redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ummm excuse my ignorance, but whats it for?
What he said…

What @mcinfantry said plus it is geared WAY lower than the stock transfer case. ALOT lower gearing. A true off roading transfer case. No electronics, all controlled by the driver. The "front dig" I mentioned means only the front tires get power.
Sponsored

Back2Ford

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'63 F100, '13 GTI, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can custom run the reduction gear.
Also you have
4h
4l
2high rear
2low rear
2high front
2low front

2wd front axle was a game changer on the big heavy rigs I built
Interesting, can you explain what each stick in the photo does?

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, can you explain what each stick in the photo does?
One stick does the front output (high, low,neutral)
And one does the rear output (high,low, neutral)
I run a 5-1 atlas in my 68. Love it.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is that a giant fuel tank under there as well?
That's the first thing I noticed was the custom aluminum fuel tank that sits more flush with the frame....this is on my list of accomplishments.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thought that was a brace for the TC mount but that is not the crossmember for that. Super heavy duty fuel tank skid on it as well.

Also looks like a wishbone upper link on the dif, instead of two individual uppers.
Agreed, so I superior to the panhard rod setup....

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have put a ton of custom fabrication under there. The custom tank and rear suspension is impressive. Not to many stock parts left.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's the first thing I noticed was the custom aluminum fuel tank that sits more flush with the frame....this is on my list of accomplishments.

It looks like the BIG block of steel welded to the crossmember could be there to act like a gusset. Like your idea of a body lift to give room above the tank and cut the crossmember. So they cut the CM and installed a robust gusset to take the load. That would allow a taller fuel tank without the body lift. ;) Just spitballin here and I could be totally wrong but I sat here studying the pics and trying to figure it out. I kept trying to think the holes were for some kind of link, but then I started thinking of your idea and.......... :unsure: IDK........maybe??????

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
what is this? There's some crazy bracing going on here

1679689345669.png
Judging by how the bottom is almost even with the gas tank skid, and that it has three holes in the bottom that appear threaded, I'm gonna venture a guess and say it's the rear mount for a transfer case skid plate. The holes are there probably to add a little rigidity by having the pipes welded through. Looks strong enough to literally sit the weight of the vehicle on it, so.. that's my guess.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I run a 4.31 two speed in my TJ and it’s a game changer. The sticks are located there so to the shifter output location on the case. Cables can be run but that add more room for failure. My TJ is a lot smaller than the G6 broncos and they’ve never been in the way. Front dig is rad and has helped on some tight trails and undercuts.
One issue is advance adapters doesn’t recommend flat towing as they’ve only flat towed the two speed up to 300 miles.
also the case is heavier than say an NP 231 or NP 205 so cross member may be required depending on use. I’m no expert but I’ve put 4 in (JKUR, YJ with an LS and two TJ’s) and they are so cool

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Atlas is a slick t-case, been using one for years in my YJ, way tougher than even the venerable 205, about 5x as much if I recall. You can do a whole lot with just the ability to select each axle, in some cases it allows you to maneuver tighter than rear steer would. The gear reduction is nuts...you're able to get the vehicle moving and in gear by just using the synchros in the transmission. No clutch needed, just a gentle push forward into 1st is all it takes, and you're off at a slow walking speed. You can start it in gear too, doesn't even drag the starter down. Shifter location has always been a troublesome part of the swap, and the solution they came up with is more or less on par with a lot of non-Jeep applications. I've long considered an Atlas swap in the Bronco but I kind of enjoy having the AWD option of the current t-case for pavement and higher traction environments at the same time. Not too keen on disabling thousands of codes as a result either. If one could figure out how to electronically "twin stick" the Bronco's t-case, and maybe sandwich a doubler in there too, that would give you OEM function plus everything the Atlas offers, minus the strength.

Some observations...the rear axle has an entirely different link arrangement than a Bronco. Looks like they went with an offset wishbone 3 link. That allowed them to mount the lower links a little higher to the frame and almost flush on the axle, and opened up some extra room for the aluminum fuel cell. The shock mounts on the axle have been raised level with the housing, meaning to get any kind of travel there they'd have to dig into the wheel well and fab up a shock hoop somewhere.

T-case crossmember is OEM, just slightly modified by welding a mounting plate up to it.

Fronts have portals but nothing on the rear, which is sort of an unusual arrangement. One benefit of portals is getting a gear reduction in the hub so you're not having to put as much torque through the axle shafts, which means the portals are either geared 1:1 or the axle has a pretty steep gear ratio to match the portal gear reduction. Seems like they could've gained more clearance by using a rear portal than all the work they did to raise the links and shocks, or gained a lot more by doing both. Doubt it was a cost saving measure, maybe it had more to do with ride height and whatnot.

