Sponsored

As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://www.tflcar.com/2019/06/2021-ford-bronco-information-rumors/

Here is their video as well, the article is pretty poorly written and unclear tbh. Video is much more concise.
So to sum it up:

-There will be a “Bronco Raptor”

-They are still talking about 5.0 V8 but business case makes it unlikely.

-Current prototypes we’ve seen are codenamed X1 and are powertrain mules only, have both 2.7 V6 and 2.3 I4 engines.

-There are other prototypes called “Rock Monster” that we have yet to see. Nothing else stated about these.

-The Bronco is directly competing with the wrangler is all the source would say about a removable top.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"There is conflicting information, though, about what the “Bronco Maverick” will actually be. It may either be an entry-level trim, complete with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, which a recent leak suggested would be at least one of the powertrains in the new Bronco."

They're referring to the Canadian Tire database listing as the "recent leak". I'm not certain that qualifies as a "leak" unless someone can verify that data as having originated from Ford. If unvetted, that casts a huge level of doubt on the veracity of their reportage.

If the information from their sources is accurate, it bodes very well for enthusiasts. Let's hope they're actually in the know, and releasing information that is accurate and will follow through to production.

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously interesting. Just to manage my expectations, I'm reminding myself the reveal probably still won't be for awhile. :)

One of the commentators mentioned LA as a possibility, which seemed reasonable to me too (SEMA being the other possibility in the same time frame). LA is in November. But he also mentioned Chicago which is Feb 2020 so that's one to keep in the radar too. I would think there's almost no chance that Ford would wait until Detroit (6/2020), right? That seems way too late considering the 2021MY.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I asked my buddy at Ford about this and he stated that this article contains accurate information. He had not heard anything about the V8 as the article had suggested. However, he also said that everything the team working on the hardcore off-road version is completely off the grid. Even with as close as he is to the project he still doesn’t exactly know what they’re up to so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a number of things in this article I find questionable. The TFL team does have some auto industry contacts, but they have made plenty of amateur gaffes too ...

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are a number of things in this article I find questionable. The TFL team does have some auto industry contacts, but they have made plenty of amateur gaffes too ...
I think it’s mostly just that the article is poorly written. Their video they just released is much better:

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jackpot! This is the kind of news I've been waiting for. Now if we can just get a cherry on top and get a Baja Bronco with a 5.0

"Rock Monster", "Bronco is directly competing with Wrangler". If this is at all true you would have to think solid front axle.

Last edited:

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We can hope, and I sure am busily hoping. But could a Bronco be competitive with a low-spec Wrangler if they decide to go the IFS route? Maybe somewhat... though probably not against a Rubicon. I would be less anxious if the source had said "Rubicon", eliminating any wiggle room and pinning it down as a no-compromise machine. Generic "Wrangler" leaves some room for argument on capabilities.

Patiently waiting for all my fears to be dismissed (or realized).

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh Ford, PLEASE don't make me pay $50k for the Raptor name just to have a 2.7! Just give me a base model with a 2.7 and sync3 and I'll be happy!

Also, a bit discouraging that no information was shared on a manual transmission... at this point, I don't care if they use the 6 speed from the Mustang instead of a fancy 7 speed, just give me a manual!

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup.....give me the 2.7L V6 and I'll be doing handstands . I need the 4 dr with the longer wheelbase and hopefully gas mileage, I suspect the 2.7 will be the "ticket",

C'mon Ford, take my money :fingerscrossed:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would not be surprised if part of the purpose of this "leak" was to prepare people for the upsell price of the 5.0. Ford can obviously see the demand, there are hordes of people calling for the 5.0 in every forum, article and video I've seen.

The idea that they need to build a "business case" for something the public is passionate about is comical. So I'm going to assume the reason for saying such a thing at all is just to prepare expectations for a higher price tag on the option markup, compared to the price on the EPA scamming "eco"boost engines.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the news/speculation of the 2.7 economist and the 5.0 I was curious to see how they stack up. I did a quick search and found the following video from the TFL guys. It’s on the 2019 F150 so obviously the engines could be tweaked differently and the vehicles have different drag coefficients etc etc but nonetheless I found it interesting. Felt you guys might like it as well

Sponsored