First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I attended the Austin Off-Roadeo over the weekend have a few observations.

Selecting off road Goat modes or engaging 4 wheel drive must disable the Auto Start/Stop. I was thinking that it was the A/C running on full max that kept the engines running but then noticed the Auto Start/Stop disabled indicator on the instrument cluster. I searched the owner manual and did not find any mention of Auto Start/Stop and G.O.A.T. modes or 4x4 selection.

I guess it is possible that Ford bypassed the Auto Start/Stop on the Off-Roadeo Bronco's (both of mine were pre-production). But I am thinking it is 4x4 or Goat modes.

Day 1 in Normal Mode but 4x4 engaged (waiting for the transfer case to shift into low range).
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631028882318

Day two with Rock/Crawl mode selected
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631028397770

Our Off-Roadeo experience was one of the last two day events at Austin. They are switching to a one day format starting this week. On the second day we drove exactly six miles. Picture above is the before. Below is the after. The engines were running on full A/C for nearly the complete 3.5 hours of day 2. I failed to check the screen to see the fuel economy. This is a 2 door Bronco so the fuel tank is smaller.
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631028558735

The two different Bronco's I drove each had about 2200 miles on the odometer. First day was a Sasquatch Big Bend with Goodyear tires. Second day was a Non-Squatch Badlands with the optional Goodyear 285 tires. The tires take a lot of abuse.
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631029281778

Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631029562435

Both 2-Doors I drove had the Bestop tops installed. It was way too hot and dusty to try with the top open. Plus some of the overhanging trees maybe a problem with a top open.
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631029436839

Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631029652531

Overall the Off-Roadeo was a great experience. Fun people to meet, great instructors, great facilities.

The Austin Grey Wolf Ranch prior to Off-Roadeo was set up with a really nice Sporting Clays and Five Stand courses. I'm ready for Ford to offer the advanced Off-Roadeo & Clays recreation weekend.
Ford Bronco Austin Off-Roadeo, Auto Start/Stop and other observations 1631030282673

Finally, I need to send some feedback to Off-Roadeo. My wife had the great idea that maps of the Off-Roadeo course would be nice to have. I think Ford should up that since the Bronco's are already capable with on X offroad, why not map out the Off-Roadeo courses and teach the participants how to use those features.
Sponsored

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off-rodeo seems to be relegated to the back page as its more Bronco Nation than Bronco6G, but that's fine and i can completely understand. Still, I can't say enough good things about the experience at the TX event and hope to get the word out that people really SHOULD attend one of these events.

I had a Baja 1000 experienced professional racer as a guide/instructor. He taught us old-school rock crawl methods that used more of the Hero switches (lockers, turn assist, sta-disconnect) as opposed to relying on the GOAT mode auto features. He wanted you to learn to understand the tools/features you were using.

My wife, zero off-road experience, tackled the most difficult climb with only rear locker engaged... and coaching/spotting, of course. She was amazed at what she was able to do in that vehicle.

I own a TJ and rented a late model Wrangler Limited at the airport so that I could compare a new Wrangler with a Bronco. The comparison is a slam dunk(for Bronco) on the highway. Offroad? I think it would be foolish to say the Wrangler is not just as capable with the right build. But, in stock form, the Bronco dominates as you ride in comfort and control on the road and its capabilities off-road easily match the jeep.

The course setup by Ford in TX is quite diverse in course features. From water crossings to rock crawling ascents and descents to high speed Baja like driving.... (after talking to others, I found out the Baja highspeed experience depends on which instructor you have, the size of your group, and time allotment... I was lucky and get to experience some high-speed riding in the course Vaughn designed.) Don't want to get anyone in trouble but there was no speed limit in our experience....It was a blast.

I would venture to say anyone ordering a manual tranny will seriously consider switching to automatic after this experience. The auto tranny and features are just that good.... I could see Ford discontinuing the manual tranny in future years....
I also think (opinion) the 4 door seems to climb better than the 2 door. I watched a 2 door in a slow speed/steep rocking incline nearly rollover. Fortunately, the driver was experienced and turned downhill to stop the rollover just in time. The 4 door seemed to be more stable on that same climb.

Good thing about the Off-rodeo event is that you can drive both if you like and compare for yourself. they have every configuration available and plenty of vehicles.

Bronco Sport attendees do not get the same experience in rock crawling for obvious reasons. But, if you ordered a Sport, my understanding is you can still do the full size bronco experience and I'd bet 100% will change their order....

If thinking about it... Do it...

BTW, don't bother with the host hotel. They treat you right but it is overpriced and not really nicer than a Hampton Inn....Most of the amenities are for children....even at the bar....Yeah, not sure why they allow chlidren in the bar... At any rate, there are better options around and diving to the event is easy.

Cheers,