Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

well, I have been driving my BD with MIC hard top, (4 door) with the driver and passenger roof panel stowed in the cargo area, enjoying open air in Colorado. I had noticed the fairly large gap between the roof frame, and the roof panel. During the winter, I thought what a cool place to stow special items, out of sight. But then this past week, I thought about all the wind noise that occurs with all the panels of the MIC installed, and that this void along the length of the front and rear doors is an opportunity to try something.

So I purchased two 6 foot lengths of 3/4 inch regular pipe insulation (see pic), then with the front two panels removed, pushed one end of the foam insulation snake along the gap beginning with the second panel (you may have two release the latches for the second panel to make it easier for you). Then simply lay the remaining portion along the front door, then trim the remaining piece with a scissors, at the A pillar. Make sure it is snug against the rubber seal that comes down along the A pillar. (note, do not use the adhesive on the pipe, leave that backing on, you don't need it and it makes re-install a breeze)
20220609_150539.jpg

Repeat on the other side, then install the two front roof panels (also with the foam hack on the pins, to eliminate that squeak)

This hack will cost you $ 6 for the two pieces of insulation, and about 10 minutes to install. Then, go ride at your usual speed, without infotainment distraction, and you will notice at least a 30% reduction in ambient noise while driving. The wind sounds are muffled and I am much more enjoying the queit ride!

Yes, when you remove the roof panels for open air, you will have to also remove the insulation and store until you re-install, but that is not a problem.
Pics/Vids OP?

You are killing us haha
Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don’t get it. What is this problem I have?

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is what the OP is referring to. See the red cylinder? That is where there is a gap that is between the edge of the mic panel and the roll cage. On a side note, this is a perfect ledge to grasp onto when the panels are off and the windows are down/doors are off.

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack ACF027C5-8BB4-4292-B17E-E97F113A99AA

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They sell that pipe insulation without adhesive

Cmptn845

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 pilot, 16 frontier, 10 maxima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have been thinking about ways to use this space. My last thought was keeping a knife up there since I have been approached by a couple of aggressive "outdoor friends" when I have the doors off.

I am going to try this ASAP.
By aggressive outdoor friends are they Jeep owners asking if the bronco was worth the 100k?

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This hack will cost you $ 6 for the two pieces of insulation, and about 10 minutes to install. Then, go ride at your usual speed, without infotainment distraction, and you will notice at least a 30% reduction in ambient noise while driving. The wind sounds are muffled and I am much more enjoying the queit ride!
I only noticed a 27.5% reduction in ambient noise while driving. Not satisfied. Who do I see about refunding my $6.00?

;)

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My mother in-law is bothered by the wind noise more than me. So I may try this for her and my wife but to but to me it’s a hell of a lot quieter than the hardtop on my old Jeep! Granted being quieter than a 25 year old Jeep isn’t much of a challenge.

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I only noticed a 27.5% reduction in ambient noise while driving. Not satisfied. Who do I see about refunding my $6.00?

;)
Well @SuperFord, come to Durango to collect and we can do a trail together. Sorry you did not achieve 30%, but 27% for about 6 bucks is a deal you cant miss!

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well @SuperFord, come to Durango to collect and we can do a trail together. Sorry you did not achieve 30%, but 27% for about 6 bucks is a deal you cant miss!
Ford Accessories will sell you that part for $600...but it has a little Bronco stamped on it :ROFLMAO:

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife says hands free blue tooth conversations with me in the Bronco are clearer then in my old 2015 STi. Between the intake, exhaust and the center a/c vents blowing directly on the microphone that car was loud.

Is the Bronco pipe insulation hack even a hack without incorporating duct tape or zip ties?

Still waiting on photos or video…

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, they say a pic is worth a thousand words, and with all your asking, here you go. And, no zip ties or tape. 3/4 inch (inside of snake) fits like a glove and the roof panel holds it in place.

I expect a compliment for my clear pics!
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220611_123743
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220611_123822

Lifted with my finger so you can see how it lays...
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220611_123903

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sure it works, but stuffing some foam or other crap in all these gaps makes better than 30% difference in wind noise.

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220611_123903
I would bet that most MIC tops have this gap. I’ve got weatherstripping in mine to close the gaps and it made a big difference.

Now to address the whistling noise during high speed coming from the main roof piece…
Sponsored