Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My mother in-law is bothered by the wind noise more than me.
Waiting for someone to post the hack to make it louder... just for this reason. And to drown out the "interior ambient noise" that originates from whichever seat she happens to be sitting in at the time.
Remove the top?

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think this hack is for MIC 1's, since the MIC 2 has a black open cell foam already filling the gaps.
I have the MIC 2 on mine, I tried this because "what the hell?" Right?

You can hold a conversation more comfortably with someone in the backseat doing this trick.

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with rubber version of the pipe insulation and installed it this weekend. Took about 10 minutes - super easy with the front panels off.

I don't know how many decibels difference it makes, but it is definitely noticeable, especially at highway speeds. It almost seems like wind noise I used to hear by my head is now further towards the back.

Great, inexpensive hack! Thanks OP!

Sponsored

mortgagebruce

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (SOLD) / 2020 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow, thanks for this hack. I've got a 2-door and my biggest complaint has been the wind noise at highway speeds and this does make a huge difference. Beat the hell out of my other complaint which was the poor sound of the B&O system which cost me over $3500 to fix.

Buckâ‚©ild

Black Diamond
First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys, Bronco BD, Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This really works!
Our voice used to echo inside as if inside a chamber - that disappeared.
Went with the foam install.

Curious now if rubber would actually provide a better return but so far happy with the fix.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder how often they will need to be replaced if one lives in high heat region because they will dry out and become brittle and flake off? I had some stored in my garage and wanted to use them to make some outdoor faucet covers during a freezing spell and they just crumbled in my hands.
It's not the heat that causes this foam to turn into dust, it's UV exposure from being outside. Insulation like this is designed to handle temperature extremes. You can find decade old insulation inside homes wrapped around hot water lines that stay at 160F still retain their foamy composure. The same insulation outside in direct sunlight hardly lasts a year. In the locations that they'll be in your Bronco, they won't see any sunlight and won't degrade like they would on your outdoor plumbing. I have the same stuff as padding on several roll cages in other vehicles, it's survived quite a bit of time in the desert sun with top off Jeeps and Blazers. The stuff on my Blazer is probably 25 years old at this point and still feels squishy and padded.

The rubberized version of this insulation has the same UV drawbacks, it'll deteriorate with UV as well, but it also lasts a very long time in high heat/low light exposure.

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No help. Installed the 3/4” pipe insulation and made no difference! Frustrating.

mortgagebruce

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (SOLD) / 2020 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Sponsored

BDoyle

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-Runner XP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well,

All I can say is WOW WOW....

So, I took the OP's original idea, and went to Home Depot....but instead of foam, I paid $6 for 3/4" RUBBER, since rubber is better than foam as a sound barrier (6 foot)....

BUT, for ME, the main noise has always bothered me from the FRONT of the bronco...

So, after putting in the insulation on the sides just as the OP, I had about 2 pieces left-over of about 2-2.5 feet each...

now the FRONT empty channel is smaller than the sides so you need to CUT in HALF the remaining pieces, and you have enough for the front....

See the pics.

I can't say for sure how much the noise from the sides was reduced, but BY GOD the front noise is reduced by 70-75% for me....

I won't drive now without it when the top is on.

would zz
Well,

All I can say is WOW WOW....

So, I took the OP's original idea, and went to Home Depot....but instead of foam, I paid $6 for 3/4" RUBBER, since rubber is better than foam as a sound barrier (6 foot)....

BUT, for ME, the main noise has always bothered me from the FRONT of the bronco...

So, after putting in the insulation on the sides just as the OP, I had about 2 pieces left-over of about 2-2.5 feet each...

now the FRONT empty channel is smaller than the sides so you need to CUT in HALF the remaining pieces, and you have enough for the front....

See the pics.

I can't say for sure how much the noise from the sides was reduced, but BY GOD the front noise is reduced by 70-75% for me....

I won't drive now without it when the top is on.

tempImage3iPWN0.png
Can you share from the home depot site exactly what you purchased? I have the same Bronco as you and plan to go to home depot this evening.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s this one

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 847A6E9A-221E-4DF7-945D-5A0E94D84A5B

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going to get the decibel meter from work and do before/after see how much difference we make!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My top is rarely on, but when it is, I use three different tips from threads here and it has made all the difference. Going from unable to have a conversation at highway speeds to being able to listen to the radio on level 9.

This pipe insulation along the sides, weatherstripping added along the front side edge of the rear section, and memory foam between the bimini top and hard top.

MIC hard top wind noise reduction …best results so far - using rubber gasket strips | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community
Sponsored