI

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... -There are other prototypes called “Rock Monster” that we have yet to see. Nothing else stated about these. ...
It occurred to me while thinking about camouflage seen on some of the mules, that there is a high probability that lots of people have seen the "Rock Monster". This is body-on-frame construction for what is presumably a trail rig -- so Ford could have just taken the new chassis and engine and plopped a beat up old Ranger body on it, and no matter how rough or cobbled together it was, no one would blink or think twice out on the trails because lots of rigs look beat and cobbled together, especially with a bit of dirt on them.

They could have had it parading around in the middle of Easter Jeep Safari in Moab and no one would notice if it looked like a bit of a hack job with an older body and some mismatched parts or 'budget' modifications.

:turkey:

The psychedelic polkadots are for when they want you to notice them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It occurred to me while thinking about camouflage seen on some of the mules, that there is a high probability that lots of people have seen the "Rock Monster". This is body-on-frame construction for what is presumably a trail rig -- so Ford could have just taken the new chassis and engine and plopped a beat up old Ranger body on it, and no matter how rough or cobbled together it was, no one would blink or think twice out on the trails because lots of rigs look beat and cobbled together, especially with a bit of dirt on them.

They could have had it parading around in the middle of Easter Jeep Safari in Moab and no one would notice if it looked like a bit of a hack job with an older body and some mismatched parts or 'budget' modifications.

:turkey:

The psychedelic polkadots are for when they want you to notice them.
I had the same hypothesis that since we know they’re willing to use a Colorado body, they could use a JK/JL body too. I’m sure we’ve seen them in plain sight.

all I know is when all is said and done I’d love to see a behind the scenes look at developing it and keeping it under wraps. They have been insanely good at keeping it a complete secret in plain sight, and leaking info only very very sparingly. I wouldn’t be surprised if all the leaks we’ve seen are orchestrated by Ford to build hype.

DesmoDog

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hiding in plain sight? Could happen, but I doubt it. I recently went through camo training on the P702. I can't believe they'd try that with a Bronco judging by how secretive they're being on the F150. They camo more than the bodywork.

That said, when I worked for victory we had a prototype bike up on the lift and some competitors bikes parked here and there. Some guy walked in and took interest in the prototype, we told him it was a Yamaha we were building a custom out of, and gee, isn't that new Harley over there pretty? Look over there! Shiny things, shiny things! It worked.

Right before the Grand Cherokee came out I had a pre-production development vehicle that was painted white and de-badged. I drove it to the local Jeep dealership and talked to a salesguy while literally leaning up against it. He never even asked what it was. One guy inside the dealership was looking at it funny, but wasn't interested enough to come outside and look. But that wasn't as anticipated as the Bronco is and people didn't all have camera phones back then.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did this program get killed off?

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:
New Bronco has IFS, no one here has ever shied away from that, a quick look at the underside will show that
It would be a massive tear up and redo to fit an [SFA] and a full re-engineer of frontal crash protection zone.

There was a rock crawler oriented model in the works, I'm not sure if Ford will be proceeding with it or not
so in the absence of any internal confirmation, its best to just say no for now and not build up expectations.
Ford Bronco As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar 1581880416691

ETA:

21 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

As I qualified above, that was a rumor, lots of things get scoped as potential models and customers
but without actually knowing to what degree, it would be completely wrong to add to people's fantasies.
Ford Bronco As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar 1581882239916

Unfortunately there are still a bunch of people who believe that rumor, and Ford isn't exactly trying to dissuade them from the idea that some 'Rock Monster' Bronco will be a rock crawling capable Wrangler competitor.

In many ways false rumors benefit Ford.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did this program get killed off?

Ford Bronco As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar 1581882239916

ETA:

Unfortunately there are still a bunch of people who believe that rumor, and Ford isn't exactly trying to dissuade them from the idea that some 'Rock Monster' Bronco will be a rock crawling capable Wrangler competitor.

In many ways false rumors benefit Ford.

Maybe Crispy could enlighten us to anything he knows. :wink:
Sponsored