Sponsored

Automatic On Demand 4x4...is it worth 10 Benjamins?

Adventure bound

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4a applies 50% of the 4x4 power to the front wheels. 4h applies 100% power to the front wheels which is why you have axle wind up on dry pavement. When in 4a it’s just like any other all wheel drive vehicle, the decrease in power to the front wheels allows the vehicle to turn smoothly on dry pavement and still retain the benefit of power to the front wheels.
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4a applies 50% of the 4x4 power to the front wheels. 4h applies 100% power to the front wheels which is why you have axle wind up on dry pavement. When in 4a it’s just like any other all wheel drive vehicle, the decrease in power to the front wheels allows the vehicle to turn smoothly on dry pavement and still retain the benefit of power to the front wheels.
this is so wrong i can't even begin to explain. ?

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not a matter of how much torque is applied up front, its a matter of how rigidly connected it is when it when it happens. When the front is rigidly coupled to the rear, then the wind up occurs.

In either mode, you could have up to 100% of available drive torque at the front, momentarily. "Available" is a key word here. If conditions are all equal and uniform from front to rear, then the torque split is 50/50 front to rear. That's true in either mode.

If the rear completely looses traction, you have 100% of the torque that is actually available to move the truck on the front end. If the front completely looses traction, then the rear is doing 100% of the driving, thus has 100% of the torque that is available. Any level of traction in between sees the instantaneous torque split anywhere in between, depending which has how much traction.

The torque split is dynamic and will float anywhere with the range of 100/0 to 0/100. That is, of course, assuming we have a locked transfer case or clutch in the t-case that is actively coupling the front to rear. This is true anytime you deal with locks and lockers.

OP
OP
KyTruckPlant

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe its in the 7 pages somewhere, but lets start with how you assigned a price tag of $1000 to it. This is presumptive. My impression and feedback is that this might not be a stand alone option but included with Sasquatch but I can't confirm that it is stand alone a la carte or package deal. Was curious how you decided $1000
My assumption was based off of the survey pricing that was sent to some rez holders. I know that's not exact, but is probably pretty close, I would think.

Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have had ford/toyota "AWD," part time 4WD, and a few subarus. For on road driving nothing I know of comes close to the ability of the subaru system, especially an STI. The Subaru WRX STI system has a limited slip & electromagnetic controlled center diff, and helical front and rear diffs so that you are always spinning all four wheels. I've actually driven up wet grass hills in an STI pulling a dirtbike trailer when part time 4WD Xterras, F150s, and Dodges couldn't. Tires mean a lot too. The trucks were sporting BFG KOs and I had blizzaks.

If you rock crawl or go offroad much in slippery conditions, lockers really are nice to have. For everything else aggressive tires do all the work if you're not lifting tires off the ground. On the road, tires are #1 too, but it helps when trying to get going or go up a hill if your vehicle can actually keep all four wheels turning.

My rubicon sucks on slippery roads unless you keep it under 20mph. That's why I always say my jeep can go anywhere...slowly. A good AWD system can keep it on the road at higher speeds, but when it gets really slick, it just means you're going to crash harder.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's really true of anything - when you increase the limits, you also increase how hard you crash when you finally exceed those limits. The goal is to try to make limits high enough that you can't exceed them...

Anyway, most passenger car / crossover AWD systems are all fundamentally the same - they are almost all FWD based and use some form of clutch coupling to connect the rear when required. Haldex does this hydraulically. JTEKT does it with electomagnetic clutches. BW, GKN and others do it similarly. Very few vehicles actually have full-time system with 3 differentials anymore. Part of that is because there's more inherent drag in that, and everyone is hypersensitive about fuel economy. Part of it is also because a lot of the on-demand couplings have gotten really good, at least for the 90% case for the average buyer. And that makes a justifiable compromise for Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc.

But I think a full-time system is going to be fundamentally better performing than a FWD-based coupling. If for no other reason than the couplings are always playing catch-up, reacting to what's going on rather than trying to be proactive. In a car like the STI, you go beyond proactive; having LSDs in all 3 locations, plus a layer of traction control, etc, really maximizes what the car can do. All you need then are good tires...

Its worth noting that Subaru has different AWD systems, depending on transmission. The cars with manual boxes get the full-time, 3-diff system that works so well. Cars with automatics have yet another clutch coupling just like everyone else.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Im all for 4A. Have it on my pick up. My dead end road in mountains has ice patches in curves that are shaded. Most road is dry. So 4His not good option as it’s very curvy so it fights you.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Guess it is one of those things you need to figure out on your own, whether it is worth it.

For me, even though it snows here, it isn't worth it. I've been driving in snow and ice my whole life and am fine with just regular 4H. Pretty much no conditions I've found that I'm not willing to drive my truck in.

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess for some reason I was assuming that the Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement was something that would come standard when you option the 10-speed auto similar to the trail control and trail turn assist. Also looks like the one-pedal driving comes with the 2.7L. Looking at the website now I see that the Advanced 4x4 is not dependent upon either the 2.7L or 10-speed options, or at least it doesn't come out and say it. Now I'm concerned about how much that option is going to cost.
Somewhere at the beginning of this I thought it may be around $1300 but recently someone posted the guess price build by comparing and thought the advanced 4x4 was $600.

I also thought they would charge and extra $1000 for the aux switches option until I saw the switches on the Ford F 150 ? or Ranger build listed for $165.
Sponsored