David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So an update...
We've had several days over 100 degrees here (like 50+ in a row). Reached as high as 108, so I can only imagine what the temps inside were right next to the black roof.
The pipe insulation I used from Home Depot got.. droopy.. very flexible in the heat, and the center section towards the front of the rear windows (2 door) was drooping down and could be seen in the window. The double sided tape (I left the backing on) was getting stuck to the plastic and actually making a sort of clicking/clanking noise (I thought it was my roof at first).

So.. just check to see if this added insulation is drooping and stuff it back up in there :)
Sponsored

Mike Kleen

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Base MIC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I tried this today. Removed the tape and just went in the channel beside the middle two sections. I’m abt to drive 3hrs to the beach I’ll report back.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Posting for later!

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any updates on this hack? Going to do this tomorrow and unsure if i should go with the foamy one or rubber…

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any updates on this hack? Going to do this tomorrow and unsure if i should go with the foamy one or rubber…
I'd vote go rubber.

My foam didn't hold up to the Texas heat (we had a ton of days above 100) and kept getting bendy and falling down around the rear sections :)

I'll replace it with the rubber one soon.

Sponsored

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gave this a try today, and even ran the insulation all the way to the rear cap. Measured before and after with the decibel meter on my watch. Sad to say, it made zero impact at any speed. So I am guessing if it improved your noise issues, then you may have a bad seal somewhere.

Jviz4u

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ice-Mountain special
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I gave this a try today, and even ran the insulation all the way to the rear cap. Measured before and after with the decibel meter on my watch. Sad to say, it made zero impact at any speed. So I am guessing if it improved your noise issues, then you may have a bad seal somewhere.
I assume that you did the measurement at the ear level. Right?

Ltjb8

Wildtrak
First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I tried the foam thing and it helped a little but not much on mine… this stupid wooden shim I shoved in the window eliminates about 75% or more of the wind noise though. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤯

Check and make sure that triangle shaped seal isn’t warped and wavy like mine. My dealer said it would be under warranty I just don’t want them to touch my windshield recall yet so I’m going to wait a little bit.
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack D5916467-EA66-406E-B60E-B11C0687334A

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if it improved your noise issues, then you may have a bad seal somewhere.
Seems to be plausible. I gave it a try a while back and I couldn't tell any difference. I'm also not experiencing some of the wind noise problems that others are noting. First drive in my Bronco gave me the impression that it was really quiet for a removable top vehicle compared to half a dozen others that I've had over the years. I do have some hearing damage which might have something to do with it, maybe I'm not hearing the really high pitch noises that are causing problems. I can listen to music on level 6 at 80mph and still hear it okay, I can have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat no problem, but sometimes have a hard time hearing what my kids are saying in the back (which admittedly is a problem even at home lol).

Sponsored

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have started another thread with my experience with the wind noise issue HERE

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well,

All I can say is WOW WOW....

So, I took the OP's original idea, and went to Home Depot....but instead of foam, I paid $6 for 3/4" RUBBER, since rubber is better than foam as a sound barrier (6 foot)....

BUT, for ME, the main noise has always bothered me from the FRONT of the bronco...

So, after putting in the insulation on the sides just as the OP, I had about 2 pieces left-over of about 2-2.5 feet each...

now the FRONT empty channel is smaller than the sides so you need to CUT in HALF the remaining pieces, and you have enough for the front....

See the pics.

I can't say for sure how much the noise from the sides was reduced, but BY GOD the front noise is reduced by 70-75% for me....

I won't drive now without it when the top is on.

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack C0D379E1-AA02-4C3E-A0BB-81A7DB232912
I'm going the EPDM rubber route like you. 7/8 internal diameter, which is about .10" larger OD for a little more compression to make a better seal. Great idea for the front. It just turned cold here in WI yesterday and the whistling noise on my way to and from work was horrendous. I had some 1 1/4 x 7/16 frost king self adhesive weather stripping laying around from an old project. That reduced the whistling noise by 90%. So the rubber pipe insulation along with the EPDM .5" x .5" I ordered on Amazon last night should do the trick. I'll report back on the 7/8" if it doesn't work as intended.

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got 1 inch foam. The EPDM was to flimsy. 1" is too big and pushes the seal to far from where it should seat. 3/4 is just right. I'm whistling now on the right side only. So there's another area that I need to find and address. Good thing I have a 3.5 hour drive to Minneapolis tomorrow for Navy. I hope I can stop this whistle before I leave.
Sponsored