Sponsored

Audio upgrade. Has anyone done a 3-way component system?!

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
After searching a bit I haven’t really found the answers I’m looking for. I Want to do an audio upgrade for the base speakers.

I was thinking a three way component system up front would be nice. Put the woofers in the kick panels, mid range drivers in the dash and just surface mount the tweeters. Fill it out with some 2 ways in the rear pods And add a powered sub somewhere hidden (was thinking maybe behind the plastic panels in the back). Crutchfield does have a couple 3 way setups that say fit the bronco…

so does anyone have this set up or have one like this planned? If so what are you using? Would an amp be necessary for these speakers or will the factory radio be enough?

any input would be helpful thanks!
Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After searching a bit I haven’t really found the answers I’m looking for. I Want to do an audio upgrade for the base speakers.

I was thinking a three way component system up front would be nice. Put the woofers in the kick panels, mid range drivers in the dash and just surface mount the tweeters. Fill it out with some 2 ways in the rear pods And add a powered sub somewhere hidden (was thinking maybe behind the plastic panels in the back). Crutchfield does have a couple 3 way setups that say fit the bronco…

so does anyone have this set up or have one like this planned? If so what are you using? Would an amp be necessary for these speakers or will the factory radio be enough?

You could do a 3 way set up as described but when I upgraded the audio system in my current daily driver they recommended just eliminating the 4” dash speakers and putting the tweeters in that dash space instead. 2 Way speakers can and often do sound better than a 3 way setup. The skill of the installer and having the system properly equalized matters more than whether it’s a 2 way or 3 way component system as that 2nd crossover point has downsides that can be tricky to fix in a car.

I went with the Focal 165KX2’s and they sound amazing with the matching E30 KX 12” sub and JL Audio amplifier.

Ford Bronco Audio upgrade. Has anyone done a 3-way component system?! EEA53EEF-8113-4AD7-9CD3-E8EA802A6F5B

OP
OP
cmcbronco

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
You could do a 3 way set up as described but when I upgraded the audio system in my current daily driver they recommended just eliminating the 4” dash speakers and putting the tweeters in that dash space instead. 2 Way speakers can and often do sound better than a 3 way setup. The skill of the installer and having the system properly equalized matters more than whether it’s a 2 way or 3 way component system as that 2nd crossover point has downsides that can be tricky to fix in a car.

I went with the Focal 165KX2’s and they sound amazing with the matching E30 KX 12” sub and JL Audio amplifier.

Ford Bronco Audio upgrade. Has anyone done a 3-way component system?! EEA53EEF-8113-4AD7-9CD3-E8EA802A6F5B
I appreciate the response. I did see those focals on there but that’s some serious coin for some speakers lol. I’m sure they are worth it though.

so you ran those focals in the bronco? And put the tweeters where the factory 4” speakers are?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I appreciate the response. I did see those focals on there but that’s some serious coin for some speakers lol. I’m sure they are worth it though.

so you ran those focals in the bronco? And put the tweeters where the factory 4” speakers are?
I don’t have my Bronco yet but I’ve installed Focal separates in the front door/dashes of several other vehicles including my current 2015 Tesla. The tweeter wouldn’t fit in the A pillars so we ditched the 4” dash speakers and installed the tweeters there. They sound great and are invisible in the factory door and dash locations.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think I was just talking about this the other day. This is not strictly what you mean but perhaps a little relevant.

I had a 98 Dodge Durango with Infinity premium stereo. It had components in the front (Tweeters at the top and circular, could be mid-range or whatever they were, larger circular speakers at the bottom) and then another set of circular, whatever-kind-they-were in the bottom of rear doors. In 2003 I decided that I'd upgrade them, after having spent years blasting those babies at the top volume level forever.

So I got Infinity Perfect Components to replace the fronts, and I THINK I did Infinity Kappa 3-Ways in the rear. (Fair disclosure, it could have been 2-ways or even 4-ways, whatever the best I could get in Infinity, and they didn't have these in Perfect, so I went with the next best which was Kappa.) and then a 12" sub in the back. One amp for the speakers, one dedicated Sub Amp for the 12" sub.

Awesomeness. And I ABSOLUTELY agree with the Skill of the Installer and way it's set up. I paid BIG BUCKS to a local shop that my Dad recommended- he wasn't too happy about the idea of my wasting money on audio stuff but "if you're going to do it, take it to the place all the police go ...." and that freaking moron installed it completely wrong. It always sounded GOOD but I remember talking to someone years down the road who basically was like, "Oh this guy should have done This, That , and The Other Thing, and he did this plainly wrong, you could have much more volume and much HIGHER QUALITY volume with all these good things you have, if he had done it right..."

Those Focals look pretty good, certainly not inexpensive tho lol.

Sponsored

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BD Sas, 07 BMW 335i, 02 Cooper S JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am ditching the 4" speaks in the dash and mounting 46mm Kicker QS tweets instead. The 4" speaks aren't efficient enough mids to make a difference so I'm eliminating them. I am also going to add 6.5" Kicker QS component (2ways) in the kick panels and 4" KIckers in the rear with a sub, etc..

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 3 way setup with tweeters in the a-pillars, 4 inch in the dash and 6.5 in the kick panels. I turned down the gain on the dash speakers to allow for the tweeters to shine and the dash gives a nice fill along with the rear pods.

(And of course a JL 12 in the rear cargo area)

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base

Here is a link for ideas and some speakers Surface mounted A-Pillar tweeters - has anyone done or seen flush mounted? (With pic) | Page 2 | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Njchris1968

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford e350 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking at doing infinity kappa 3 way in front 6.5 coaxial in pod and adding another sun to go with the base stock sub for now running wires from the speaker to amp and back to the speakers. I don’t feel the stock wires are heavy enough for the power. Going at least 14g maybe 12 depends what I find sitting around. I may go alpine components and add a 4” mid range if needed. What I don’t use I. The bronco will get put in the maverick.
Sponsored