Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Basically copying and pasting it from my blog/Nation:

Review here, Don't mind if it's a bit all over the place btw, just tired but promised to get it done: (Also, 10k word limit, so mod plans are in the link)

It's been a long time coming, as mentioned here in last years entry: https://www.mfcomics.net/post/the-longest-entry-pt1.
She's finally here, Ashley the Gypsy! I got a lot to unpack here, and not quite sure where to begin, so bear with me as I might just address this as I see fit.
First of all, she's not a Black Diamond, but a Badlands as more clearly seen below:
(First post dealership picture as well)
Ford Bronco Ashley the Gypsy file

What's different is the bigger and wider tires/rims

(285/17 33's vs 265/17 32's), Front sway Disconnect, Front locker, gearing (4:7 vs 4:46), and most importantly, Navigation and Midpackage with Manual:
(Ambient Lighting and a few other features)

Now of course, you didn't come to read what's different between the trims, you can look it up, you're here for my thoughts and opinions on this beautiful girl.
First of all, why Gypsy? I feel that for what I want to do with her; Travel all across this beautiful country of ours, it'd suit her nature, never really staying in one place for too long, even though she has a home.
Ashley though was the name I used on Ford's website as a place holder, she kind of reminded me of my OC:

So I figured I'd combine the two, although I'll probably use another for the basis, or it's just the natural choice for my OC there.
Now let's get one thing mentioned right off the bat, she's different than what I'm used to! Never deal with wind noise before, and her nature at first was more "Why rush? Let's enjoy ourselves", took me a few days to get situated, although now I am.
She's never gonna corner like a Mustang, but she's no slouch either, and while she won't beat most cars in a race, she can move, especially once I started filling her with Super.

For an extra $6, I get an additional 30hp/15tq, boosting it up to 300/325 instead of 270/310 on regular, definitely worth it in my opinion. Again, 30hp/15tq really makes a difference, felt like an lite ECU tune, woke her up.
Besides that, the "7spd" (6 with a crawler gear for when you need to go slow on the trails) is too easy, basically something to teach friends and family on, and she's very forgiving too, as even pro's and experts accidentally stall, and so long as you just clutch in, restarts. Besides that, clutch reminds me of Don's, and in a good way, much better than a Wranglers where the engagement point's all wonky and I felt like an idiot trying to drive it.
Of course, as mentioned above, on the highway, as I don't have roof liners on my hard top, you'll hear the noise, and ironically, on Thursday, when I took the top off, it was somewhat quieter on the highway:

(Rare selfie of me, don't expect them often)

God it's fun driving with the top off, even if it's just the front panels. Can't wait for mid-late spring/summer when I can go completely topless and remove the doors to boot
(Don't mind the stock image)

Just a matter of whether to get a top lift: https://topliftpros.com/pages/bronco or getting a soft top: https://www.bestop.com/products/trektop-21-22-bronco/
Even with the top on, she's fun, I always have a smile, partially due to the transmission; can't beat rowing gears.

Also might explain the fuel economy, getting 15.3-5avg, but I never lug my and hardly put her in 6th unless it's a complete straight away on a roadtrip (Haven't take one yet), although considering what she is and what's she's got (Offroader shaped like a brick with meaty offroad tires, armor and short gearing), could be worse.

But besides the performance, also love the size, she feels "Me sized", just the right fit, and she's also easy to park as well:

(She's very photogenic imo)

She also gets lots of looks and attention wherever I go, which is something I'm not used to at all, sometimes wondering why people are driving by slow or just staring before I'm like "...Oh right!". Gotta get used to it, also gotta work on being more social, usually the quiet type.

You might have noticed the bullet antenna

and the light pods on the bumper, those are just really two of the mods currently installed, the other two are the front plate delete (I told them not to put it on), and the Auto Start Stop Eliminator, or as it's more commonly referred as, the A.S.S. Plug:

(https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-autostop-eliminator, well worth the cost, and not hard to do if you got the tools and are not afraid of pulling tabs, though all the credit for this one goes to my friend Devin)

Besides that, I've also installed Hood Struts:

(@Redline Tuning )

Haven't gotten around to removing the factory prop rod yet, but figure it's not bothering me, so it'll remain for now.
I'm eventually getting the pods wired, and then hooked up to Auxiliary switch 1, and then comes my favorite part, talking about future mods and goals!

