Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up my 4dr Badlands w/high package last week and in anticipation of poor audio from stock I ordered (4) Infinity Reference 4" and (2) Infinity Reference 6.5". I took my time to swap all the speakers, tested some bass blockers on the 4" speakers but removed them (think I ordered too high a cut, should've gone with 600hz). The install overall went well, the plastics are super finicky and the last thing I wanted to do was break anything, which I managed to avoid so thats a positive.

The sound system now overall sounds clear/crisp, but the low-end is horrible. I made sure that on the 6.5s to attach foam around the mounts for isolation, crimped/shrunk all the connections and it is underwhelming to say the least. The low-end is muddy and to be honest sounds like its driving the 6.5s beyond their limit as it gets very broken up. The EQ has been adjusted tirelessly and the best I can do without completely trashing the sound is bass around 5/10, mid around 6 treble around 7/8.

For the audiophiles out there what would you suggest I do? is it best to replace the 6.5s with something more capable, add an amplifier, add filter(s), install a separate subwoofer? Appreciate the help from the community, thanks all.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious, which adapters did you use to connect the 6.5s to the stock harness?

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious, which adapters did you use to connect the 6.5s to the stock harness?
I removed the connector and spliced new wires for the connections. For the wiring I used the diagram thats been floating around the forum in the audio threads, everything matched up and is routed appropriately.

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You may have already seen this, but perhaps there are some tips/answers in this thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...de-tutorial-with-stereo-wiring-diagram.20275/

Here is a random YouTube video that I thought has some good information (but the install requires a new amp).

To clarify, you did NOT add a new amplifier, is that correct? The small amplifier in the factory head unit is probably not up to the task, ill -matching speakers may struggle too much. Have you thought about adding a new amplifier? Might make all your troubles go away . . .

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You may have already seen this, but perhaps there are some tips/answers in this thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...de-tutorial-with-stereo-wiring-diagram.20275/

Here is a random YouTube video that I thought has some good information (but the install requires a new amp).

To clarify, you did NOT add a new amplifier, is that correct? The small amplifier in the factory head unit is probably not up to the task, ill -matching speakers may struggle too much. Have you thought about adding a new amplifier? Might make all your troubles go away . . .
Here is the link I forgot for the random YouTube video I mentioned above:

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the input. I did not install an amplifier.

The Infinity Reference speakers are at each location so they all match brand-wise, and I've seen others post on here they've installed the same so I dont believe its an issue related to capability/compatibility.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate the input. I did not install an amplifier.

The Infinity Reference speakers are at each location so they all match brand-wise, and I've seen others post on here they've installed the same so I dont believe its an issue related to capability/compatibility.
Well, if others have performed an identical install with success, I would think the issue relates to a wire connection that was perhaps not arranged the way you wanted it , or the speaker(s) are actually defective in some way (that DOES happen). I have completed many car audio installs over the years and all I can say is that muddy bass is usually the result of an EQ that is not properly set, crossovers that are not correct, or the gain on the amp is not properly adjusted (and sometimes all three of these issues conspiring together). But you don't seem to have these issues because you did not install an amp that would require crossover and gain adjustments . . . everything is coming from the factory head unit that has everything pre-adjusted. The EQ is one thing but it sounds like you already tried playing with that quite a bit. I recommend you perform a forum search to find the others who have done a similar install to see if you can pinpoint the problem with them.

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So thanks to those on this forum I think I fixed my problem. Went back to the drawing board and decided to put the stock 6.5s back in, and throw two bass blockers on the dash 4s (still Infinity Reference speakers). In combination with the swap back to stock on 6.5s it sounds substantially better and I'm very pleased.

For whatever reason the 6.5 Infinity Reference in the kick panel (in my installation, at least) just sounded too flat and for my style of music it just felt like a major disappointment. The 4s are wonderful and even better with the bass blockers up front (none on rear pods), so if you are looking to make an improvement it genuinely sounds fantastic. You have to realize it wont sound like a true premium system but for a convertible truck that can be hosed down inside it sounds pretty crisp and loud enough for my tastes.

Sponsored

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I picked up my 4dr Badlands w/high package last week and in anticipation of poor audio from stock I ordered (4) Infinity Reference 4" and (2) Infinity Reference 6.5". I took my time to swap all the speakers, tested some bass blockers on the 4" speakers but removed them (think I ordered too high a cut, should've gone with 600hz). The install overall went well, the plastics are super finicky and the last thing I wanted to do was break anything, which I managed to avoid so thats a positive.

