Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'll preface this by saying I sucked up a boulder and it trashed my brake line and ABS sensor. Maybe that's all that's causing this, but why both sides?

Both my front brakes locked up solid. I was able to get them to spin by bleeding them but the boulder side locked up again as soon as I touched the pedal. Ended up pinching it off to get home.

Update 5/17: INITIAL PARTS ESTIMATE

Ford Bronco Ate a boulder, brakes locked up PXL_20220515_203607503

Ford Bronco Ate a boulder, brakes locked up PXL_20220515_204612271
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow...and people are worried about squatch tires throwing rocks, yours just eats em up! That sucks man, glad you were able to make it home. One area I haven't actually taken a close look at is the brake system. Does seem odd that both sides would lock up.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the brake line and ABS sensor from Sheehy Ford out of VA, they were one of the few that had a functional parts look up. Praying the parts are actually in stock and ship.

I have some more inspecting to do. My fuse box is shoved up a couple inches from where it should be too.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dam. I've seen some similar situations but never a boulder THAT big...wow. One would think a Ranger or F150 sensor would be same part???

On a good note...it appears your tie rods held up?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I'll preface this by saying I sucked up a boulder and it trashed my brake line and ABS sensor. Maybe that's all that's causing this, but why both sides?

Both my front brakes locked up solid. I was able to get them to spin by bleeding them but the boulder side locked up again as soon as I touched the pedal. Ended up pinching it off to get home.

Maybe it's an electrical issue? Did you try yanking the fuse(s) for the ABS module? I don't know how it works exactly but these things can apply the brakes automatically (hill start, collision avoidance, etc.) so it might be freaking out based on the sensor issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe it's an electrical issue? Did you try yanking the fuse(s) for the ABS module? I don't know how it works exactly but these things can apply the brakes automatically (hill start, collision avoidance, etc.) so it might be freaking out based on the sensor issue.
Didn't pull the fuse but we disconnected the battery for a while.

Collison avoidance, hill start, hill descent, swaybar, front locker, park brake, advance trac all have errors or don't work.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, Man. Good to see pics of you out beating on your rig!

My guess is that this might be the design. I agree that locking both front wheels seems a lot. But I have had other vehicles that behave oddly when the brake sensor gets smashed. Especially with traction control.

Good to see you found an override. I don't think I would have thought of crimping the line and that might be the only thing that would have got you home. Nice move.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, Man. Good to see pics of you out beating on your rig!

My guess is that this might be the design. I agree that locking both front wheels seems a lot. But I have had other vehicles that behave oddly when the brake sensor gets smashed. Especially with traction control.

Good to see you found an override. I don't think I would have thought of crimping the line and that might be the only thing that would have got you home. Nice move.
I tell you what, braking is kind of interesting at speed with only one front caliper working.

Sheehy estimated 2-3 days for the parts to come in plus shipping time. Local dealer says they can get them in a week. I don't really want the bill to have the dealer do all the work but the clock is ticking, this has to be fixed in 4 weeks or my road trip is off.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

slight pull to the right? ha ha. That sounds hairy.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Time to panic. The 2 local dealers are 3-4 weeks out for service. IDK if independent shops will be able to work on these yet. I'm going to stop by a friend's shop and see what he thinks. The ABS module is what concerns me now, I can change out the parts but bleeding the system is a whole nother thing.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can check when I get home, but pretty sure the newest version of FOSCAN allows you to cycle / initiate the ABS module on replacement. Also I think there's a Brake Service mode in the FSM

Attachments

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Time to panic. The 2 local dealers are 3-4 weeks out for service. IDK if independent shops will be able to work on these yet. I'm going to stop by a friend's shop and see what he thinks. The ABS module is what concerns me now, I can change out the parts but bleeding the system is a whole nother thing.
Ruh roh. It might be time to engage @flip to see what he can decipher remotely.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ruh roh. It might be time to engage @flip to see what he can decipher remotely.
Need FDRS to do the bleed procedure. Were the sensors the only parts destroyed or did it mangle the hard lines? I'd replace the sensors and clear codes first, then if still messed up run the bleed procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.