First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, this one went off the rails quickly. :) The system has a ton of parameters that have to be met before it will work. For example my vehicle (not a Bronco) may, or may not work if the air conditioner is running hard. A quick stop by your dealer may help. As you've seen many of us have a love/hate relationship with the dang thing. :)
Yes it did :) Believe me, I don't care for ASS either. It was just odd when I realized that it wasn't working anymore (again, I don't know if it is broken or if some other parameter is causing it to not "turn on"). It worked from day 1, and for whatever reason, it stopped working about a week ago and I don't know why. Its going in for an oil change later this week and I will have them look at it.

Thanks for this checklist, but none of these apply to me as far as I can tell.

The one thing I have NOT done is to "manually turn off ASS" and then turn it back on again. I am afraid that will chase the gremlin away that is causing the situation, but on the other hand if something is awry with the electronics, I would rather have it fixed by Ford in case it indicates a more serious problem.
Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 2019 F150 with the Auto Stop and Auto Start option, my concern is that the starter is having to work a whole lot more then it should. Shucks, if I am driving thru Myrtle Beach on the main road I can get stopped at 9 lights between my house and the office. That could become 18 unnecessary stops per day Monday thru Friday. If you take the average number of work days per year of 261 (thanks Alexa), subtract 10 for two weeks of vacation per year and multiply by say an average of 12 start/stops per day your total is 3012 auto start stops per year. Multiply that by the national average of 6 years (again Alexa) the number is a whopping 18,072 auto start/stops. Not to mention the actual starting of the truck just to go places. How many starts does a starter have these days?

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will save gas when you are stopped for a length of time, like just missing a red light at a major intersection. Often times however it is only stopped for a few seconds, and this does no good and will certainly cause wear and tear. A great alternative would be a button on the steering wheel allowing the driver to stop the engine when its going to be awhile.

I performed this install yesterday and it works great. Just curious did you have a hard time getting the HVAC control panel out? The top clips didn't want to let go, and I'm pretty sure it would break if I pulled any harder, that would be a major bummer. I ended up tapping the right side top clip from behind with a steel rod and hammer.
Friend helped me, wasnt too bad, just finding the tools in his tool bag was the fun part

we did it by hand, but it all worked out. Skip to 15:22

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you remove the doors? Many o
Not sure if there is a better section to put this in, so mods please move if needed.

I so when I first got my bronco I had to press the button in the middle of the dash to turn off the start/stop functionality.

however sometime in the past week, and I don’t know what caused it, I no longer have to push the button to disable the start/stop. It either no longer works or turns on the next time I restart the car. Not sure which. Also, the light is not activated indicating that the start stop has been manually turned off.

Not sure if this is something I should contact my dealer about, or just enjoy the fact that I no longer have to press the button to disable start/stop.

Has anyone else seen this happen to them?
Did you remove your doors? Many of us who go doorless noticed auto start/stop stopped functioning (and our FordPass would occasionally show a Hill Assist error) when the doors were off. Mine did this, and all returned to normal once the doors went back on.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes it did :) Believe me, I don't care for ASS either. It was just odd when I realized that it wasn't working anymore (again, I don't know if it is broken or if some other parameter is causing it to not "turn on"). It worked from day 1, and for whatever reason, it stopped working about a week ago and I don't know why. Its going in for an oil change later this week and I will have them look at it.

Thanks for this checklist, but none of these apply to me as far as I can tell.

The one thing I have NOT done is to "manually turn off ASS" and then turn it back on again. I am afraid that will chase the gremlin away that is causing the situation, but on the other hand if something is awry with the electronics, I would rather have it fixed by Ford in case it indicates a more serious problem.
Have you checked for any DTC's?

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you remove the doors?
Nope. Have removed the roof panels and cargo cover but not the doors, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Have you checked for any DTC's?
I don't have an OBD II scanner, so cannot do this, but it is going in for an oil change on Thursday and will have them check for a problem.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope. Have removed the roof panels and cargo cover but not the doors, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I don't have an OBD II scanner, so cannot do this, but it is going in for an oil change on Thursday and will have them check for a problem.
Reason I suggest could be a sensor or battery system fault that is locking out the auto start

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

because it's stupid, doesn't really save any gas, causes uneccesary wear and tear on the vehicle. They should have at least given us an option to permanently turn it off if we wanted to. I don't want this crap on my Bronco and like my coworkers new GMC truck I hope it's missing the chip for it.
In sport mode, it stays off.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reason I suggest could be a sensor or battery system fault that is locking out the auto start
I guess I will find out on Weds when I take it in for the oil change. I do not plan to touch the disable switch until then so they techs can see what is going on.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I enjoy the quiet at a light with the Auto Stop Start. It's kind of a breath of fresh air, and if it saves a bit at times, I'm good with it. If it feels like the light is about to change, you can always inch forward and it'll light back up.

But yes, I'd be wondering why it stopped working, always good to keep an eye on symptoms before a vehicle leaves you stranded.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
and dont forget how rough it must be on the starter

I’ll pay extra at the pump to preserve the battery and starter
Honestly, the Starter is sized for the additional cycle load. Your lead-acid battery is not, and the high current draw from constant restarts definitely lowers battery life.

As someone who lives in Phoenix, I feel like I won the lotto if my battery lasts three years as it is.