The sound system now overall sounds clear/crisp, but the low-end is horrible. I made sure that on the 6.5s to attach foam around the mounts for isolation, crimped/shrunk all the connections and it is underwhelming to say the least. The low-end is muddy and to be honest sounds like its driving the 6.5s beyond their limit as it gets very broken up. The EQ has been adjusted tirelessly and the best I can do without completely trashing the sound is bass around 5/10, mid around 6 treble around 7/8.

For the audiophiles out there what would you suggest I do? is it best to replace the 6.5s with something more capable, add an amplifier, add filter(s), install a separate subwoofer? Appreciate the help from the community, thanks all.
I would add a powered subwoofer, which I just completed. I have a Kicker HS8 which is an 8" subwoofer that puts out 150 Watts RMS. I am super happy with the performance. It is not a subwoofer to rattle your neighbors windows, just adds a solid bottom octave to the base system. I did order the Infinity Reference 4 inch speakers which i will install in the dash, along with 600hz Bass Blockers. I kept the stock 6 1/2 inch kick panel speakers because they are waterproof and the load on them is now less with the sub. The installation of the sub was a bit involved, but once completed it is the best $ 270 that I spent on any audio system. BTW I am a former Ford Audio System Engineering Manager, and the base system is the worst sounding system that Ford has put out in decades. I understand the limitations of the speaker packaging in the Bronco is a big factor.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also I put Pioneer TSG-400s in the rear sail speaker positions. Since they are already high passed with the Sync DSP they are essentially tweeters. Decent speakers but I think the Infinity Reference are better. In the front seat the rear speakers don't contribute much of anything to the sound quality.

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would add a powered subwoofer, which I just completed. I have a Kicker HS8 which is an 8" subwoofer that puts out 150 Watts RMS. I am super happy with the performance. It is not a subwoofer to rattle your neighbors windows, just adds a solid bottom octave to the base system. I did order the Infinity Reference 4 inch speakers which i will install in the dash, along with 600hz Bass Blockers. I kept the stock 6 1/2 inch kick panel speakers because they are waterproof and the load on them is now less with the sub. The installation of the sub was a bit involved, but once completed it is the best $ 270 that I spent on any audio system. BTW I am a former Ford Audio System Engineering Manager, and the base system is the worst sounding system that Ford has put out in decades. I understand the limitations of the speaker packaging in the Bronco is a big factor.
Haha well you definitely have a valuable opinion that's for sure. Funny enough I have a HS8 from one of my last vehicles, its been sitting in the garage for a few years so I don't even know if it still works or not. The issue I've debated is where to put it because I want the ability to fold my seats down and I dont want to take up space in the back. Where did you install yours?

Honestly the Infinity 4s are a game changer, super crisp and no break up at higher volumes from my initial experience. Before I installed the bass blockers they broke up quite a bit, much more bass than I expected that pushed them too far, but with the blockers they're superb.

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Riddle me this...As a former Audio engineer manager, doesn't Ford have a crossover with the dash panel speakers and kick panel speakers eliminating the need for bass blockers?

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Haha well you definitely have a valuable opinion that's for sure. Funny enough I have a HS8 from one of my last vehicles, its been sitting in the garage for a few years so I don't even know if it still works or not. The issue I've debated is where to put it because I want the ability to fold my seats down and I dont want to take up space in the back. Where did you install yours?

Honestly the Infinity 4s are a game changer, super crisp and no break up at higher volumes from my initial experience. Before I installed the bass blockers they broke up quite a bit, much more bass than I expected that pushed them too far, but with the blockers they're superb.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I mounted the HS8 in the cargo area on the passenger side directly to the floor. I have a rubber cargo mat between the sub and the cargo floor to reduce resonance. I used the strap method to secure the sub and also connected it via the Aux 2 circuit of the Auxiliary Switch option. It does not interfere with the storage bin beneath the floor (I have a 4 door). If I need cargo space, I can remove the sub in one minute and shut off power to it via the Aux 2 switch. I also definitely recommend that you install the remote bass control if you choose to use your HS8 because the bass level needed varies dramatically depending on the tunes you are listening to. I have that mounted just to the left and below the ignition button just to the right of the steering column.
Sponsored