Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well, I have been driving my BD with MIC hard top, (4 door) with the driver and passenger roof panel stowed in the cargo area, enjoying open air in Colorado. I had noticed the fairly large gap between the roof frame, and the roof panel. During the winter, I thought what a cool place to stow special items, out of sight. But then this past week, I thought about all the wind noise that occurs with all the panels of the MIC installed, and that this void along the length of the front and rear doors is an opportunity to try something.

So I purchased two 6 foot lengths of 3/4 inch regular pipe insulation (see pic), then with the front two panels removed, pushed one end of the foam insulation snake along the gap beginning with the second panel (you may have two release the latches for the second panel to make it easier for you). Then simply lay the remaining portion along the front door, then trim the remaining piece with a scissors, at the A pillar. Make sure it is snug against the rubber seal that comes down along the A pillar. (note, do not use the adhesive on the pipe, leave that backing on, you don't need it and it makes re-install a breeze)
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220609_150539

Repeat on the other side, then install the two front roof panels (also with the foam hack on the pins, to eliminate that squeak)

This hack will cost you $ 6 for the two pieces of insulation, and about 10 minutes to install. Then, go ride at your usual speed, without infotainment distraction, and you will notice at least a 30% reduction in ambient noise while driving. The wind sounds are muffled and I am much more enjoying the queit ride!

Yes, when you remove the roof panels for open air, you will have to also remove the insulation and store until you re-install, but that is not a problem.
Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well, I have been driving my BD with MIC hard top, (4 door) with the driver and passenger roof panel stowed in the cargo area, enjoying open air in Colorado. I had noticed the fairly large gap between the roof frame, and the roof panel. During the winter, I thought what a cool place to stow special items, out of sight. But then this past week, I thought about all the wind noise that occurs with all the panels of the MIC installed, and that this void along the length of the front and rear doors is an opportunity to try something.

So I purchased two 6 foot lengths of 3/4 inch regular pipe insulation (see pic), then with the front two panels removed, pushed one end of the foam insulation snake along the gap beginning with the second panel (you may have two release the latches for the second panel to make it easier for you). Then simply lay the remaining portion along the front door, then trim the remaining piece with a scissors, at the A pillar. Make sure it is snug against the rubber seal that comes down along the A pillar. (note, do not use the adhesive on the pipe, leave that backing on, you don't need it and it makes re-install a breeze)
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 20220609_150539

Repeat on the other side, then install the two front roof panels (also with the foam hack on the pins, to eliminate that squeak)

This hack will cost you $ 6 for the two pieces of insulation, and about 10 minutes to install. Then, go ride at your usual speed, without infotainment distraction, and you will notice at least a 30% reduction in ambient noise while driving. The wind sounds are muffled and I am much more enjoying the queit ride!

Yes, when you remove the roof panels for open air, you will have to also remove the insulation and store until you re-install, but that is not a problem.
Pictures of installed insulation for reference?

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been thinking about ways to use this space. My last thought was keeping a knife up there since I have been approached by a couple of aggressive "outdoor friends" when I have the doors off.

I am going to try this ASAP.

Sponsored

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Description is great, but damn I’m such a visual person. Any pics of the installed piece to give me perspective?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the pool noodle will be too thick, the 3/4 inch pipe insulation worked just perfect......
I mean they do come in varying sizes as well... not like it really matters price wise anyway, just a thought

Meraki Hammocks

Big Bend
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr 2.3l 7 speed Big Bend Cactus Gray Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have tried the same thing with the soft top. It did decrease the wind noise. I am still experimenting.

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tried this today - as the OP stated, about 6 bucks and about 5 minutes. Definitely reduces wind noise especially up to about 60 MPH.

Thanks for the cheap effective hack. One piece at a time, we’re making the Bronco better....

Sponsored

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where is that on your Bronco? I have no gaps like that in my MIC Top (that I am aware of 😳)

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 7AD1C6F8-00AD-424C-9EA3-8169D8E3A43D

Yes can you please post some installed pics or a video.

ajdavis19

First Edition
First Name
Alden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 7AD1C6F8-00AD-424C-9EA3-8169D8E3A43D

Any chance you can show this DIY on a video? I'm extremely lost. Or maybe show more pictures of where you installed them. Thanks.
Sponsored