I wonder if any of the lights on the dash aren't illuminated with this setup.

Judging by how the bottom is almost even with the gas tank skid, and that it has three holes in the bottom that appear threaded, I'm gonna venture a guess and say it's the rear mount for a transfer case skid plate. The holes are there probably to add a little rigidity by having the pipes welded through. Looks strong enough to literally sit the weight of the vehicle on it, so.. that's my guess.
Yep, just a support substructure for the skid plate. Integrates the driveshaft hoop/crossmember as a structural member of the skid instead of fabricating an entirely new structural support, so it can be bashed to hell without caving the skid in.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One issue is advance adapters doesn’t recommend flat towing as they’ve only flat towed the two speed up to 300 miles.
LOL damn, I didn't know that. A couple decades ago I was towing my YJ and blew the 231 all over the highway, front driveshaft was trashed and went through the floorboard. No clue how it happened, I could feel it dragging the minute I got on the road with it, so I pulled over and checked to make sure it wasn't in gear. Did it again on the way to the gas station in town. Stopped by the shop and made a wooden clamp/jig thing to hold the shifters in neutral and bolted it to the floorboard, thinking that would be the end of that. Two miles out of town I felt it drag really hard and before I could even get on the brakes it blew and I watched pieces fly out all over the road. All I can figure is that something was loose in the shift rails or whatever and it managed to engage the front driveshaft while the shifter was in neutral. The hole that the driveshaft left was conveniently in the same spot for the twin sticks on an Atlas II, and it was advertised at that time to be capable of flat towing, so I decided to upgrade and fix three problems at once. I hadn't flat towed it since so I guess that worked out in my favor.

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One stick does the front output (high, low,neutral)
And one does the rear output (high,low, neutral)
I run a 5-1 atlas in my 68. Love it.
I have the same in my '69 Bronco. Pairs well with my ZF 5 speed.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, we know it's possible now. Hopefully someone will make a bolt in version

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Atlas is a slick t-case, been using one for years in my YJ, way tougher than even the venerable 205, about 5x as much if I recall. You can do a whole lot with just the ability to select each axle, in some cases it allows you to maneuver tighter than rear steer would. The gear reduction is nuts...you're able to get the vehicle moving and in gear by just using the synchros in the transmission. No clutch needed, just a gentle push forward into 1st is all it takes, and you're off at a slow walking speed. You can start it in gear too, doesn't even drag the starter down. Shifter location has always been a troublesome part of the swap, and the solution they came up with is more or less on par with a lot of non-Jeep applications. I've long considered an Atlas swap in the Bronco but I kind of enjoy having the AWD option of the current t-case for pavement and higher traction environments at the same time. Not too keen on disabling thousands of codes as a result either. If one could figure out how to electronically "twin stick" the Bronco's t-case, and maybe sandwich a doubler in there too, that would give you OEM function plus everything the Atlas offers, minus the strength.

Some observations...the rear axle has an entirely different link arrangement than a Bronco. Looks like they went with an offset wishbone 3 link. That allowed them to mount the lower links a little higher to the frame and almost flush on the axle, and opened up some extra room for the aluminum fuel cell. The shock mounts on the axle have been raised level with the housing, meaning to get any kind of travel there they'd have to dig into the wheel well and fab up a shock hoop somewhere.

T-case crossmember is OEM, just slightly modified by welding a mounting plate up to it.

Fronts have portals but nothing on the rear, which is sort of an unusual arrangement. One benefit of portals is getting a gear reduction in the hub so you're not having to put as much torque through the axle shafts, which means the portals are either geared 1:1 or the axle has a pretty steep gear ratio to match the portal gear reduction. Seems like they could've gained more clearance by using a rear portal than all the work they did to raise the links and shocks, or gained a lot more by doing both. Doubt it was a cost saving measure, maybe it had more to do with ride height and whatnot.

I wonder if any of the lights on the dash aren't illuminated with this setup.

Yep, just a support substructure for the skid plate. Integrates the driveshaft hoop/crossmember as a structural member of the skid instead of fabricating an entirely new structural support, so it can be bashed to hell without caving the skid in.
My guess would be they moved the coilvers to mount on top of the 9"...sorta like a "leaf spring SOA" conversion, then slapped the portals on the front to match the rear lift. Would love to know the gearing as well!

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My guess would be they moved the coilvers to mount on top of the 9"...sorta like a "leaf spring SOA" conversion, then slapped the portals on the front to match the rear lift. Would love to know the gearing as well!
Seems likely, there's not a whole lot of room for shocks when you relocate them that high without gaining ride height. Spring overs were the titties back in the 90's...could just about keep the same ride quality and gain 5.5" of lift, or add 4" springs and get almost 10" of lift in a wrangler, and they were cheap and easy to do.
Sponsored