Since my birthday is next sunday, my best friends got me parts for her already; Devin got me the pods seen, and Shaun got me Spare Tire Wheel Ring Light:
(@ORACLE Lighting )

(color shifting)
And to alleviate an issue I have with her, an Ambient lighting kit:

Now for the people who didn't come here from Bronco6g or Nation, they might be double checking the earlier picture to see if it has lighting, and it does... Yet it's ONLY in ice blue, which gets a bit "cold" at times.

Of course, other than the lighting, not in a rush with the mods, just more happy she's finally here. As most Bronco owners can attest to, we've waited all year for this moment, to finally get our babies... There were moments where I had doubts, there were moments I was wondering if I should really stick around, if I would be better off getting something else, though it's like the Universe (or Ford) were watching and listening, as I'd then get emails with updates on my build.

Still can't believe she's here, it's been a long time coming, and it was well worth it! If I had to do it all again... Naw, nothing I'd really change, especially the color, as Rapid Red is discontinued for '22, so those who know know that it's a '21.

This is only the beginning of our journey together, it'll be a month soon, and I already got over 800 miles with her, with plenty more to come. I promise to include updates with more developments, this year just got busy after my last entry, and despite the mod ideas listed, we all know there's gonna be stuff I haven't even thought of that I'll wind up doing with her, not to mention places I'll wind up going.
For now, thanks for taking a look, hope you liked all the pictures and have a great day!

(For the sake of word limits, mod plans are below)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Modding:

I don't really feel I want to add more power necessarily, though I do want to address a few things, like the intercooler down the line: (@Mishimoto)

(https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2021/11/2021-ford-bronco-27l-23l-performance-intercooler-stock-review-design-plans/, basically stock is adequate, but compare that to the upgraded intercooler on the Ranger below, which uses the same engine

And while we're at it, Mishimoto vs Stock charge pipe)

Plan on getting the Oil Catch Can I have installed (https://www.lethalperformance.com/u...-catch-can-black-finish-2021-2-3l-bronco.html, @LethalPerformance ), plus some stickers (https://www.stickerfab.com/collections/2021-ford-bronco?limit=48)

Definitely need to ceramic tint the windows (20% back, 70-90% front for the benefits without it being too noticable)

This Roush CAI speaks to me:
(https://www.lethalperformance.com/r...ir-intake-kit-2021-ford-bronco-2-7l-2-3l.html)

No one has one yet, but instead of a Catback or Axleback, I prefer a catted downpipe as that's where the real gains are, plus like the hint of gasoline as I drive.

All that said, the one area I feel is necessary to address is the lighting, as the trade off for the '21s with the steel bumper is the lack of factory fog lights, though that can be remedied:

(Just a matter of which kit to go with, though all Amber). The stock headlights aren't bad, but used to driving around with fogs, and personally feel it'd improve night driving considerably

and when the time comes, shifter mods (Bushings, short throw, stainless steel clutch line).
______

I know I'm forgetting something here.

More to come, though for now, any questions or comments, feel free to ask

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for that! Very thoughtful mod list.

Rip

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That was a great write up! I was not prepared when I saw Rapid Red in person. It is jaw dropping beautiful! I’ve never seen a picture capture it.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
That was a great write up! I was not prepared when I saw Rapid Red in person. It is jaw dropping beautiful! I’ve never seen a picture capture it.
Ah, thanks, I was a bit worried with it as it wasn’t completely structured, but appreciate that

looking at her now as we speak, dont mind the screen
Ford Bronco Ashley the Gypsy 96CE1ECC-754D-4DF0-BB2D-1EFB8D584FAC

didnt add it there, but as yousee here, my last 3 vehicle’s were part of the colorblind rainbow, so it’s refreshing to have color. Now to find a way to deal with Fords obsession with Blue inside

Thanks for that! Very thoughtful mod list.
Thanks! As seen in the link above, mod everything, just trial and error, why I wanna avoid a catback unless the combo provides minimal drone, as it was a bit much in the Audi and I prefer just the raspiness alone of a High Flow Cat

Todays gonna be interesting, helping my friend drop his Mustang off, wanna see first hand how Ruby Red compares to Rapid in person

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Ford Bronco Ashley the Gypsy AB507506-6872-4889-94F7-FE1B3ABC9209

Since I work next door to the shop, gonna park closer once she’s all done

shorties
GT Catback
Steeda Chassis Brace
Lighting
Gave him my GoVee Interior lights as again, best friend got me Oracle to go with the spare tire light

she’s gonna get beastly
Sponsored